The official - OMG - SteveNote thread

Posted by: GingerBreadMan

The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:06 AM

I figured I would start the thread. We can post our OMG OMG OMG OMG in here <br><br>I'm following on http://www.macrumorslive.com<br><br>People are being seated! OMG OMG OMG!<br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: yoyo52

Time Capsule OMG OMG OMG - 01/15/08 09:22 AM

<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Time Capsule OMG OMG OMG - 01/15/08 09:22 AM

OMG OMG OMG - Time Capsule - Looks like AppleTV! OMG OMG OMG<br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:31 AM

OMG! OMG!<br><br>Was it poly who was anticipating the maps thing?<br>"9:26 am Maps with location, Webclips, Customize home screen, SMS multiple people"<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:34 AM

OMG<br><br>Airport with a HD<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:34 AM

We're watching this at work.<br>http://www.macrumorslive.com/<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: margadagio

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:36 AM

OMG! New apps for the iPhone I don't have.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:36 AM

Mail for the iPod Touch! OMG OMG OMG OMG!<br><br><br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:37 AM

is it doing the maps by gps? I don't think so. meh.<br><br>Maps, Mail, Stocks, Notes, and Weather for iTouch, tasty but no gps<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:37 AM

Yeah, but $20 for mail on the Touch<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:38 AM

OMG OMG OMG<br><br>Now it's the boring iTunes stuff. Booooriiiing.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:39 AM

Me thinks that Time Capsule will be back in the discussion later as a "tivo-like" device to record TV shows to in conjunction with Apple TV.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Movie Rentals OMG OMG OMG - 01/15/08 09:39 AM

<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:40 AM

HA, but I can't get an iPhone in Canada, so the iPod touch is the next best thing. I really wanted Mail on this thing! OMG OMG OMG!<br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Re: Movie Rentals OMG OMG OMG - 01/15/08 09:40 AM

Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, FOx, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal, Sony all on board<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:45 AM

No 3G iPhone OMG OMG...I guess with those numbers sold in the US they don't even need to bother about Europe right now.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:46 AM

Apple TV Take 2... oooohhhhhhh!<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: garyW

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:48 AM

HD + Dolby 5.1 downloads. That's a good thing.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:51 AM

Well, they should also start selling them movies in iTunes in the near future, IMO. Or something.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:52 AM

blades of glory, apple is putting the bone in zamboni!!!<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:53 AM

"9:51 am Steve demoed starting a movie just after having rented it. Note he has an extremely fast connection. The movie was downloading at 1% per second."<br><br>OMG OMG OMG<br><br>Is it Blades of Glory he's d/l'ing? OMG OMG OMG<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:57 AM

I gathered that all this is available at iTMS--am I wrong? The whole AppleTV stuff is under the "3rd thing," which is all about iTunes. Incidentally, I wonder when the name is going to change from iTunes to iEverything?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 09:59 AM

That's my impression too. They're just referring to iTMS as iTunes, but they seem to be cramming everything and the kitchen sink under iTunes.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:01 AM

"9:59 am Music can be bought from within Apple TV"<br>OMG OMG OMG<br>WEBTV is FINALLY here!!! Only took, what, a decade. :P<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:02 AM

And it's a free software update OMG OMG OMG<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:03 AM

And a price drop OMG OMG OMG<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:09 AM

4th thing 4th thing in the air !!!! omg<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:10 AM

"The World's Thinnest Notebook"<br><br>yeah baby oh em geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:10 AM

Once again, rumor sites and leaked photos have taken all the 'air' out of this key note. <br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:11 AM

"And now, the thing, youšve all been waiting for...<br><br>"10:08 am As you know, Apple makes the best notebooks in the industry. Today, we are introducing a third kind of notebook. It's called the MacBook Air"<br><br>OMGOMGOMGOMGOGM<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:11 AM

make it more pro and less book !!!!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:13 AM

MacBook Air is 0.16" to 0.76". The thickest part of the MacBook Air is thinner than the thinnest part of the Sony. It fits inside a envelope<br><br>my photos

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:19 AM

"10:18 am Apple asked Intel to shrink the Core 2 Duo. Intel shrunk the processor by 60%. Paul Otellini, CEO of Intel is taking the stage"<br><br>Hehehe<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:25 AM

