iCloud.com is live

Posted by: MacBozo

iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 07:49 AM

Has anyone converted to it from MobileMe? When you sign in for the first time. it wants you to convert your MobileMe account. I was just wondering if, by doing that, it deletes the MobileMe account, or do they both coexist for now.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 11:02 AM

Yesterday I looked into a lot of information about installing Lion. After I removed all stuff that would not be compatible, I chickend out. Wasn't sure whether to install over my present OS, put it on another drive, or what I'd do if I got stuck.

Today I looked into getting flown up to iCloud:[ My iPhone is just now downloading/installing OS 5 ]

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 12:42 PM

Thanks, Kate. Right now, my internet connection is really bad (snail's pace), so I can't upgrade to 10.7.2 until that gets corrected.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 06:25 PM

I'm backing up stuff from my idisk now -- even though Apple support pages say they'll still be available until June 30 of next year ...

In other news, the new iPhone update has 6 hours remaining, the two new software updates for my desktop are at 8 hours -- on a really quite speedy cable connection. Apple's servers must be getting hit pretty hard ;-)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 10:42 PM

This is why I busied myself until 9pm to download all the updates. Took about 20 minutes for 10.7.2 Combo Update, iOS5, Safari, iPhoto, and Lion Recovery update.

The real killer is the iOS 5 install. The backup & restore process will take better than 30 minutes to complete (unless you have nothing but the native apps installed, I suspect).

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/12/11 10:53 PM

My iPhone install worked just great. Not so with the iPad. Error number 3004. Called AppleCare. Got lots of help, but iPad still in Brick status as of 10:50 p.m. PDT. I am supposed to try again tomorrow and if it doesn't work, I have a case number with AppleCare.

Glad I kept my Kindle. At least I can still read my books. wink MacWorld and MacRumors forums have lots TONS of feedback from people who couldn't finish the install on either the iPhone or iMac.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/13/11 11:52 AM

Whoot,

I got my iPad back It took around 30 min to complete restore fom last night's "brick" status, etc.

I LOVE the web page Safari "Reader" feature Great fo us OFI's.

Ooo ooo ooo ooo Tabs function in Safari -- to die for! Fantastico.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/13/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
I'm backing up stuff from my idisk now -- even though Apple support pages say they'll still be available until June 30 of next year ...

In other news, the new iPhone update has 6 hours remaining, the two new software updates for my desktop are at 8 hours -- on a really quite speedy cable connection. Apple's servers must be getting hit pretty hard ;-)

My internet speed was restored today, so the updates via Software Update took a little over an hour on my MacMini.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/14/11 09:59 AM

I updated a few minutes ago. Now there are duplicates for every iCal entry. Every one. Great...
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/14/11 10:20 AM

For anyone else that runs into the issue i just mentioned, here is a solution:
Right here
Posted by: Mike

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/15/11 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Has anyone converted to it from MobileMe? When you sign in for the first time. it wants you to convert your MobileMe account. I was just wondering if, by doing that, it deletes the MobileMe account, or do they both coexist for now.

I Just 'moved' my Mobile.me account to iCloud on my MacBook(which has been upgraded to OSX 10.7.2. When I tried to connect with another computer (OSX 10.6.8) to my old Mobile.me account, I received the message that my (old) Mobile.me account had been upgraded to iCloud.
I can still connect. Apparently they both exist.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/15/11 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Originally Posted By: MacBozo

I Just 'moved' my Mobile.me account to iCloud on my MacBook(which has been upgraded to OSX 10.7.2. When I tried to connect with another computer (OSX 10.6.8) to my old Mobile.me account, I received the message that my (old) Mobile.me account had been upgraded to iCloud.
I can still connect. Apparently they both exist.

Once you convert, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar move to iCloud and are no longer available via MobileMe. iDisk, Gallery, and iWeb remain at MobileMe.

Syncing with iCloud is instantaneous: I changed the email address of one of my contacts in my desktop Address Book and it was reflected immediately at iCloud.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/15/11 07:34 PM

Quote:
Once you convert, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar move to iCloud and are no longer available via MobileMe.

Mail is still accessible via the Mail app in OS X. Calendar via iCal appears to be inoperable on my laptop that has yet to be converted. Can't say regarding contacts. So using the OS, mail still works on Macs that haven't been converted =)

Haven't tried stuff via the actual MobileMe web interface ...

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/15/11 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:
Once you convert, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar move to iCloud and are no longer available via MobileMe.

Mail is still accessible via the Mail app in OS X. Calendar via iCal appears to be inoperable on my laptop that has yet to be converted. Can't say regarding contacts. So using the OS, mail still works on Macs that haven't been converted =)

Haven't tried stuff via the actual MobileMe web interface ...

Mail is not accessible via the MobileMe web site after converting to iCloud. Of course, the desktop Mail.app is going to work whatever you do (until MobileMe is shuttered next June). After that, .mac/.me mail accounts will not work if you're not using iCloud. If you have other mail accounts that are not .mac/.me, they will continue to work as usual.

iCal will not work on your unconverted laptop if you are using the same Apple ID.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/21/11 02:46 AM

Seems to have converted fairly seamlessly - I got an alert in iCal that it was "upgrading" my calendars, which never went away - but after checking all the calendars were correct on my phone and in the cloud, I quit and relaunched iCal and they're fine.

If I understand it correctly, using it only for the mail/calendar/contacts and the odd photo that I was using mobileme for, the icloud service will be free where I had to pay for mobileme (unless I want more storage above 5Gb). Is that right?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/21/11 05:39 AM

The main difference is that MobileMe allowed you to store and share ANY file you had. With iCloud (right now anyway) you can only store iWork app documents, it's automatic, and you can only share them with other Apple devices you own. Now there is the iWork.com beta that you can share those iWork documents though, but I suspect that it will be rolled into iCloud at some point.

At some point, other apps will be able to take advantage of iCloud storage, in fact the reminder app Remember The Milk already does as of this week.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/22/11 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
If I understand it correctly, using it only for the mail/calendar/contacts and the odd photo that I was using mobileme for, the icloud service will be free where I had to pay for mobileme (unless I want more storage above 5Gb). Is that right?

Right now, I have 25Gb available since I have/had a paid MobileMe account. That extra 20Gb might go away next June when MobileMe is shuttered, though.

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/24/11 12:39 PM

Ah, the joy of new systems taking over from old :rolls eyes:

Note that only one of those is showing any signs of doing anything in the last half hour.

(quit and relaunch cleared it)
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/24/11 02:09 PM

Is that with a jail broken iPhone?

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/25/11 09:52 AM

There's that and the trouble iCloud is currently having pushing email to some iphones (including mine), which is very much a non-trivial issue ...

Lots of kinks to work out =P

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/26/11 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Is that with a jail broken iPhone?

No, that's on an iMac smile - my phone's screen ain't that wide.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/26/11 07:30 AM

WTF?? You jailbroke your iMac???
Wait till you know who hears about this!!!!
Posted by: DLC

Re: iCloud.com is live - 10/26/11 11:34 AM

I'm glad I don't live near padmavyuha ...

the "ghost of Stevie past" is coming to visit his house !! laugh

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: iCloud.com is live - 12/02/11 03:04 AM

Please tell me what is i Cloud and what does it do? Thanks
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iCloud.com is live - 12/02/11 03:53 AM

The internet.. it is your friend.
http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html