Interesting Apple rumor!

Posted by: MacGizmo

Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 11:18 AM

This from macrumors.com:<br><br>Despite several false starts, iPods continue to be expected shortly with minor updates. Features such as color screens and FW800 are not expected according to reliable rumors.<br><br>The iPod updates may, however, bring us a new unexpected service from Apple.<br><br>Sources report that Apple will be introducing an MP3 music-downloading service to users. The service partner to provide the music has not yet been identified, but songs are expected to cost $0.99 per song.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 11:34 AM

Heh.<br><br>Stop with the rumors about iPods. In MWSF every mac site was rumoring that there would be the new pods.<br><br>And now every tuesday new rumors that there will be the new ones.<br><br><br>So, maybe in MWNY...<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: bganey

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 12:17 PM

It's a great idea, but I wonder about the bit rate. I wouldn't pay 99 cents a song if it was any less than 256K....anything less has no value for me. <br><br>I am assuming higher bit rates would be available...99 cents per song is premium pricing....listen.com sells songs (to Windows users only) at 49 cents a song. <br><br>A very exciting development, if true. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 12:20 PM

i keep my bitrate at 192 and i cannot tell when i am listening to an audio CD or an mp3. you probably have better ears than i do...and, probably better sound equipment (i use the pro speakers and there is no discernible difference on those speakers).<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 12:22 PM

You're actually very right when it comes to listening on a computer...there is really no audible difference between 160 and 320...but...and here is the but...if you want to buy those songs, you're going to want to burn them to a CD...and when iTunes rebuilds the AIFF file, lower bit rate MP3s sound terrible. <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 12:22 PM

I would imagine they would sell the songs at the highest bit rate possible, and what you do with the song after that (downsample it, etc...) is completely up to you...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 12:24 PM

Right...now, if they really want my business, make the full-sized AIFF file available for download...which will never happen. <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 01:34 PM

Why did you want the AIFF again?<br><br>What about mp4's?<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 03:11 PM

Just for burning CDs...MP3's and MP4's are compressed audio...and when that compressed audio is converted to an AIFF and burned (so it can be played on a standard CD player) it doesn't sound anywhere close to the original. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Interesting Apple rumor! - 02/27/03 06:22 PM

But why would you want to burn a CD? I mean..come on! You are downloading for your iPod <br><br>