Stupid question...

Posted by: steveg

Stupid question... - 07/28/12 04:55 PM

So I have iCloud enabled on my Mini and MBP. Will everything in my Documents folder automatically be shared via iCloud as long as Document and Data is checked, or is there some other step I have to take?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Stupid question... - 07/28/12 04:59 PM

When you run Adobe InDesign next time... everything will be synced.
All Adobe goodness...Mmmmm...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Stupid question... - 07/28/12 05:14 PM

Here's a good explanation. It's 3 pages, if you scroll to near the bottom of the first page it starts to cover the doc and data sharing.

From what I understand unless it's data from Apple or an iApp if you exceed your free 5G you would need to purchase more.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/28/12 06:45 PM

Yeesh. This is above my pay grade. If I've got the same ID (or Pshop, or any other) file in a projects folder in Documents on both Macs, and I make changes to the file on Mac A, are you saying those changes will appear on the file on Mac B when I open it?. And if I make further changes to the file on Mac B, they'll appear on Mac A when I open it the next time?

I've got 55 gigs of iCloud space, so size shouldn't be an issue.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/28/12 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Yeesh. This is above my pay grade. If I've got the same ID (or Pshop, or any other) file in a projects folder in Documents on both Macs, and I make changes to the file on Mac A, are you saying those changes will appear on the file on Mac B when I open it?. And if I make further changes to the file on Mac B, they'll appear on Mac A when I open it the next time?
That's the way I read it.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 02:48 AM

Doesn't seem to be the case. Last night I made an arbitrary change to a Word.docx (that was last updated in Feb, 11) in a particular folder in Documents on the Mini. Just opened the same doc on the MBP, and no change. Me scratching head.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 05:42 AM

In your Save window you should have a choice for iCloud in the pop up menu where you choose a folder.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 06:02 AM

No such animal. At least not in Word or ID. Maybe it's gotta be an iApp file, like Pages or Numbers? Maybe I'll save a Word file as Pages and see what happens.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 06:21 AM

Yup. Opened a Word file in Pages, and when saving, iCloud is the default in the location drop down. So obviously, only Apple file formats are compatible with iCloud at least for now.

I need to sync entire job folders a packaged ID project would include fonts and image files (Pshop and AI) as well as the production file, plus reports and instructions and other documents so It's probably more efficient to just transfer files back and forth via file sharing (or bluetooth sharing) as I've always done anyway.

Now, if Apple wants to buy Adobe and MS, and make it all iApps, that would be just da bomb! grin

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 06:37 AM

Right, after reading farther it's Apple apps only. That's too bad, could be a handy thing, except for the fact that I bet it's not backed up with Time Machine so you're relying on Apple to not lose your stuff.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 07:18 AM

You said it yourself, Bub: Apple knows what's best for us. eek grin
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 09:09 AM

Quote:
Now, if Apple wants to buy Adobe and MS, and make it all iApps, that would be just da bomb!

[derail]
[rant]

After the whole "Save As" debacle, I'm not sure that would be such a great thing. The two reasons I dipped my toe into Mountain Lion were that a) You tried it and said it hadn't broken anything ;-) and, b) iApps were supposed to get Save As back -- it's really been a huge problem working with Keynote ...

Alas, no Save As that I can see (at least, it certainly isn't a menu item), and Cmd + Shift + S = "duplicate," unlike pretty much every other app out there (way to "think different" Apple) ...

So anyways, since I could not care less about notifications, integrated social links, documents in the cloud, etc., there doesn't seem to be much compelling me to switch over to the new OS on my other machines. But at least you're right that it hasn't really broken anything so far, so they at least got the "do no harm" part a bit more right than last time ;-)

I actually wonder where Apple wants to end-up with its OS X strategy -- seems more and more they want their Macs to be just iPads on a desk, which is kind of depressing =P

[/rant]
[/derail]
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Yup. Opened a Word file in Pages, and when saving, iCloud is the default in the location drop down. So obviously, only Apple file formats are compatible with iCloud at least for now.

I need to sync entire job folders a packaged ID project would include fonts and image files (Pshop and AI) as well as the production file, plus reports and instructions and other documents so It's probably more efficient to just transfer files back and forth via file sharing (or bluetooth sharing) as I've always done anyway.

Now, if Apple wants to buy Adobe and MS, and make it all iApps, that would be just da bomb! grin

Drop Box

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 10:32 AM

I use DropBox, but what I don't like a/b it is that you have to make sure you copy files or folders (Optn/drag&drop) because once you pull that data off onto another computer, it's gone. I prefer file sharing or bluetooth sharing because you know the original stays put on your drive.

Re: Stupid question... - 07/29/12 11:48 AM

Quote:
You tried it and said it hadn't broken anything ;-)
I went the early adopter route after all because after sitting on Tiger so far past its usefulness and watching other software upgrades thumb their noses at me in a steady parade, I decided to roll the dice and make the move now.

Plus for years, my two Macs were out of sync. The MBP that I just replaced was light years ahead of my Quicksilver G4, and then when I replaced the G4 with then Mini last December, it was extreme leapfrog. So now, I have two Macs that are at total parity. Balance is a good thang... grin

Re: Stupid question... - 07/30/12 10:30 AM

Of course, there's AirDrop now. Will have to see how that compares to file sharing.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Stupid question... - 07/30/12 11:29 AM

Dropbox can be used with Time Machine. I've recovered old deleted files, no problem.
The best Mountain Lion feature for me is getting the same, or better, speed I had with Snow Leopard.
Lion seemed sooo slow.