Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burners

Posted by: Anonymous

Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burners - 06/05/01 03:16 PM

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/06/05/2155245.shtml<br><br>'Reuters is reporting that EMI has just announced a partnership with Roxio (you know, the "toast" and "Easy CD Creator" folks). They have also bought a minority stake in the company. The potential impact here is scary. Roxio's Duea is quoted: 'Our goal is to enable consumers to legally download and record music to CD in a consumer-friendly manner while fairly compensating copyright owners and creators...' What changes now are forthcoming in their software to force this "fair compensation"? And how far will those changes penetrate throughout the industry? This can't be good for the consumer. Roxio has also come forth with a press release announcing this partnership. In it they announce "EMI will work to develop ways for consumers to easily record authorized music onto recordable CDs" and, even better, 'We want to continue to work with leaders in the music industry, like EMI, to not only provide for the protection of their digital content, but also to enable record companies and artists to get paid for burning.' <br><br>Also, didn't Napster come out with something new today?<br><br>What is the world of free music coming too?<br><br>- Jake Minturn<br>Writer, Web Designer, and MacNerd<br>"She was a black-top bombshell straight outta Bombay. She was easy on the eyes, so I had nothing to say."
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burn - 06/05/01 09:19 PM

hey Jake... great website by the way...<br><br>the world of free music will still be free, it will just get smaller... <br><br>Know what I mean?<br><br>Besides, the "world of free music" probably wasn't totally legal anyways... but that's up to the corporations to take all of us little guys to court over I guess, and something tells me it's not worth it for them....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burn - 06/06/01 06:39 AM

<br>It is true that it is not legal, however, morally I have no problem downloading songs by big bands, or the musicians like Moby; who have supported Napster.<br><br>I think that napster needs to work on its filtering software. Bands like the Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Mathews have always allowed their concerts to be recorded and distributed free of charge. And those live tracks of their songs are the ones I want, however those bands are all blocked on Napster.<br><br>John, what site is nice? SlashDot? Or My Homepage? Or my old site (macnerds.com)?<br><br><br><br>- Jake Minturn<br>Writer, Web Designer, and MacNerd<br>"She was a black-top bombshell straight outta Bombay. She was easy on the eyes, so I had nothing to say."
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burn - 06/07/01 05:06 PM

MacNerds... I liked the idea back when you were doing it. Are you still?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Napster Record Companies and Music And CD Burn - 06/10/01 03:09 PM

No, no, i had to close it. Though I am interested in bringing it back, mainly it is about getting enough money to pay writers. I want to make it simply a site for tutorials and reviews.<br><br>Getting writers is the hardest part, and getting advertisers so you can pay the writers.<br><br><br>- Jake Minturn<br>Writer, Web Designer, and MacNerd<br>"She was a black-top bombshell straight outta Bombay. She was easy on the eyes, so I had nothing to say."