Posted by: Optimus_George

Cherry OS - 10/13/04 04:46 PM

This is cool.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Cherry OS - 10/14/04 06:07 AM

[censored]! <br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Cherry OS - 10/14/04 06:47 AM

Yep - red flag went up as soon as I saw that.<br><br>Even if it was real, it wouldn't be that cool. Apple makes their money on hardware, not software. A cherry OS sale could be a lost Mac sale. A MacOS X sale doesn't make up for it.<br><br>Also, I can see Apple suing over this (again, if it is real). I know some of you are thinking "But Apple promotes VirtualPC." The difference is that MS allows their OS to be used on any third party hardware. Apple does not. Virtual PC is just like someone's hardware PC to MS.<br><br>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: Cherry OS - 10/14/04 07:14 AM

I did a story on my website about it that hopefully can give you some insight as why this is a scam. I've had a good response to it through my forums and through email. I've been able to add some of these elements to the story.<br><br>http://www.jackwhispers.com/jackwhispersII.html<br><br><br><br>www.adzoox.com & www.jackwhispers.com

Re: Cherry OS - 10/16/04 08:32 AM

You have a few inaccurate things in your review.<br><br>First, when they say it runs at 80%, they meant 80% of the speed of the G4, not the Pentium you're running it on. Second, SpyMac was sold off about 2.5 years ago. The current ownership are NOT the same people who ran the original "rumor site" that showed the iWalk video.<br><br>But in the end, you're right... it's BS.<br><br>

Re: Cherry OS - 10/16/04 12:47 PM

They changed their speed claims. When I first saw the site, it said a 1GHz P3 would run CherryOS at the speed of a 800MHz G3. When I went back to the site, that claim was gone.<br><br>That would be a pretty good trick, considering an 800MHz G3 is faster than a 1GHz P3.<br><br>

Re: Cherry OS - 10/16/04 04:05 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>considering an 800MHz G3 is faster than a 1GHz P3.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>You've been drinking too much Apple Kool-Aid!!! <br><br>

Re: Cherry OS - 10/18/04 10:23 AM

Apparently, but the kool-aid works. A year ago, I was using an 800MHz P3 at work, and an iBook 466MHz at home. The iBook always played video smoother, ran java applets faster, etc.<br><br>Now I have a 2.6GHz P4 at work and a 1GHz PowerBook at home - the powerbook still does a lot of things better. Some things the PC is faster on.<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hayesk on 10/18/04 01:24 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Cherry OS - 10/18/04 12:38 PM

A great show of the Pentium speed compared to the Mac (and believe me, I hate to admit it!) is opening Acrobat on the Mac vs. the PC. The Mac is painfully slow in comparison!<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Cherry OS - 10/18/04 02:05 PM

That sounds like it could be a development problem on behalf of Adobe. They certainly are focusing more on PC users these days than Mac users... maybe they pulled a Word 6 kind of development strategy (port it rather than write it). Acrobat 6 certainly is painfully slow enough to make me suspect it's at least partially true.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Cherry OS - 10/18/04 04:10 PM

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe Adobe wants it to open really slow? That they want the Adobe splash screen on the monitor for as long as you can stand it?<br><br>There is no doubt in my mind Adobe could have Acrobat open as instantaneously as any software Apple makes. For years we complained about Illustrator 9 and 10 opens much faster now. Perhaps Mac users don't complain about Acrobat.<br><br>TextEdit, Safari, and Mail open instantly with no splash at all and they're some of my favorites. What do I need a splash screen for anyway? Something to look at while I'm waiting for the program to load?<br><br>Hack the splash screen with Resourcer and add something a little more interesting to look at... <br><br><br>

Re: Cherry OS - 10/19/04 09:39 AM

Preview can view PDFs faster than Acrobat, so I won't buy that.<br><br><br>