Yahoo Mail Problem

Posted by: KateSorensen

Yahoo Mail Problem - 06/22/10 10:22 PM

Today this happened twice. Something, someone, somehow, used my Yahoo email and sent out a bunch of stuff to my yahoo contact list. A lot of the addies are old and out of date/dead!

I sent Yahoo an email with an offending email with long headers. But I'm wondering if it is something on my Mac that I might be able to locate and remove myself.

<-- click bigger

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 06/22/10 10:30 PM

I wonder if Yahoo is being hacked. I am going on a call tomorrow, one of the things is someone lost all of their Yahoo mail, and their contact list is empty. They didn't delete anything.
Posted by: carp

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 06/22/10 10:39 PM

Sounds like a hack to me but what do I know?

If it was a hack, I bet it might be on Google News.

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 06/23/10 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Sounds like a hack to me but what do I know?
Easy money day. It was a PEBCAK error.

She has been signing into yahoo mail as the wrong user. crazy I asked her over the phone before I went over but she said she wasn't, she had a chance. I do have standards. I did some updates at least to fill in the hour minimum, and made an appointment for next week to add an Airport Express to extend her network to the third floor.

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 06/23/10 11:51 AM

Today, I have not seen similar activity! Thank goodness. A few of the people on my contact list must think I've lost my marbles or slipped off the tracks.

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem -- Appears to be cured! - 07/11/10 10:04 PM

I was really getting embarrassed because my friends were getting spam from me. But I wrote Yahoo about it.

I read around the internet of others having similar and some different probs with Yahoo mail.

Seems it has been cleared up, and boy am I a happy camper.

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem -- Appears to be cured! - 07/12/10 07:30 PM

I just had the same exact problem with Google's GMail. Changed my password and it stopped.

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem -- Appears to be cured! - 07/14/10 09:59 PM

Someone suggested I change and I was giving it serious thought when I realized it finally had stopped. Terrible experience. ME! Sending SPAM -- or so it appeared.

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 07/27/10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Today this happened twice. Something, someone, somehow, used my Yahoo email and sent out a bunch of stuff to my yahoo contact list. A lot of the addies are old and out of date/dead!

I sent Yahoo an email with an offending email with long headers. But I'm wondering if it is something on my Mac that I might be able to locate and remove myself.
Older thread, I know. Just an FYI that it still happens.

I had a customer call today with the same problem. Unfortunately for her there were a number of addresses from people she knows at church, her pastor for one. blush

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 07/27/10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Today, I have not seen similar activity! Thank goodness. A few of the people on my contact list must think I've lost my marbles or slipped off the tracks.
Okay, that one is too easy. wink
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Yahoo Mail Problem - 07/28/10 02:03 PM

It wasn't a Yahoo account for me, but several years ago, my regular email account got spoofed and SPAM was being sent with my email address as the sender. I immediately changed my address (same internet provider) and used a couple of non-standard characters in the name. No more SPAM generated since.