Micro-DVI out. Well duh, if you can't do a powerpoint off it what is the point?<br><br>5 hours battery? wha tis this optional 64gb instead of the hard drive.? Me think battery last longer no spinny hd<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:27 AM

5 hours of battery life if it's just sitting on your desk in sleep mode. <br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:27 AM

1799 OK how much fro the 64 GB SSD model and can I get that in two weeks too?<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:28 AM

no optical drive ..... OMG???<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:32 AM

"10:23 am No optical drive, but a Superdrive accessory is available for $99. Also, software comes with the MacBook Air that allows you to "borrow" a Mac or PCs optical drive."<br><br>Well, I guess most will get that accessory drive along with it. And then the price is closing on the low-end MBPs.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:39 AM

Yet another craptacular Macworld, eh?! <br><br>I'm already waiting for the idiots who actually buy this laptop to start complaining that it's underpowered, underfeatured and overpriced.<br><br>And no Leopard OS update??? WHAT?<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:39 AM

Why get an accessory drive if you have another macintosh? Firewire connect and target drive it. NBD. It is the micro DVI connector and the 64 GB mem drive which will drive the price of the one I am buying up.<br><br>I don't use laptops to play games or watch movies so the optical drive can go away. I wish it were a little less tall but boy is it thin.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:43 AM

The Store is open.<br><br>It looks like the SSD is a thousand dollar upgrade.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:45 AM

Yeah, byut if you're on the road and need an optical drive? It is a portable. And did it even have FW? Thin and nice it indeed is, though.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>It looks like the SSD is a thousand dollar upgrade.<p><hr></blockquote><p> Ouch, I was going to do it if it was 400 more.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 10:48 AM

Geez-usss...one must want it really badly if one is willing to pay $2799 for it. <br><br>Well, that MBA would certainly impress the ladies.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:01 AM

Just ran into the first buzz kill. The battery is built in like an iPod.<br>"Integrated 37-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery" <br>So no spare battery. No option when the battery dies but tether it to a charger.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:11 AM

Check your Software Update...<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: zwei

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:15 AM

With the SSD it's over $3000 <br><br>Nice, indeed, but shcnikeys!@ ....how about a 32gb version *cough*<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:29 AM

64 GB seems so small these days. hmmm.<br><br>otherwise, i can live with the rest.<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:33 AM

OMG !<br>The iPhone update is out !<br>Check your iTunes<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:37 AM

Are they giving out the iPhone update for free?<br><br>my photos

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:39 AM

That is 64GB of non spinning hard drive. Solid state. As in does not use nearly as much power. You can get the 80GB but it spins. <br><br>This thing has low energy LED screen, tiny nickle thick dime size cpu, low energy hard drive if you pick the solid state. So what gets hot? The battery but what is drawing power to make it hot? Not much.<br><br>I have two concerns. The solid state drive is too much add on price. A thousand bucks. I would like to not worry about bumping this thing but at 3 thousand total makes it a little more precious than 1799. Got to look at the dot edu. <br>My other concern is the battery cannot be popped out. I like to stick a new battery into a laptop once a year just to bring it back up to par. That is out with this one as well as bringing a just in case battery. On a plane I like the spare battery. I suppose a third party will come out with a slim add on battery.<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:39 AM

Yes it is free iTunes is installing the update now<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 11:44 AM

.edu is <br><br> <br>Subtotal $2,598.00<br><br>Estimated Ship:<br>2-3 weeks<br>Free Shipping<br>Specifications<br><br> * 1.60GHz Intel Core 2 Duo<br> * 64GB Solid State Drive<br> * Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English<br> * Accessory kit<br><br>my photos

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 12:02 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>is it doing the maps by gps? I don't think so. meh.<p><hr></blockquote><p> I don't THINK it has GPS, but it has something like it according to the Touch maps page - it states it will find your approximate location via WiFi and give directions to your destination from that point.<br><br><br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 02:19 PM

Nope, not GPS. It triangulates from Wi-Fi hot spots and cell towers.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 02:35 PM

