Beware: iWeb 2.0!

Posted by: Mike

Beware: iWeb 2.0! - 08/12/07 10:04 AM

If you've used a previous version of 'iWeb', make sure you're NOT installing 'iWeb 2.0'! <br>'iWeb 2.0' crashed repeatedly and has become useless. <br>In addition, it replaced my 'domain'-files and previous versions of 'iWeb' cannot read them. <br>Waiting for a fix but I guess my files are gone forever...<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: Trog

Re: Beware: iWeb 2.0! - 08/12/07 10:18 AM

Well, this iLife '08 just keeps looking better and better.<br><br>------<br>"Take that some place else."
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Beware: iWeb 2.0! - 08/12/07 10:59 AM

I haven't had any problems with it so far. I don't have a lot of pictures, though.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Beware: iWeb 2.0! - 08/12/07 03:00 PM

Played around with it a bit...can't get it to crash. Can you be a bit more specific?<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Mike

Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/12/07 05:08 PM

iWeb 2.0 overwrites the 'domain.sites' file of the previous iWeb versions and then crashes and becomes useless. Even an 'uninstall' and 'reinstall' of the older version won't get them back. Major data loss! Check the Apple discussion forums and you'll get an idea.<br>And it's not just 'iWeb'. Even the upgraded version of iDVD has problems.<br>The new version of iPhoto has already been updated.<br>In other words, 'ILife 08' has many bugs...<br>The only thing that was spared from 'bugdom' seems to be Garageband...so far.<br><br><br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 05:49 AM

Yeah, I've been reading a LOT of people's posts about problems with iLife '08. I'm holding off for updates to all the apps. Plus, I'm still miffed about the removal of all the features in iMovie that made it so fun to work with.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 05:59 AM

Fun? I thought iMovie HD was not as easy to work with as Final Cut Express. iMovie always seemed to be so limited.<br><br>I'm hoping that this new iMovie makes things easier because FCE isn't all that easy.<br><br>my beer blog

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 07:13 AM

I think you put your finger on a problem, John. Apple is really supporting three different video making apps--iMovie, FCE, and FCP. My son works on videos all the time and he laughs at people who depend on iMovie because it's so limited. He loves working with FCP when he can get his hands on it, but otherwise uses FCE. I'm thinking of buying him a copy of FCP for school--that's what he's going to be doing a lot of his time in college, so it makes sense to get it, and his school gives an extra discount for students so it's "only" 500 instead of the usual ed-discount 700.<br><br>

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 07:23 AM

I think that would be an awesome thing to get for him. Final Cut Pro offers so much. It's very intimidating for those of us who don't know what the heck we are doing, but realistically it's not that hard. I just needed some tutoring to get me started. <br><br>Of course now that I haven't played with FCE in a few months, I have forgotten all the tricks my brother showed me. <br><br>my beer blog

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 07:25 AM

Oh, and I signed up for a trial version of .Mac, created a comic blog, and uploaded it. I wanted to see if it would crash but it hasn't, yet. The dumb thing is, I can't figure out how to add a second page without it going to the main selection of what you want to add in iWeb. Come on! I want the same template but a new entry. Is that so hard? I guess for me it is.<br><br>my beer blog

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 07:38 AM

Guess I'm not sure of what you're trying to do. If you go to the File menu you can get a new page, but the default "index" page will always be the main navigation page.<br><br>

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 08:18 AM

hard to explain without being able to do a screen shot. (I'm at work).<br><br>Once I get home, I'll show you what I mean. <br><br>my beer blog

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 06:48 PM

This is what I mean. going to File, new page, it brings this up:<br><br><br><br>Which then I have to select the type of page I want. Why can't it just go with what I was using for the 1st page?<br><br>my beer blog

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/13/07 09:44 PM

I see what you mean. AFAIK that's a "feature" of the new iWeb. It allows you to have different templates for the same site, if you want to do that, or to keep the same template across all the pages on the site. It's actually a neat idea, I think.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/14/07 05:14 AM

You guys should really give RapidWeaver a try. I think you'll find that it's all you want and more. Of course it costs money, and you still need a Web site or .Mac to host the site, but it's just better in my opinion.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Not just 'iWeb'! - 08/14/07 05:46 AM

I used Shutterbug when I had a website. And blogspot is free for blogging!<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Lori

Re: Beware: iWeb 2.0! - 08/14/07 10:11 AM

Hi Mike. I had no problems at all. This is what I posted on the Apple forums in a couple of the threads.<br><br>"I am a .mac member. My iWeb 6 site upgraded to iWeb 8 with no problems.<br>I wasn't asked to find my domain file. iWeb didn't crash, either on the updating of the domain file or on publishing the site once I made a couple of little tweaks. I still have all my comments in my blog. All my photo album pages still have all their photos.<br><br>I used only the templates that came with iWeb. My one domain.sites file was in the default location (I did not change the location) The photos in my albums came from iPhoto and from folders not in iPhoto.<br>My site isn't too large. I have a Welcome, My Albums (12 albums), My Movies (7 movies) and a blog page. "<br><br><br>For Mike