.Mac. Should I stay or should I go?

Posted by: youreds

.Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/20/07 08:20 PM

I have been using .Mac since it started but now realise I hardly use any of its services apart from e-mail.<br>Can anyone recomend an alternative?<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/22/07 11:18 AM

Well dotmac for $99 or $69 is a lot to pay for just email when there are so many free email sites around.<br><br>yahoo<br><br>google<br><br>and others<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/22/07 11:28 AM

I'm waiting to see what they do with .Mac once Leopard comes out. I may get it.<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/22/07 01:52 PM

If you're only using it for email, then don't renew. The "bang" is in all of the other features.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/23/07 05:29 AM

Kate has the best solution. Free email is everywhere. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, SpyMac and more. Just do a search and you'll find plenty.<br><br>I use Gmail and love it. I can check it in Apple's Mail program, I can forward ALL my mail to Gmail to have it spam filtered and then only check Gmail from the desktop, plus it's all there if I'm checking mail from another location.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: DLC

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/23/07 07:11 AM

mmm does that G in Gmail stand for Gizmo ?? <br><br>ah ..ha !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/23/07 09:16 AM

Actually, I think it's "GodsMail" <br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: youreds

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/24/07 06:17 AM

Thanks for the advice, I have had a look at gmail (or googlemail as it is over here) and it looks very good. You have no worries over google building up information about yourself?<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/24/07 07:17 AM

I do, have a problem with putting all my eggs in one basket, as it were.<br>especially with the swine in the WH et al leaning on them day & nite.<br><br>Anyway, I have been using Dot.Mac since it's inception, but I use iDisk<br>more than anything else... but I guess you can find that cheaper too if<br>you had too. I just like the way .Mail & iDisk, and BackUp & HomePage<br>etc. all work seamlessly together, without having to do "the Rosemary<br>Stretch"<- ref: Watergate (without cobbling it together like with a PCee)<br><br>besides which "@mac" is STILL the coolest e-ddress on the dubyadubyadubya. <br><br>[color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/24/07 11:54 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You have no worries over google building up information about yourself?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I have no worries about Google in comparison to some ISP/Hosting service who can do exactly the same thing.<br><br>Let's be honest. EVERYTHING you do on the internet can be tracked by any number of people/companies. Google tracks your search habits now, even without using gmail. All Gmail is doing is looking at the text of your email to compare it with their database of ads to put on the page. It's not like they have a room full of people doing this, it's all automated.<br><br>On top of that, should I really care that there's a possibility that someone out there reads my email and now knows my mother's secret recipe for baked chicken she emailed me?<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/24/07 01:51 PM

<br>Apparently, you've lived a much duller existence than I have. <br><br><br><br>[color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>
Posted by: iPirate

Re: .Mac. Should I stay or should I go? - 07/29/07 03:32 AM

dot mac is a croc.<br><br>But i will give it one thing, if you need to use ichat you can register a dot mac account for a free trial and the user name remains yours even after the trial period is over.<br><br>other than that is a rip off.<br><br> whenever i see a [color:red]r</font color=red>[color:blue]a</font color=blue>i[color:purple]n</font color=purple>b[color:orange]o</font color=orange>[color:green]w</font color=green> i know god is having gay sex