What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name?

Posted by: Inverted_Flag

What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 11:41 AM

say some one had a yahoo server acct.<br>they changed over to .mac server<br><br>now 'yahoo', I guess, has some magical control to where entering soandso.com leads to another site<br>but<br>www . soandso.com works.<br><br>hrmmm... odd<br><br>and what's their beef with an email box that may or may not be salvaged...<br>the address, contacts.. all gone : P<br><br>so lame.<br><br>[color:green]And one more thing, screw the afterlife! This is EARTH baby!</font color=green>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 11:55 AM

I'm having trouble deciphering.<br><br>What do you mean by "yahoo server acct." yahoo was their ISP? Or is this all email, yahoo.com related? I don't see how changing email can affect web browsing.<br><br>A few more details maybe?<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: starmillway

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 11:59 AM

<blockquote>and what's their beef with an email box that may or may not be salvaged...<br>the address, contacts.. all gone : P</blockquote><br><br>My beef is that I have years and years of email over there that I would like to download and put on my Mac. Not one email at a time, but the whole shebang! I've searched and looked and Googled and there is no way to do that even with a Yahoo Plus account, as far as I can see.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 12:55 PM

can't you just set up an account in mail.app to import all messages?<br><br>
Posted by: Inverted_Flag

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 01:22 PM

my pal has a .com that was hosted by yahoo<br>regular packate, 10 emails x amount of server space etc.<br><br>yet when the time came to switch over to the .mac server<br>the site no longer came up when typed into the browser <br><br>when one types in 'macminute' , the .com automatically comes up in safari, my pal's .com does not; it goes to a portal; yahoo says it's a cname thingee.<br>Yet when you put the 'www' in front of the .com name it works? Hugh? Strange, almost anti-trustish, IMHO.<br><br>Not to mention the whole email fwding is fubar with yahoo/apple coexistence etc. <br><br>oh well, some folks learn that yahoo, not so nice<br>Mac, well, getting there by leaps and apps!<br><br>l8r<br><br><br><br>[color:green]And one more thing, screw the afterlife! This is EARTH baby!</font color=green>

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 01:52 PM

xyz .com can only point to one place. It can't point to both yahoo and .mac so yahoo did the right thing by disabling the DNS entries for xyz.com. The DNS server info for all variations of www.xyz.com probably just need time to totally propagate. It takes time, how long has it been since the changeover?<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 02:10 PM

http://www.e-link.it/macfreepops/<br><br>It will only bring in your Inbox messages, but after deleting them from the Yahoo Inbox or moving them temporarily to a temp folder in your Yahoo account, you can then move the contents of one of your Yahoo folders to the Inbox, retrieve mail in Mail, move those to another folder in Mail, then move them back to their original folder in Yahoo. Rinse and Repeat for each Yahoo folder you've made.<br><br>PM for setup help.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 02:28 PM

I haven't read anything like that anywhere but a little further down this thread Reboot has an interesting possible solution.<br><br><br>Thanks.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 02:39 PM

It works great. I just tried with my Yahoo account.<br><br>It would be best to move your Yahoo Inbox mail to a temporary folder before trying anything. If it starts retrieving mail and you don't have Remove from Server unchecked in Mail it will remove them from the Yahoo inbox.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: What's yahoo's/.mac's beef with a domain name? - 03/04/08 02:51 PM

I'm going to try it out later. Been messin' around most of the day. <br><br><br><br><br>