iCloud and my iMac Mail

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 04:52 AM

I feel soooo left behind..... still running Snow Leopard and have for that reason not moved to iCloud.

I can't seem to find what happens to my .mac or .me email on my iMac's "Mail" when I move to iCloud?

If I move to iCloud and not upgrade to Lion can I no longer get my .me mail on my iMac?

If I upgrade to Lion and then move to iCloud how does the "syncing" work? Do all the "mailboxes" for my .me account I set up on my iMac get synced to iCloud?

TIA
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 06:56 AM

Quote:
If I move to iCloud and not upgrade to Lion

Is that even possible? I thought one needed Lion in order to use iCloud =)

Quote:
If I upgrade to Lion and then move to iCloud how does the "syncing" work? Do all the "mailboxes" for my .me account I set up on my iMac get synced to iCloud?

When you switch over to iCloud, your mail switches over as well -- don't need to do anything in particular with your mailboxes or anything, they just work as they always did. Essentially you're just switching mail servers =)

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:

I think I could set up iCloud from my work pc and access via any web browser...but not sure how that would affect what would happen on my iMac Mail at home....

Quote:

When you switch over to iCloud, your mail switches over as well -- don't need to do anything in particular with your mailboxes or anything, they just work as they always did. Essentially you're just switching mail servers =)

I have a concern that the syncing and pushing and keeping everything the same would "mess" things up. My iMac Mail is all set up with different "mailbox categories" for organizing, the same .me mail I check via any web browser does not have that all set up. Also, if it was "only" switching mail servers why would I need Lion? I'm just don't want to "lose" all the old emails I have tucked away in "mailboxes" on my iMac with the switch.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: iMacsoontobe
Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:

I think I could set up iCloud from my work pc and access via any web browser...but not sure how that would affect what would happen on my iMac Mail at home....

Quote:

I have a concern that the syncing and pushing and keeping everything the same would "mess" things up. My iMac Mail is all set up with different "mailbox categories" for organizing, the same .me mail I check via any web browser does not have that all set up. Also, if it was "only" switching mail servers why would I need Lion? I'm just don't want to "lose" all the old emails I have tucked away in "mailboxes" on my iMac with the switch.

If you are saying that you have locally stored mailboxes/folders, they'll simply stay locally stored on your Mac.

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 02:22 PM

Hi Michael, hope all is well with you.

I was hoping that was true, but all the "push" and "sync" I have been hearing about to keep everything the "same" everywhere with iCloud is where my concern comes from.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 02:47 PM

My desktop Mail.app:

My iCloud Mail:

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/17/12 02:54 PM

Thanks!!! Michael you have vanquished my fears!!!
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/18/12 08:21 AM

I see you basically have the answer you were looking for =)

But I thought I would reply to this (because it's a good question) ...
Quote:
Also, if it was "only" switching mail servers why would I need Lion?

... with the answer that iCloud is more than just Mail synching and I think they rolled-out the package of iCloud capabilities with Lion in order to avoid the comparative logistical nightmare of offering individual "updates" a la carte for varying versions of OSX =)

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 02/18/12 08:37 PM

Thanks!! Make sense.

I just need to take the plunge into Lion, I mean heck now there's a Mountain Lion at the door!!

smile
Posted by: garyW

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 06/02/12 01:21 PM

MobileMe is ending later this month, so I decided yesterday I was not going to upgrade to Lion since 10.6 is working flawlessly.

I migrated MobileMe to iCloud and found that my 10.6 mail did not work, but then found this simple work-around. Now I use my .mac & .me email accounts with no problems in iCloud through Snow Leopard. No Lion for me.

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html
Posted by: steveg

Re: iCloud and my iMac Mail - 06/03/12 03:40 AM

The Mail transition has been a no-brainer. But the one problem with iCloud that persists is it's behavior with Exchange servers. Before moving to Lion and iCloud, I could send and respond to calendar invitations via iCal. Now, though I can still send them, I can't respond to those I receive. When I click to respond, I get an error message saying no can do and asking me if I want to go offline. If I click yes, the calendar notification sticks, If I click no, it vanishes. I've posted a/b this on the Apple discussion boards, as has a lot of other users. It's been collective head-scratching and a lot of silly folk-medicine type "remedies". But not true joy.

As for the end of iDisk, I'll just start using my Network Solutions hosting package for that.