Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync

Posted by: Jim_

Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync - 08/27/12 07:50 PM

For those that use iWork on a computer, save to DropBox, and also edit iWork files on an iDevice that you open from DropBox, DB won't sync from the iDevice on its own. You can open the file in iWork from DB on the iDevice and edit (or create a new one) but it doesn't save changes to DB since iOS stores files the way it wants to, in the app data, it won't save back to DB on its own.

You need to get DropDAV from http://dropdav.com/

In iWork it doesn't give a save to DB option but it gives an option to save to a WebDAV server. You can link the dropdav account to DB and save to DB from there though. The server is the middle man to send it to DB. It uploads to the server then down to DB.

They have a 14 day trial, and if you want to keep using it it's $5 a month. DB has a 300M limit on the size of file you can transfer via WebDAV.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync - 08/28/12 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I won't be needing this for my iPhone uses, but might if, and when, I get an iPad.

Re: Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync - 08/28/12 06:38 PM

I just discovered it. I have a customer that travels extensively for his business, and besides email etc he needed to access and edit his iWork databases from his iPad too and sync up with his laptop.

He has taken to carrying the iPad in his briefcase most of the time instead of lugging around his laptop case plus a briefcase. They can come in handy in the right situation.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync - 08/30/12 10:45 AM

Why wouldn't he just use iCloud?

Re: Dropbox, iDevice, iWork sync - 08/30/12 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Why wouldn't he just use iCloud?
He also wants to edit theses docs on his laptop/Cinema Display setup when he's in the office in front of a bigger screen. If iCloud still had an iDisk type format it would be easy. Go to his iDisk in the Finder and launch the doc. As it is now you have to go to icloud.com/iwork, download the document, make your changes, then upload it back to the cloud.

Too inconvenient. DropBox gives Finder functionality to opening the documents without having to jump through hoops to retrieve and then save the doc.

Plus he has other stuff he wants to store that isn't iApp compatible, with DB it's all in one place. iCloud is trying to lock one into all Apple products, but they do know what's best for us I guess. smirk