20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store

Posted by: MacGizmo

20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/20/09 05:33 AM

Anyone notice that the 20" Cinema Displays are nowhere to be found on the Apple Store online? The new 24" and the old 30" are still there, but the 20" is A.W.O.L.

That either means they've got a new low-end (the 24") - with adapters for older Macs on the way, or we'll have a new 20-24" LCD coming soon.
Posted by: FSM

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/20/09 07:24 AM

i read an article yesterday that said that they aren't making the 20" displays any more. the article also noted that they don't appear to be buying any more 30" displays from the supplier so expect them to drop that line as well.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/20/09 07:26 AM

The transition to LED continues?

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/20/09 04:13 PM

I'm sure it's just a switch to LED monitors with iSights. I also suspect that the 24" is probably the new low end.
Posted by: carp

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/20/09 09:42 PM

What I find interesting is all these ISPs introducing "video conferencing" for a price.

Now don't we have that with iChat ? already

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/22/09 07:02 AM

No, not really. The video conferencing offered by most ISPs (though not all) is of a MUCH higher bandwidth. iChat is cute and all, but try adding more than 4 or 5 people to it and see how well it works.

Not to mention that true video conferencing usually involves a dedicated camera and TV set, which can capture an entire conference room, with separate audio/video sources, etc. in the software.
Posted by: carp

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/22/09 01:08 PM

Well
What I see is one person on TV and a conference room watching the one person - but yes much higher band width to support a full screen .

I have chatted with the max of 3 on screen , and the quality was okay . If Apple would upgrade the camera and you get higher band , you could just use an iMac instead of spending all that cash
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: 20" Cinema Displays are gone from Apple store - 02/22/09 01:25 PM

I think the President uses iChat! I know they have meetings and everyone is not always present in the same room. If not, . . .

I think the government should check with Carp and Apple for an upgraded camera and get higher band, then the President could save a lot of money and use iMac instead of spending all the voters' money on needless high priced equipment!

/maybe I have tongue in cheek?

smile