Anybody still use Classic?

Posted by: Bryan

Anybody still use Classic? - 11/29/04 07:15 PM

I haven't had it on my computer in 3 years....I was wondering, does anybody still use Classic?<br><br>Will Apple ever eliminate it from the OS?<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/29/04 08:44 PM

I use it occasionally for software that I use so rarely that paying to update the software makes no sense. I also use 9.1 on my old G3 to run a SCSI film scanner and to remind me of what a snappy OS looked like.<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/29/04 09:27 PM

I haven't used it at home since DP4 came out... I haven't used it at my main computer at work for almost 2 years. I miss some of the apps and the overall snappiness... But I'll never use it full time ever again... nor will I put it on my system ever again...<br><br>

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/29/04 11:28 PM

Snappy indeed...it is lightning fast!<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 06:39 AM

I'm pretty sure the G5s we just got didn't have classic installed upon arrival. (we formatted them immediately, so I don't know for sure) <br><br>Been a LONG time since I've used classic.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 07:04 AM

lighting fast to freeze your computer for a restart.<br><br>remember OS9 tricked you into thinking it could do 2 things at once.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 07:11 AM

Use it at work for a few third-party apps, but not at home since I switched to InDesign and upgraded to Panther...<br><br>Actually, for some reason my machine would not boot off the OS9 disk the last time I went for the fresh install, so I just made due without it. I got in the habit of having OS9 on my machines, just in case something went screwy with 10 and I needed to recover some data. Now 10's as rock solid as they come and I haven't needed 9 at all.<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 07:50 AM

That's actually the main thing I miss from 10 when I go back into 9. <br><br>I've also noticed XP isn't very good at multitasking either. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 10:02 AM

I'm still stuck with it for work. We have many vendors that still won't accept anything but QXP 4 files (and a few "forward thinking test pilots" that will take QXP 5). <br><br>I have zero Classic apps on my PB. And if I do need classic for anything, I plug into my LaCie external, where I still have my Classic stuff. In fact, I may go the same route on my home DT in the near future.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 11/30/04 10:24 AM

OS9 (and prior OS versions) was a great operating system, and I didn't have many problems with it at all. That being said, it seems like OS9 was a real mess now that we have X to compare it to and 9 is STILL better than ANY flavor of Windows, IMO.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 12/01/04 06:01 PM

I never use it at home but i also must use it at work for certain clients that are still using Quark 4. We also have a brain trust here at the corp that in his infinite prepress wisdom decided to purchase a variable print package that only works in InDesign and InDesign can only import Quark 4 files.<br><br>We also need it for Preps as Creo will rape us if we want to upgrade to the OS X version.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 12/02/04 07:49 AM

I didn't have the crashing problems in OS 7,8, and 9 that others seemed to have, but the multitasking was terrible or non-existent when launching apps. That's the big advantage for me, and the real multi-user capability.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 12/02/04 08:16 AM

Crashing, BAD!!!<br><br><br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: Anybody still use Classic? - 12/02/04 12:32 PM

One thing that used to just frost me was when I would be burning a CD in Toast 4 in OS 9...not so much Toast 5 when it came out for OS 9 (cause it didn't hog the whole computer) but Toast 4 would freeze my computer solid all the time...creating a coaster and the need for a hard reset. <br><br>Since being in the land of X, I've never had a hard freeze. I had some kernel panics in 10.0 and 10.1, but 10.2 and beyond has been stable. <br><br>