Hulu to start charging.

Posted by: Jim_

Hulu to start charging. - 10/24/09 01:27 PM

The net of the future?
Posted by: carp

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 10/24/09 01:51 PM

Well I hardly watch Hulu anyway , so not a big deal to me .

Someone else went subscription fee after a time of being free ? ? Humm who was that , have not be there since
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 10/24/09 03:16 PM

That sucks.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 10/25/09 10:04 AM

If they added premium content and allowed me to stream to my Roku …I'd be all for it. (unless they charge too much)

I won't be paying to watch the content on my iMac.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 11/08/09 07:29 PM

I still fail to see why Hulu is so popular. It's not like they have fresh content. Everything on their is old. The only thing I see Hulu good for is stuff that simply isn't aired on TV anymore, like really old TV shows. But that's what Netflix is for (for me anyway).

I would be willing to pay a small fee if they offered content right after it aired on TV, but quite frankly, with DVR being so cheap, I just record everything and watch it whenever I want.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 11/10/09 03:07 PM

They have fresh content …but it expires after a week or two. Just look at Heroes for instance. You can usually watch the last few episodes.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 11/17/09 03:01 PM

Services like Hulu are great when you want to watch network stuff on your own schedule. Most of the better cable programs are on OnDemand, so a combo of the two works out pretty well, at least for me.

I also like that I can watch old favorites that might non air anymore. Joost used to be great for stuff like Ren & Stimpy, and Ed & Red's Night Show, which I had never heard of beforehand. Joost seems to be failing, though. My login stopped working, the password request doesn't work, and no one seems to answer from the contact addy.

As for paying for it, I have a feeling there will still be plenty of free content available. For one thing, aside from the fact that people are so used to getting it for free, I doubt very highly than much of anyone would pay for anything produced for the regular free networks. They get advertising revenue by the same companies to advertise on the networks, too, which I would think garners more revenue than the typical website advertising model. If they're counting on this subscription model to bring them buckets 'o cash, however, they're likely to be very disappointed.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Hulu to start charging. - 11/26/09 05:49 AM

Hulu has kept up on showing recent aired content from FOX, FX, TBS and a few other stations. How I see it is Hulu is just trying to compete with Cable and Satellite providers. Yes there are ads but they need to get some money out of it. For a while there I had no Cable TV and used Hulu for about six months for my television viewing needs.

However if they charge more then ten bucks a month I'll find somewhere else for my online streaming.

If you put into factors you would have two bills, one for online access and another to be able to view streaming video.

What I think will happen more then half of Hulu users will leave. Meanwhile the rest will stay and ether old users will slowly come back or new users will find their way. Wouldn't surprise me if Hulu getting deals with gaming consoles like NetFlix has and such.