mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use

Posted by: KateSorensen

mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/11/10 08:29 PM

The settings I had chosen for my Public folder might allow anyone to upload/download/delete files from that folder ! ! ! I have changed it now to password-protected. I do not have my photos stored there.

mobileme Apple instructions/use

You guys might want to review the Public Folder use in the above link. Several people here have some protection on their public sites, some have none, some are Passworded.

If someone posts a picture from their un-pasworded Public folder and you choose to view picture in another window, in that url you can remove "picturename.jpg" from the url, and then reload the window and you will see all the files in that persons Public folder. Then it is possible to have your way while in there -- DEPENDING on the level of security chosen by the owner of that site.

My photo above is of mobile me in my System Prefs panel.

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 04:35 AM

I may be dead wrong (hope I'm not!) but unless you check the "Allow visitors to make changes" box, you won't have the problem you're describing, Ethel. Reboot will know better, naturally.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:35 AM

Yes, someone can see all of your files, but as long as you don't have Allow visitors to make changes checked they can't do anything but download the files. It is called a Public folder so you prorbably wouldn't want to put any nekkid stuff in there or anything. blush

We can still post pictures from there with the url http://idisk.me.com/username/Public/filename unless you Password protect the folder.

I don't know what's going on now, ImageWell is working again too. It seems that maybe Apple is now redirecting idisk.mac.com to idisk.me.com.

Hope I wasn't speaking Russian again. grin

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:42 AM

http://idisk.me.com/username/Pictures/filename works too, and ImageWell also works going to the Pictures folder.

Edit - Oops, it asks for a log in if you use Pictures.

It's frustrating the inconsistency of it for something they charge for.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:46 AM

That's why I decided not to use the Public folder for images.
I use it for clients and stuff, and the last thing I wanted them to see are all the embarrassing avatars I've created for AppleCentral wink

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:52 AM

So I didn't have to move anything? So just change the URL?
So simple only a child can do it?

My MobileMe renewal is up in a month. I'm really going to have to decide if it's worth it.

BTW, Amazon has it on sale for $58.55.
Buy a dozen and give them out as gifts to friends or family you'd like to torture.
cry

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
So I didn't have to move anything? So just change the URL?
So simple only a child can do it?
I edited my post, it seem Pictures now requires a log in to display any files, not just the Public password but your full MM log in.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Buy a dozen and give them out as gifts to friends or family you'd like to torture.
cry
LOL. laugh

Just noticed that Cy winks. At least I hope it's supposed to because it is on this end.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 07:08 AM

wink

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Yes, someone can see all of your files, but as long as you don't have Allow visitors to make changes checked they can't do anything but download the files.

Hope I wasn't speaking Russian again. grin

Thanks for emphasizing "Allow visitors to make changes checked" because I know I had that for my son-in-law and his brother cause they were working on a certain file together.

As someone else pointed out, folks with businesses using Public to view graphic or text files might not want them read by just any doofer who drops by, forum graphics might go someplace else.

Maybe you should explain things to me in Pig Latin. I'm fluent. grin

ImageWell, Comcast and me are doing such a fun job I'm not going back to uploading pictures from iDisk or macme, etc. Besides, I think I screwed up that capability mucking around with all the settings in IW yesterday. [sigh][ I make things so difficult for myself. ]

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 03:38 PM

Where do you do the uploading on Comcast, Kate? I don't see it!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 03:41 PM

I copied all of my pictures into Web/Sites/Pictures. Actually, iDisk moved them all there rather than copying them, so now I don't have duplicates, and my original Pictures folder is empty. Now, I just have to replace the homepage.mac.com/etc with the web.me.com/etc path in my little, easily confused brain. laugh

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Where do you do the uploading on Comcast, Kate? I don't see it!

Al, Al, Al, did you just open up a Pandora's box for me!

Comcast is very secretive about telling people they have storage space and how to get a "place holder html" page I guess. Anyway I got one back when we were still in MacCentral. How do I know that? Well, on the place holder I typed a few word just for giggles and grins. Here it is. Did you ever see anything so exciting? Don't look at that nude lady in the corner . . . .

Anyway, I had my mac.com web page for pictures and couldn't think of anything to do with comcast so it jast sat there. Anyway, call Comcast and see how you get a path to there and you can hide all kinds of stuff there from the world. smile

And because you asked me about the Comcast page I found some things by pushing wrong selection buttons. I added it to my finder next to iDisk and mounted it on my desk top. Ain't it magical.

I don't know how large the space is.

<--click big

Maybe there is already an index page for you at comcast try my url but put your comcast identity in there instead.

http://home.comcast.net/~e t h e l/index2.html maybe just index.html

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I copied all of my pictures into Web/Sites/Pictures. Actually, iDisk moved them all there rather than copying them, laugh

I started doing that but got tired. I'll finish later. I tried just dragging the folder but it would not let me.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 08:36 PM

I am impressed, Ethel! Every time I go to the Comcast home page, I get depressed cause there's so much and so little navigation.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/12/10 08:42 PM

Quote:
I copied all of my pictures into Web/Sites/Pictures. Actually, iDisk moved them all there rather than copying them, so now I don't have duplicates, and my original Pictures folder is empty.

Wait… Wha…?
I swear I didn't do it.

There was this Genius guy on the Apple Discussions forums.

Yeah, that's it.

He told me that if I did what he said, it would COPY, not move, the files.
If I had any problems, he said to reply back and ask for Steve.
I haven't heard back yet, but I'm sure he'll back me up.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/13/10 06:29 AM

I opened the original Pictures folder, selected all, dragged them en mass to the new Pictures folder I created in Sites, and it moved all of them.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/13/10 02:14 PM

Acumow and MacBozo:

I have created untitled folder but it is not in a "Sites" subfolder, which I appear to have two "Sites" folders. One in the older dotmac area and one in the "Web" area at bottom of picture where my iDisk Gallery photos and iWeb webpages created reside.

I cannot move or change the name of untitled folder I created and moved all my pictures into.

I think I need to create a new folder sub to . . . web/sites/new folder.

Is that where you guyz created yourn? smile

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/14/10 05:33 AM

iDisk > Web > Sites. Create your new folder there.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/14/10 08:31 AM

I'm not at my computer, but looks like the Untitled Folder is in the right spot.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/15/10 06:30 AM

No. The "Untitled" folder needs to be in the Web/Sites folder, not just in the Web folder.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/15/10 02:35 PM

Yeppers! I put it where MacBozo said. Moved all the photos from untitled into properly named Photos folder: iDisk > Web > Sites > Photos. Think I have it sorted out now. Think is I am still going to not use it. I'll stick with Comcast storage as it all works okay.

Thank yew all.

Re: mobileme -- Public Folder Security/Use - 11/15/10 05:48 PM

I apologize if I gave misinformation.
I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. blush