No Jobs Keynote at MW this year

Posted by: zwei

No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 02:14 PM

And no more Apple at MW after this year.

holycowMG-o
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 02:57 PM

There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now.
Posted by: margadagio

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:06 PM

So sad. I can't imagine a year without MW. frown

AAPL = $65 by year end.

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:25 PM

I'm guessing since Apple gets enough attention any time they want with web events they are giving up on old low-tech ways to get their message out. I agree with that part, but man did I have a blast waiting in line for the keynote. A LOT of people are going to miss that.

I'm sure this has to do with Steve trying to get the spotlight off of him and showing people Apple isn't going to disappear if/when he does. Although you can bet a metric crap ton of "Jobs teh dying" stories are about to hit the fan. frown

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:38 PM

[censored] has already hit the fan. "SJ's is dying" is in full swing with the analysts. Stock price is down in after hours trading.

I'm sorry I never had the chance to attend a keynote. My first MW was spent setting up the MacCentral Mosaic booth. The second year I was broke and couldn't afford the ticket. I'd hoped to get out to SF someday. Oh well...

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei

I'm sure this has to do with Steve trying to get the spotlight off of him and showing people Apple isn't going to disappear if/when he does.

Agreed.
Apple will continue to hold special events for new products on their own timetable.
Hopefully this will end the"Announcing new product that won't ship for three months" syndrome.
AAPL will take a hit, but it will work out for the best.
It had to happen sooner or later.

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:48 PM

I agree it does make sense but it's sad nonetheless.

I have fond memories of all the fun we had guessing what great new thing would be unveiled at MW. The speculation was a laugh to read sometimes.

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 03:56 PM

I know.
frown
It was like a second Christmas.
But I do believe all the speculation and rumors are what drives the stock price down.
Analysts and journalists guess what will be introduced, and when it doesn't, the stock tanks.
It's just not right. I think this will help.
(Unfortunately/Fortunately, I don't own any stocks)
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 04:27 PM

I always looked forward to MacWorld. This is sad, especially since it won't be Jobs giving the farewell keynote...
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 05:41 PM

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crÍpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 05:59 PM

I never thought I would read Auden's poem and laugh. Just a few nights ago I was watching 3 weddings and a funeral and cried at this part again.

Or was it 4 weddings?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/16/08 06:16 PM

It's a great poem.

Four weddings.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 12:43 AM

Well, technically 3, since one of them didn't go through (oh god, this is sad...)
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 02:19 AM

MacWorld Expo shall be called noMacWorld Expo.
Steve Jobs will next be seen in a white linen suit and bowling shoes.
The bite from the Apple logo will be filled and a dollar sign will adorn the center.
We shall all become bored with each other and take up knitting.
Someone will turn off the sun.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 04:12 AM

Newsflash: Apple quits MacWorld Expo, profits up $1.3 million immediately.

That's about how much they're probably spending on just being there. And for what? Anyone who wants to know what's going on can find out via the Interwebs days before anyway. The bummer is the fact that all those software/hardware vendors besides Apple are losing out on some great publicity. But perhaps they can use that money to promote themselves online... maybe by purchasing that empty banner ad spot on TheGraphicMac!!!!
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 07:31 AM

Newslfash? Sounds like a character from a fantasy novel...
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 07:38 AM

I think all the rest of the usual MacWorld vendors should pull out and hire that guy, James Dempsey, to start and maintain a fresh marketing strategy! grin
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Analysts and journalists guess what will be introduced, and when it doesn't, the stock tanks.

Or, they were right and the stock tanks. laugh
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 09:26 AM

OK, had to search for this post, but finally found it.

This truly is the end of an era. My parents used to go to MacWorld Expo for years. And it is not like I am some teenager making that statement.

Apple has changed and evolved as has the marketplace. The timing is interesting though. Maybe Mr. Jobs is well and healthy (hopefully), and he just grew weary of the endless speculative deathwatch commentary. They certainly don't need the MW Expo to sell products anymore, but it sure was fun for us while it lasted.

Chris
Posted by: soulotomy

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 04:01 PM

Yeah, things have changed. IDs used to be able to get rich designing exhibits and stuff for trade shows, with Comdex being the big thing, with vendors jonesing that extra edge and trashing their stuff and going all new custom year after year after year, exhibit space fees, maintaining staff-manager-etc just for trade shows, diversion of other staff/personnel time/resources, storage and transportation costs, setup/teardown costs, the manning staff (often SMEs, a valuable resource), personnel perdiem and transportation costs, etc, etc, a lot of overhead.

