ical won't show events entered from iphone

Posted by: twood20

ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/23/08 10:40 AM

Ok, so far this has "stumped" the Apple Support Discussions community. Maybe there are some people here that can help.

I know there are all sorts of issues that people experience with ical, the iphone, and mobileme. I've tried pretty much every suggestion and/or thought that I have come across from these forums. That being said, here is my situation.
1. events entered in iCal go to the "cloud" and show up on my iphone
2. events entered in mobileme show up on my iphone and in iCal
3. events entered on my iphone go the "cloud" but do not show up in iCal

If anyone knows what the problem is, has a solution, and/or has any helpful thoughts on what to do I would appreciate it.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/24/08 05:38 AM

Man, the iPhone and MobileMe have turned out to be garbage. I've heard nothing but headaches. I have no solution for you regarding this problem, other than to say try using Google Calendar (which you can sync with iCal with no problem. It might be a more reliable option, and it won't cost you anything.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/24/08 10:35 AM

I'm almost tending to agree with MacGizmo. As I write this I am again currently working on an iCal sync problem for a client. This time the cloud will accept and sync info from an iPhone, and one machine in the customer's office, but not the other machine. It's always a different sync problem it seems, and with a different device so it's not just one flaky machine.

After his people go through the calendar and make sure everything they entered on the non-working machine is also entered into the cloud, I'm going to shotgun it and clear the iCal stuff on the non-working machine by resetting sync, moving the iSync folder and the SyncServices folder in the Users/owner/Library Application Support folder out of the folder, also the iCal and iSync plist files in the user's Preferences folder. Probably a log out will do but I'm going to reboot the machine, then let MobileMe sync the machine like it's the first time, only letting it sync one way, from the cloud down, don't want to wipe out the cloud by mistake.

Be aware, all they are syncing with is Calendar, so if you're syncing anything else, I'm not sure what will happen when you clear sync history and throw prefs away and re-sync. I have everything backed up so I can back out of it.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/24/08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Man, the iPhone and MobileMe have turned out to be garbage. I've heard nothing but headaches. I have no solution for you regarding this problem, other than to say try using Google Calendar (which you can sync with iCal with no problem. It might be a more reliable option, and it won't cost you anything.
Thanks, I'm going to check into it so if this happens one more time I'll have them dump MobileMe and we'll do it the Google calendar way. The only thing he uses is the iCal sync.

With the fiasco when Apple switched from .Mac to MobileMe, and things like the iCal problem above we're having, it's not the first time we've had this trouble, with different devices, the owner is getting tired of it, me too. I expect better from Apple. They have the cash to put the resources into fixing this. It's ironic they make a funny ad about MS spending too much money on Vista advertising and not enough on making the product work.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/25/08 07:34 AM

Yeah, it's kind of odd for Apple to make something as simple as Sync so complicated. Firefox developers can make usernames, passwords, bookmarks and add-ons/extensions sync in the background with no problem at all... a company the size of Apple should be able to do it with a simple data file.
Posted by: twood20

Re: ical won't show events entered from iphone - 11/30/08 10:00 PM

Well, thanks for the input guys. I let loose a heavy sigh of frustration.