If you can't beat'em, buy 'em

Posted by: ScoutX

If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 04:39 AM

Following a popular and well known strategy in the world of software development, "Dancing Steve" Ballmer announced today (2/1/2008) that M$ will offer $4.6B to purchase Yahoo. M$ "will bid $31 per share, representing a 62 percent premium to Yahoo's closing stock price Thursday," said Steve. Ballmer said that M$ will offer sizeable incentives to key engineers and other employees to stay with the company.<br><br>In other news, Terry Semel announced on Thursday that he is stepping down as Yahoo's non-executive chairman, six months after handing over his CEO title to Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang. Yang announced that beleagered Yahoo is trimming 1000 jobs.<br><br>Hard to imagine the shareholders will turn this one down. Another company assimilated.<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 04:53 AM

Yahoo! says:<br>Under terms of the...d half of 2008.<br><br>That is a huge premium. MS must be seriously aching to assimil...uhm...acquire Yahoo. And they seem to have a lot loose change to throw around.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 05:19 AM

dang it, dang it, dang it. i had YHOO entered and almost bought shares yesterday when i saw it down around $19/share. dang.<br><br>this is huge as Microsoft was competing very poorly with Google and this puts Microsoft right in the mix of things. <br><br>look for Google shares to fall a bit today.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 05:37 AM

I would be interested to find out what MS's plans are for the other Yahoo properties like Flickr, MyBlogLog and others. I actually use some of those services. I hope they don't get poo-pooed to make way for some MS junk pile competing product.<br><br>I guess this was bound to happen eventually. Yahoo was getting its arse kicked by Google. And the advertising revenue Yahoo has was probably what interested MS along with the search stuff. I never cared for Yahoo's search engine though. Because it was a "directory" instead of a search engine, the results were never on par with Google.<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 07:44 AM

now THAT is a big merger ...this should be very interesting to follow<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 07:56 AM

Yeah, that would be by far Microsoft's biggest acquisition so far. Last year they bought a company called aQuantive (never heard, personally) for 6 billion dollars, which is their biggest now, so this would indeed be huge.<br><br>Also, will we be seeing Apple teaming up more closely with Google in the future?<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 08:22 AM

Take a trip down Memory Lane. Remember? It was just a short 14 years ago that it all started.<br><br>Microsoft launched Live Search in March 2006 and in two years it has made very little impact on the web. In fact, it has been highly criticized by the constant changes and redesigns to its interface by its users as well as competing search providers.<br><br>In two years Microsoft has only managed to garner 9 percent of all searches made online. Yahoo! on the other hand has a 22 percent share of searches. <br><br>44 billion dollars will immediately launch Microsoft into second place, behind Google's 58 percent. I believe Microsoft's numbers will stagnate while Google's will continue to inch upwards.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Trog

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 09:44 AM

That sucks. I've used MyYahoo as my homepage for as long as its been around. Can't wait to see how Microsoft turns it into garbage.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 09:45 AM

Me too, Trog. MS will probably screw it up and I'll have to find something else.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 10:45 AM

I've used a Yahoo email address for every online business transaction I've ever made. Nothing gives me more comfort than knowing that all the power of Microsoft security will soon have all those records. <br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:00 PM

I use my Yahoo mail for all online transactions and registering applications, etc. I had thought about changing to G mail but I've been using Yahoo for so long and have so much information there, I didn't do it.<br><br>When I heard about this latest possibility that I'd be putting all this in MS hands, I cringe.<br><br>Is there anyway to back up on my hard drive all my Yahoo info? I sometimes forward Yahoo stuff to my Apple Mail, but not a lot.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:01 PM

Yahoo has always been my home page too. Dang me! This is very bad news. . . <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:09 PM

Although my main e-mail is with Gmail, I still have two Yahoo Mail adresses I use on a regular basis, as back-up and commercial (spam recieving) accounts. I have looked at Hotmail, but have NEVER wanted to join or have an account there. If yahoo mail is absorbed into Hotmail, I will be seriously disapointed, and have to look for two new accounts, as I still WILL NOT USE a Microsoft-run Hotmail account.<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:12 PM

All of my Verizon (DSL) mail goes through yahoo servers.<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout
Posted by: Mike

