mac.com mailbox full but not really

Posted by: Anonymous

mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/10/02 09:26 AM

been using mac.com mail since day one and have never maxed out my 5mb allotment....however i've been getting the standard "your mailbox is full please empty" email from apple about three times a day now....with only 6 messages in my box totaling no more than 50k...any ideas?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/10/02 10:41 AM

If you're using Mail.app, there's an option to delete messages from the server after you've downloaded them (that's in Preferences>Accounts>Account Options). If you don't have that checked, then the items you think you've deleted are deleted only from your HD, not from the server.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/10/02 02:29 PM

You can also try logging onto your Mac.com account through http://webmail.mac.com/ and deleting all the mail from the "Deleted Messages" folder.<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/10/02 06:44 PM

Good idea, Vijay. Otherwise I guess you'd have to re-download 5 MB of messages!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/11/02 11:09 AM

thanks guys...you were right. that deleted messages folder was housing the 5mb of excess. i naively assumed that actually deleting the mail would erase it into oblivion rather than reorganizing it into another folder....one would think that apple would not have built in the feature in such an ignorant fashion...<br><br>

Re: mac.com mailbox full but not really - 06/11/02 09:46 PM

The funny thing is that just today the iTools email touts the wonders of IMAP because you can read your email from different computers without having to worry about having deleted the messages from the server.<br><br>By the way, you can set up Mail.app to read your mac.com account as a POP rather than as an IMAP account. Doing so deletes the mail automatically.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"