But vendors don't go to trade shows anymore. Comdex is basically dead, as are all the others. There's other ways of reaching and connecting with your publics, in a lot more engaging way (and a whole lot cheaper and effective).

They'll probably always be around, though. It's historical and a bonafide way of doing stuff, and a writeoff for those companies and CEOs and sycophant marketing and sales dudes who like going off to Paris, wherever, to party, act expert, talk smack, and trade business cards.

Ed
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Mississauga
MacWorld Expo shall be called noMacWorld Expo.
Steve Jobs will next be seen in a white linen suit and bowling shoes.
The bite from the Apple logo will be filled and a dollar sign will adorn the center.
We shall all become bored with each other and take up knitting.
Someone will turn off the sun.

Or a gray suit and barefoot...

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/17/08 08:15 PM

It's a shame that they couldn't just "downscale" the whole thing.
Posted by: carp

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 10:06 AM

I am assuming that Apple will keep the WWDC for new roll outs ?

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
I am assuming that Apple will keep the WWDC for new roll outs ?

They will just roll out products whenever they can via special events. Apple has no problem whatsoever getting attention when they want it. As far as WWDC goes ..that's a heck of a lot different than MW. It's geared toward the OS/Software side and I don't expect to see them announce much hardware stuff there.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 10:20 AM

Apple has no problem whatsoever getting attention when they want it.
Yep, good observation, I think that's the whole point.
Posted by: carp

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 10:28 AM

Right but WWDC already has the media attention , news TV that kind of stuff

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Apple has no problem whatsoever getting attention when they want it.
Yep, good observation, I think that's the whole point.

That, and the fact I'm sure they don't want to work on anyone else's time table. It's great for us to hear "Oh, and one more thing" ...but I bet it's a pain in the arse to actually figure out and implement one of those per year. Especially if he has to say it's going to be shipping months down the road. With those kind of announcements you can easily run into scenarios where the final product has veered off the feature roadmap and some things had to be cut or delayed.

If it were up to me I'd prefer they didn't announce anything until I could buy it. Period. I hate having to wait for something I'm drooling over. smile
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 11:11 AM

My favorite trade show to attend these days for our industry (grocery) is the Fancy Food Show. Lots and lots of gourmet food of all types filling the Moscone Center. Great cheeses, olives, snacks, meats, baked goods, etc. ad infinitum... It does beg the question though, what can one do with literally hundreds of different brands of olive oil?

The food aspect is pretty interesting, but the endless bizcards from dickheaded won't take no salesmen, pitches, impromptu cardboard and electronic glitzy presentations is a bit much after about two minutes. One of my least favorite cliches spoken repeatedly and so insincerely at every one of these events: "Have a great show!" If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...

Anyways, it still is kind of an interesting trip to go to the city for a couple of days and one of my co-workers and I may be attending in January. We usually eat well and hit a couple of jazz or blues spots, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.

Chris
Posted by: soulotomy

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/18/08 06:23 PM

Well, if you can, check out Boz Scaggs's club, Slim's.

Have fun up there. That's about an hour or so north of me, depending on traffic on 101, or 101 and 280 bypass (101 near the city can be pretty bad). There's a ton of photographic vignettes/vistas, too, all over the city, as you're aware, so don't forget that camera. There's really some spectacular vistas at Half Moon Bay, on the coast, but that might be a little out of your way, though - Might have some 20+' waves or greater, though.

Have fun,

Ed

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/19/08 04:54 AM

Apple has finally decided to put an end to the mess that is MacWorld. Not that the show itself was bad, but every year their stock takes a dive when the "announcements" don't live up to what analysts expected (which was usually derived from stupid rumors on the Internet). As already stated, it's kind of tough to have a yearly deadline to roll out new hardware/software if you simply aren't ready to do so - then you're stuck trying to polish a turd for the sake of impressing the media.

MacWorld will probably cease to exist after next year. I'm sure IDG will cancel the show. That sucks for Mac enthusiasts, but it's probably better for Apple in the long run.
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: No Jobs Keynote at MW this year - 12/19/08 08:29 AM

Macworld Expo is over!

What's next is MacTech Expo OBVIOUSLY!