Good Microsoft/Cloud Article

Posted by: Ben Dover

Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 04:10 PM

Bottom-line: a really simple, user-administered, cloud OS is the next killer

Dave's always good for mining diamonds among the coal - Brilliant, thus a prolific dude.

I like this comment, but it will never fly ( even if Apple, the only one capable of simplifying/dumbing this down, works it - well, maybe after a period of toying around, people might go for a point and shoot braindead simple ). If Apple could do it invisibly, in the background, Jetsons simple, it would fly. Altough, inevitably, in Jetsonsville, this is where we'll be, or something like that smile . Of course, they don't mention the router in all this, which must keep pace also, but of course it will - It has to.

Quote:
The only "cloud service" I'm interested in is one where I own the hardware. Privacy, freedom from corporate censorship, and avoiding yet another monthly bill are more important to me than global access to my data.

If Microsoft (or Apple) were smart, they would reinvent the "home server," complete with auto-syncing of photos and movies between friends/family (full res), encrypted distributed backups among your friends' machines (with one-click barn-raising if your hard drive fails), and zero-configuration design that works behind NAT (for after ISPs stop assigning routable IPv4s). A P2P killer app that would replace Facebook, email, and Time Machine. Host it on EC2 if you want, but giving people the freedom to host it themselves is key.

Ed
Posted by: carp

Re: Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 04:24 PM

The real keyword here is;

avoiding yet another monthly bill are more important to me than global access to my data.

Really all this cloud base is - just another way to find more cash cows with wings.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 04:42 PM

The cloud is already happening and Microsoft isn't in the clouds. Balmer thinks the cloud will be the next big os. Sorry, it ain't happening that way. The cloud is already being used by people who need it. Scientists. Some of it will filter down to the proletariat but only if it fills some kind of need. I don't see the need.

Yes, it would be cool to access all your everything from your phone, computer, whatever all the same way. This will likely happen without too much cloud computing.

Moore's law keeps on keeping on. TBs of storage is just too cheap and getting cheaper to allow cloud computing to get off the ground for anything more than specialized projects like needing several hundred CPUs.
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 04:56 PM

Well, most essential/useful cloud services are free. And when you consider that most people don't ever backup, they're more reliable, too, since most have daily incremental backups and weekly full overwrites. However, everyone should have a local backup or archived media disks, whatever, too.

The only paid cloud apps I have are photos/video and music. Paid photos/video for (1) unlimited/uncapped monthly upload, and (2) original source file ( although Zooomr [ Zoho ] has unlimited/uncapped uploads and original source files - they're great, and I like em - forget why I went with a paid Flickr - oh yeah, at the time they didn't do the nice slideshow embeds, like Flickr, something like that, small change ). Oh, Flickr does videos/movies, too - Forget if Zooomr does. Paid Flickr worth it.

Paid music because in addition to uncapped libraries, playlists like in iTunes - Basically an iTunes clone - Worth the money for anywhere any device any platform with a browser access. Paid music worth it.

The only real issue is volitality, and people have their head up their arses over that. What's the story on that? - The same people that go nuts over having their data available permanently are the same people going nuts over losing their data.

Backup everything locally and don't be dumb about what you put in the cloud, but it's less a quick fuse with the cloud.

Ed
Posted by: DLC

Re: Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 05:48 PM

Quote:
avoiding yet another monthly bill are more important to me than global access to my data.

I have to agree, last thing I want is to RENT an OS... and M$oft would milk you dry. What do you do when it craps out ? What would the M$ cloud cost per month - remember you're getting charged for an OS + the connection fee charges? $50-$75 -$100 ? Many people are lucky to afford a computer right now. The M$ cloud could get real expensive. It'd have to be very cheap and trouble free, I just don't think M$ can pull that one off.
Posted by: carp

Re: Good Microsoft/Cloud Article - 10/23/10 06:15 PM

Yep

For me to get into it - it has to be Free.