Yup just watched the keynote and no GPS. It has poor man's GPS. They have two databases of triangulation data. A company drives around and detects all wireless nodes then those signals are read even if you are not logging in and used to fix a position. Google also triangulates all microwave towers so that info can be used on the iPhone also (the wifi database is the only one for the iTouch.)<br><br>To me this is dipshi[i][/i]t. In a city you can get 50 yards but you cannot get turn by turn sensitivity. Not even close. Why Apple is not using the totally free 15 billion dollar system 12,000 miles up with GPS is beyond me. Can they not swing a deal with Garmin? Or does Garmin know this is going to have to be a mega deal because they will be giving away their future? But Apple should be able to do this without a deal. GPS receiver technology is government owned. The electronics is not the issue. It's cheap and very small and probably already in there because phones have to show location matched to 911 calls.<br><br>The only thing I can think of for holding it out is to keep another card in the pocket. People will gaga over the iPhone even thought my old RAZR blows it away with GPS software. Steve will just add GPS when sales slow down. Then when they slow again add VOIP and leave ATT holding the bag. He's no dummy.<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/15/08 02:48 PM

i installed this just before a 3 - 5 mtg. i clicked on the Find me addition on my iPhone on the drive in. it gave me a circle that was about 6 blocks big and the center was off by about a block. in my meeting, i was next to a window (on our downtown campus). i tried it again and i was still in the circle, but the center was about 3 blocks away. hmmm. nice to have . . . particularly when i want a quick map of my current whereabouts. so there's that. <br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 07:44 AM

From MacRumors:<br><br>iPhone/iPod Touch Location Technology<br><br>While some had speculated that Apple would simply be incorporating Google's recently announced location services into the new software, Apple has actually used a hybrid technology that uses both Google's data (using cellular triangulation) and data from Skyhook Wireless (using a database of known Wi-Fi hotspot locations) to pinpoint the location. This enables the location feature to be used on the iPod touch, which cannot use Google's service due to lack of cellular capabilities, but can utilize Skyhook's Wi-Fi database.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 09:16 AM

Yup, totally fake location finding software. Berely worth the fun factor of loading it on the phone. I pine for real GPS which should be on both the iTouch and iPhone. Shoot, it should be in the MBAir. Then you could load on some software that would send you the location of wifi and if it was stolen you could hunt them down. Now that would be fun.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 09:24 AM

I know you said that you already had a phone with GPS on it, so I don't know if this still holds true... but don't GPS receivers use a buttload of energy?<br><br>I have a small handheld Garmin. Its not a new model, so maybe the power supply technology has changed a lot, but it EATS AAs like they're going out of style.<br><br>Apple's whole reasoning for not including 3G as a network is the current battery would get munched, so I wonder if GPS wouldn't do the same thing.<br><br>I'm happy to have the Google technology. (that doesn't mean I won't be getting a 3G/GPS iPhone in the future)<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 10:06 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but don't GPS receivers use a buttload of energy?<p><hr></blockquote><p> No, they don't anymore. As with your old GPSR unit, they used to. The antennae technology improved a bunch so the receiving uses far fewer watts.<br><br>My RAZR can run all day doing GPS and phone and the GPS acquisition does not seem to burn anything additive at all. As I just found out in San Diego though it is the roaming which sucks the thing dry. But when using it as GPS it makes a short 30 second phone call to lookup the map. Then from then out it is only receiving from the satellites and will let you drive all the way across state with no problem.<br><br>Being able to tell the phone to forget about roaming and you only want to make outgoing calls and use GPS would be the battery saver feature I would want. I bet I could do that with the RAZR but I would have to first find the manual. Maybe Sarge will tell me how to do it.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 10:10 AM

Hmmm... well then it would be nice to have when we go backpacking (iPod, phone, GPS, camera (sort of) all in one). Bring my little Solio solar charger and we're set.<br><br>Obviously Apple left things out, maybe on purpose, who knows. For example, you can take pictures and email them, but you can't send OR RECEIVE them via SMS. What?? All phones do that now.<br><br>

Re: The official - OMG - SteveNote thread - 01/16/08 11:07 AM

For backpacking I would not rely on a GPS receiver which needs to call out on a cell tower to activate. You could easily be screwed in not so remote places. When I go four wheel driving in Utah I can go all day without being able to use a cell.<br><br>In hiking I would always take a stand alone GPS unit as well as a good topo and a compass. And make sure the map and compass do not require batteries. One can really screw oneself relying on only one GPS but you knew that. Like that computer advice dude who screwed his whole family following a GPS track across a mountain range in the winter a year or two back. Better to look up and think, "hmm, time to turn back as this road doesn't look like a road anymore."<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>