Unusual web problem

Posted by: MacBozo

Unusual web problem - 04/30/09 09:33 AM

My employer has an employee accessible web site with pertinent information that can be accessed from any location (home in my case - I can view my pay, vacation hours, etc.). I recently began having problems logging in and viewing the site. The only thing new on my machine is Firefox 3.0.10. The same problems exist with Safari. If I set Safari to id itself as IE 7, I'm in with full access. It's odd in that the company's default browser is FF on a thin client - I don't think it is Windows based. I seem to recall a web site that would display the host OS given the URL of the site.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Unusual web problem - 04/30/09 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
If I set Safari to id itself as IE 7, I'm in with full access.
They need to code into their web page that it's okay to use FF or Safari is all.

Can't remember how to check host OS, I'll think about it.

Re: Unusual web problem - 04/30/09 11:18 AM

It's strange since the corporate default browser is FF.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Unusual web problem - 04/30/09 04:37 PM

They may have updated something and dropped in the dreaded "WINDOWS ONLY" code. Spoofing your browser might be the only option. You can do it in Safari under the Developer menu, and I believe Firefox has an extension to allow you to do this as well.

Re: Unusual web problem - 04/30/09 09:36 PM

I had no problems using FF until I upgraded to 3.0.10. Knowing corporate IT's slowness to upgrade software, I'm assuming that I am way ahead of them. I have no idea what version of FF they are using nor the OS that it is running on.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Unusual web problem - 05/06/09 01:11 PM

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. It doesn't matter what browser they are using. The server OS and the software running on that server (the code used to generate the Web site) is what matters. If the site uses a web app that checks for browser compatibility, you might be S.O.L. unless you spoof the browser user agent. Even then, it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Re: Unusual web problem - 05/06/09 02:49 PM

Well, something changed either on their end or it was the upgrade to FF 3.0.10 on my end. Prior to the FF upgrade on my end, there was never a problem. I can log in today, but I still don't get any more than the front page.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Unusual web problem - 05/06/09 03:24 PM

Does it work on the wife's machine or do the same? Probably so, just thought I'd mention it.

Do they have a contact the webmaster link or something? Maybe you can eddy-cate them.

You'll just have to spoof it with Safari if they don't fix it. Too bad FF can't do that. wink

Re: Unusual web problem - 05/07/09 06:39 AM

Just for "fun," I downgraded to FF 3.0.8 from Time Machine and the problem persists - they have changed something on their end.

Re: Unusual web problem - 06/01/09 01:37 PM

Well, Safari spoofing IE7 is still the only way to get full access. Log in is successful on first attempt with both Safari/IE7 and FF, but still no full access to the site/portal with FF. Seems "they" are working on it though.

Re: Unusual web problem-update - 06/11/09 06:18 AM

Safari 4.0 gets full access without spoofing IE.

Another update - 07/02/09 11:24 AM

The site now works with FF 3.5.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Another update - 07/02/09 02:11 PM

zippity doo dah! smile