can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port?

Posted by: Anonymous

can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 11:51 AM

hi i just got a second ed g3 from ebay (it was used at a company) and it didnt occur to me to ask if it could connect to the internet. ive only had a powermac 9600 with os 8 for several yrs so this upgrade (with os 9.2 and os 10.2) was a powerhouse to me! im lost.... anyway learning the os is another story... so the telephone port is covered over (checked it and there isnt anything there) and the only port is ethernet. 1) is there anything i can do to get dialup internet connection 2) is there a finder of any sort with os that would detect if there was an internal modem i dont think there is but it is listed on the system but that may be on all computers just in case<br>thank you so very much for any help! happy thanksgiving!<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 12:08 PM

if the modem port on the back is covered over, then I believe that it does not have a modem in it.<br><br>What you can do is get an external modem.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 12:33 PM

to even your conviction of whether there is or isn't a modem go under the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen and pull down and hold... look for System Profiler, choose it and release. It will tell you whether you have a modem or not. It will tell you everything you want to know about this machine, such as hardware, software, how many system folders, you name it.<br><br>Buy an external modem. Global Villiage 56K is very reliable.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Posted by: djstefan

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone p - 11/27/03 02:26 PM

External Modem!<br><br>Or Hub for the ethernet from another computer which is connected to the net.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 03:13 PM

thank you so much for confirming external modem as the way to go.. may i ask then does that mean i can plug this external modem into the ethernet port on the back. i am just confused that this will work as i thought i had to have an available phone port for a modem and the ethernet port would work only with well an ethernet/network...<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 04:11 PM

wait a minute... what color is your g3?<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 05:09 PM

sorry... it's a blue and white second version<br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 05:57 PM

you should have a USB port on that. If so you would connect the modem through that.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone port? - 11/27/03 06:11 PM

thank you very much because the light went on when i realized i already have an external modem but its serial port so i'll just upgrade to a usb modem. thank you everyone!<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone p - 11/28/03 08:12 AM

I think you can still buy the internal modems for those - but probably not directly from Apple.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: can i connect to internet -g3 w no telephone p - 11/28/03 08:25 AM

Yes there are. Here's a parallel thread from MC<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.