Google Voice

Posted by: FSM

Google Voice - 03/12/09 12:05 PM

in beta and will be opening up in a few weeks. here are the features of the free service: https://www.google.com/voice/about#

looks to be pretty cool. and it has visual voice mail . . . they automatically transcribe any message you get, which is available on the site or it can be emailed or SMSed to you.

call screening is pretty cool as well. i sort of have this on my phone now for blocked calls, but Google will allow it on all calls where you don't know the caller. it works like this -- the first time someone calls they are asked to record their name, which is given to you while they wait on hold. if you don't want to talk then they get a message saying you weren't available. you can then set a script to run every time they call so you never hear from them again if they were spam, etc.

i think i'll get the cheapest home phone service i can find and then have us switch to Google Voice for the calls we make. i just need them to let me sign up.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 12:23 PM

That looks pretty sweet. I just signed up my email address.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 01:30 PM

I get emails containing messages (audio) via Vonage. Actually, it goes to my wife's email account since she is the one who deals with the phone bill. I think that you can have them sent to your cell phone as well. Not that important to me, though.

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 01:42 PM

audio only? the Google version transcribes the audio for you, fwiw.

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 01:48 PM

You can elect to have the text as well. My wife likes the audio option.
Posted by: Mac007

That's good news! - 03/12/09 01:53 PM

I reserved a number long ago so it's good to hear the launch is near. I'll be checking my email anxiously now. wink
Posted by: steveg

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 02:13 PM

Every time I see that TV ad with the VM popping up on the cell phone as a text message, I think, oh goody, she's driving and reading TMs! shocked crazy

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 02:20 PM

My wife obsesses over battery strength. She's good at calling and asking that I call her back and then turning off her cell phone. I don't think she even knows how to retrieve a TM. laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 02:32 PM

Ha! My wife thinks cell phone charging is an annual thing. laugh laugh

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
You can elect to have the text as well. My wife likes the audio option.
this article notes that it's 25 cents per message, though . . . and that they software they use isn't very good.

http://i.gizmodo.com/282847/vonage-visual-voice-mail-hands-on-verdict-mixed-success

Google is free and apparently they have better software which they've been using when people call the free GOOG411 information service that's been around a few years.

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 03:26 PM

Seems very reliable to us - no problems. I don't know about the charge. I don't deal with that bill.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Google Voice - 03/12/09 08:35 PM

Gaaahhh. I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's just too much technology for me. I tried this years ago before Google bought them. Just wasn't for me.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Google Voice - 03/13/09 09:41 AM

You're gettin' old, JD.
Gotta learn to keep up!
crazy