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:28 PM

I especially liked one of the comments on the CNN-webpage:<br>"If this was to happen, I would stop using my Yahoo e-mail account because I don't like the feeling of Microsoft snooping in my business. It is creepy to think about, I am a Mac user specifically because I will never trust Microsoft after its monopoly in the '90s." <br><br><br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:44 PM

i think you forgot a 4... it's $44.6B<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 12:57 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> this is huge as Microsoft was competing very poorly with Google and this puts Microsoft right in the mix of things.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Except I'm not sure Yahoo was looking so good against Google either...<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: keymaker

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 01:02 PM

Usual story, can't innovate so copy, or buy. <br><br>km<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 01:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'll have to find something else<p><hr></blockquote><p>Same problem here. <br><br>[whine]Yahoo has been essentially forcing a change to their new MyYahoo page, which I don't like as well as the old one, so switching is something that I've already been thinking about. But, what to switch to is just one more problem on a long list of problems. [/whine] <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 01:28 PM

You are correct. $44.6 B. Now that's real money. What's even more impressive is that one of the stories I read this morning said that the deal is not subject to any loan approvals.<br><br>Thanks. I tried to edit, but the post is too old.<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 04:54 PM

i survey my students each semester. out of the 7 this semester, only 35 had google accounts. another 20 had yahoo accounts and the rest used their university or some other email address. Yahoo has a huge user base. but like Giz, i am worried about what would happen to stuff like Flickr -- i just signed up for a pro account a few weeks ago.<br><br>but i made all of my students get a gmail account this semester as we're using Google Docs -- so i can share docs with them. plus, they're using blogger, which Google owns. now i am glad i didn't pick Yahoo. heh.<br>

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 09:44 PM

I agree with that too, drjohn. I don't like the new improved yahoo page nearly as much as the old inferior one <br><br>But think what MS can do to improve the improvement <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 10:03 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Is there anyway to back up on my hard drive all my Yahoo info?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'd like to know that as well. If this goes through I may have to delete all that migrate elsewhere.<br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Hey All you MyYahoo users... - 02/01/08 10:03 PM

I used a MyYahoo page as my main news page for a long time too. When the Google News beta started up, I tried it out and have been using it as my main news page for quite a while now. They also have an iGoogle very customizable setup that is closest to MyYahoo. You can do multiple customizable content pages, customizable appearance, yada... Check it out. I go for months at a time without ever using MyYahoo anymore.<br><br>Might be old news to you all, thought I'd mention it just in case.<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: Hey All you MyYahoo users... - 02/01/08 10:06 PM

I think I tried a Google page, but there was something about it that I couldn't get to work as I wanted. I'll have to check back on that now.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/01/08 10:09 PM

MS should have done this maybe 10 years ago when Yahoo had 75% (? - guessing here, maybe higher) share of searches and Google was nothing more than a mathematical term.<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: Hey All you MyYahoo users... - 02/01/08 10:16 PM

They have been making steady improvements. I've made slight preference changes to the main Google News page for my main news source page. It's great how they use so many multiple sources for news as opposed to just a few. You pick the source for your news story instead of somebody picking it for you.<br><br>The iGoogle pages I keep in another browser tab for more customizable and diversified stuff.<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: Hey All you MyYahoo users... - 02/01/08 10:17 PM

yeah, i've been with iGoogle for a long time now and love the customization and "widgets" they have.<br><br><a href="http://www.google.com/ig">http://www.google.com/ig</a><br><br>

Re: Hey All you MyYahoo users... - 02/01/08 10:33 PM

I tried Google's page too and I..."liked it", but I can't quite say why I stuck with Yahoo. Its much like the Firefox vs. Safari thing. I recognize superior things about Firefox, but it just doesn't feel the same as Safari, and so I stick with it.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: If you can't beat'em, buy 'em - 02/02/08 11:26 AM

Actually, Google was incorporated 10 years ago but didn't go public until 2004. <br><br>During the same period, Microsoft had just relaunched MSN as MSN.com and their role model (competitively speaking) at the time, I'm sure, was Yahoo!. As you have suggested, Yahoo! was the juggernaut.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)