HTML on .Mac

Posted by: greenme1

HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:34 PM

How do you put an html file on .mac so you can go to my .Mac home-page and see the html page i crated? Sorry if this question has been asked before and TIA. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:41 PM

Rename it index.html and put it in your sites folder on your .mac disk (i think not done it myself though...)<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:44 PM

BTW, i singed up for a .Mac trial so i could put up web-pages i am experimenting with, and not have ads show up in each frame like this web host does:<br>http://greenme1.012webpages.com/Alex::s page.html<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:44 PM

Thanks, will do. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:46 PM

put the HTML file in the Sites folder of your iDisk. If the name of the file is index.html is will display as your homepage.<br><br>If you create a folder in the Sites folder and put the index.html file there you can see it by typing in<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/yourname/newfolder<br><br><br><br>

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:56 PM

Ok, thanks JC that worked. <br><br><br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 03:58 PM

Now there's another problem, the html files i downloaded from one web host were altered to have the ads show up, and the one's on my HD are linked to pictures on my HD not the web. So how do i edit the html files (in plain text)?<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 04:08 PM

if you don't have a fancy editor like BBEdit or an HTML editor, than<br><br>rename the file from .html to .txt<br><br>and then edit the file with TextEdit as a plain text file.<br><br>do a file save as to .html to view.<br><br>TextEdit for some reason opens the files as HTML (and you can edit the tags)<br><br>

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:02 PM

Ok, i downloaded BBEdit Lite and that worked fine. <br><br>Now after uploading the images to the web and changing the html files i finally have a site up that i created in 30 min. last night using Dreamweaver MX. <br><br>Here it is:<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/greenme1/Alex's Page v2/index.html<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: JohnR

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:08 PM

ok..that looks good! 30 minutes eh? Damn...I have DreamweaverMX and have to learn it first I think. Did you know anything about it before you made that page? Did you have an idea how you wanted your page to look first?<br><br>

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:52 PM

I knew nothing about Dreamwaever and little about html when i made it, but i spent an hour learning how to do a few things making the first version of that page. I kept the look to something familiar and simple just to make it easier to do. <br><br>Here's the first version:<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/greenme1/Alex's Page/index.html<br><br>At this point i didn't know how to make links in the left frame open in a new page so i put up a java script to warn people<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:54 PM

One last thing, spelling and content were the least of my worries so there will be many mistakes! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: JohnR

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:56 PM

Well..now I'm definately going to be diving in DW this week. Hope that I can create something that isn't too bad!<br><br>

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 05:59 PM

looking good.<br><br>dreamweaver has a built-in code editor so you can ditch bbedit lite if you like.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 07:41 PM

Pretty nice, greenme. You ought to give the page a title, though, just so folks can see it in the tab <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 07:42 PM

I like BBEdit because it's simple and small (not to mention free!), and i'll be really happy i still have it when the trial for DW runs out. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 07:43 PM

Yeah yeah! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 07:45 PM

Ok, it's been done. You might have to erase your cache to see it. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/15/03 07:54 PM

Thanks. <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/16/03 12:54 AM

I now have a 3rd version which is more of an entire site not just a page. The design is a little better in some areas and worse in others.<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/greenme1/Alex's Page v3/index.html<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/16/03 01:13 AM

Oh, and yoyo, i have yet to put up titles so you will have to live with "Untitled Document"! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/16/03 01:27 AM

Ok, i now have v3.2 up with proper titles and a better background image. <br><br>....i feel like i'm padding way to much! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/16/03 06:59 AM

You pad? Nah. Never happen <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/16/03 11:33 AM

Yeah, you're right, i never pad! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: HTML on .Mac - 06/17/03 08:19 AM

Don't get me started!!!! <br><br>