Internet weirdness

Posted by: MacBozo

Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 04:31 PM

I came home from work and my wife told me that there had been no internet access for most of the afternoon. I checked and it was "on." For some reason, I did have to reboot my mini - some functions just weren't working, primarily, TM and Dashboard widgets. I then felt that all was OK, except internet connectivity was sporadic - it would come and go - so I rebooted the router. That seems to have solved the intermittent connectivity issue. Could the ISP have reset its DNS servers in the process (I still have some delays when connecting to other services - Net News Wire failed to connect on launch), but eventually did connect and update. I wish they wouldn't do stuff like this without any notification.

Edit: I guess I should reboot the modem, too, but everyone is on right now.

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:04 PM

Still having issues. It seems to go "dead" for 2 - 3 minutes even though everything appears normal - status and activity lights on the modem and router.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:22 PM

Cable or DSL?

Have you called the ISP to see if there is a problem in the area?

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:34 PM

Cable

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:38 PM

Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser. Does it bring up a status screen? If it does what is the Receive and Transmit power level?

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:45 PM

Receive = 0.0 dBmV
Transmit = 53.0 dBmV
Modem status = Operational

Should I bookmark that IP?

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 05:48 PM

Receive changed to 0.2.

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 06:02 PM

Receive should be between -10 an +10 so the signal level is good. Transmit is fine too, 30-50 or something, it's not as critical.

1. Restart the modem, it only takes a minute.

2. Check it at the exact time you're having the problem to see if it's a momentary signal level problem.

3. Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the router DNS entries to override RoadRunner's to see if it is DNS. That's Google's DNS servers.

4. If the all of that pans out it could be one of the cable company's routers are acting flaky.

5. Or a router out on the WWW that they direct to but outside of their control that needs a reboot.

6. Or it's a mysterious hiccup that will just go away. grin

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Receive changed to 0.2.
Don't sweat that, it will fluctuate a bit but .2 is nothing.

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 06:13 PM

It has been OK for the last hour or so. I'll still reboot the modem, though.

Re: Internet weirdness - 03/06/10 07:15 PM

Rebooted the modem. Seems to be OK now.

Follow up - 03/07/10 10:11 AM

No further problems since rebooting the modem.