AAPL

Posted by: FSM

AAPL - 08/09/07 12:32 PM

man, i should have had a sell mechanism built into my AAPL stock because it's way down today. i could have sold at 133 and then bought back at 125 or lower tomorrow and saved lot of money like David does. what a big sell off. i wonder what's causing it. i see almost everything is down a little bit, but AAPL is down 6.5%.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: APPL - 08/09/07 12:34 PM

Dangit, AAPL is down too! <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: APPL - 08/09/07 12:47 PM

The whole market is down. You name it and it's nose dived. It's not just the US, it's everywhere. AAPL is the LEAST of my worries right now. <br><br>

Re: APPL - 08/09/07 01:07 PM

everything is down from 1% - 3%, but AAPL is double that or more.<br><br>EDIT: i hadn't looked since my original post and AAPL has recovered a bit and it's only 5% now. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FSM on 08/09/07 04:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Pete

Re: APPL - 08/09/07 01:12 PM

Damn you and your 'Edit' button.<br><br>

Re: APPL - 08/09/07 01:44 PM

it's still in the subject. <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: AAPL - 08/09/07 07:10 PM

Don't blame me ... I did't sell any...<br><br>well this week !<br><br>I dropped out 7-10 days ago at $140, bought back at $134 and then got knocked off at $132, 2 days later. I never bought back in ... was sizing the situation.<br><br>I've been hesitant for weeks - not about AAPL, but the whole market is VERY soft cause of the Housing / Mortgage sector.<br>I hope to H3LL I'm wrong but I think a big downturn is coming.<br>Too many people over-extended and can't pay up... it's a domino effect. <br><br>Bummer because my retirement fund is stagnant now...<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: AAPL - 08/09/07 07:36 PM

yeah, my stocks got hit hard. i have more shares of Yahoo than anything else and i only lost 7 cents/share on it today, so at least i've got that. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 03:05 AM

Question: is the housing/mortgage downturn due to people being stupid and getting into ARM loans or because mortgage companies were making it easier for people with bad credit to get into loans?<br><br>Or a combo of both?<br><br>Personally I think it's the people being stupid to get into the loans.<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: DLC

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 03:37 AM

IMHO- it's BOTH.<br><br>In the past stupid people were stopped from making Stupid mistakes because of rigorous credit practices...<br><br>The lenders got greedy (developers too) and loosened the requirements (to make many quick loans) and many people figured they could overextend themselves (buying say a $250K house instead of a $125K or borrowing on an existing mortgage to pay off debts) assuming in 5 years their income would go up 30-50% and they could make the payments when the cheap introductory payments expired... and it didn't happen.<br>Wages are relatively stagnant due to jobs going overseas, corporate mergers, consolidation of money in the top 2% of wage earners... <br><br>They're ALL (lenders and borrowers) hitting the brick wall going 90 mph.<br>I expect more "fallout"... maybe even a recession.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 04:45 AM

When we sold our house, the woman that bought it got one of those ARM loans. I felt sorry for her because I don't think she really knew what she was getting into.<br><br>When we looked at houses, our goal was to get one that was easily affordable because we didn't want to work for our houses...we wanted to travel!<br><br>my beer blog

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 05:01 AM

"our goal was to get one that was easily affordable because we didn't want to work for our houses...we wanted to travel!"<br><br>Geez, are you ever smart. I was like that. Being a slave to your home for the rest of your life sure can't be any joy. One day those people will wake up and realize life has passed them by and they haven't really lived. There IS more to life than collecting "stuff". Why do folks get in over their heads for something that means little in the long run? I grew up in a small home with 4 kids and one bathroom. These days I've seen some folks go up to their eyeballs in debt so they can have a bathroom each. Not only that but they have the best furniture and the biggest TV's. Just sad.<br><br><br><br>

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 05:31 AM

Thanks. Yeah, we could have gotten bigger but why? We have just about everything we need in this house.<br><br>I have been in some nice big houses that were basically empty because they couldn't afford all the furniture! All because they want to look good in the eyes of their friends. <br><br>my beer blog

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 05:35 AM

I've often wondered why the "Jones's" were so special. <br><br>

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 05:45 AM

No kidding! The Jonses that I knew were nothing but rednecks. <br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: bookrat

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 06:50 AM

Apologies for going off topic...<br><br>I don't know what your ARM loans are (something to do with an arm and a leg? ) but I just think it is plain crazy and stupid that some loan providers here are offering 100% loans i.e. they lend you the 100% value of the property. It used to be that you could borrow a maximum of 80% of the value of the property.<br><br>Our Reserve Bank has just raised the official interest rate by .25% and there is much talk about a significant rise in loan defaulters. Seriously!!! We are only on about 6.5% to 7.5% interest and this is happening?!?! Many years ago we hit rates of 16-17% and families somehow survived.<br><br>

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 06:53 AM

ARM is Adjustable Rate Mortgage. A loan that for say 3 years stays really low, lower than the prime rate I think, then it adjusts to the market rate. I think. I am not positive on the definition but it basically goes up based on the market. <br><br>Someone correct me if I'm wrong.<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Lea

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 07:34 AM

Little Sister makes a good argument for never owning a house. Besides the obvious upkeep, + insurance, taxes, interest, at the end of the day, what do you have? Some equity, but most people are still carrying the debt. Balanced against renting over 20-30 years . . . wish she was here, she can do the math better than me. And she's owned a couple of times, so she's got her rationale.<br><br>Thank the stars I married a really smart guy. He handles the heavy lifting when it comes to major finance decisions and our house payment is so low y'all would spill your coffee.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Just push play ~ They're gonna bleep it anyway ~ </font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 11:10 AM

ARMs fluctuate with the interest rate--not prime, but whatever the going rate is at the time. The period for readjustment varies from loan to loan. In some cases the adjustment takes place annually, in some other cases it takes place every two or three years. You're really betting that the Fed won't raise interest rates if you do one of these. But then for a fixed rate you're actually betting that the Fed won't lower them. There's no sure thing <br><br>

Re: AAPL - 08/10/07 11:14 AM

Yeah,but a fixed rate is MUCH better since if the rate does get lowered, you can refinance at that lower rate. <br><br>my beer blog