Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please!

Posted by: Topper

Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/09/07 04:03 PM

I am helping a friend who has switched from PC to Mac.<br>Everything is going well except.....<br>I can not get her Yahoo mail account to work with Mail.app<br>She can not receive mail.<br>I have her mail settings as follows:<br>Incoming mail server is: pop.mail.yahoo.com<br>Outgoing mail server is: smtp.mail.yahoo.com<br>Server port is 587.<br>Any suggestions?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/09/07 04:39 PM

Found this, Topper. Don't know if it'll work, but can't hurt to try.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/09/07 06:52 PM

I tried to set up an account in Apple Mail to receive my Yahoo mail and couldn't get it to work.<br><br>I just don't think Yahoo's servers can be configured as a proxy mail server. IOWs, I suspect they want you to log in to their servers in order to capture your eyes. The promotional gimmickry is what allows them to provide the free email service.<br><br>Now, when they begin "pushing" their mail to Apple's iPhone, I believe you will be able to have your mail pulled in using Apple Mail but that remains to be seen.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: sean

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/09/07 07:24 PM

gmail works just swell. she could have all of her mail forwarded to a new gmail account. and then gmail allows you to send mail from another account (e.g., her yahoo account), so nobody would even know. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: Pete

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 06:13 AM

Correct - you must have the Yahoo 'Plus' account in order to access your mail via local client, such as Mail or Entourage.<br><br>It's $20 a year...<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 07:33 AM

So why don't they be honest and call it the Yahoo Cha-ching account? <br><br>

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 07:38 AM

She does have Yahoo's Mail Plus account.<br><br><br>

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 11:55 AM

I'll look in my Mail settings and post back later if you haven't solved the problem by then - on my way out now...<br><br>

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 12:04 PM

I did find some settings for Yahoo Mail Plus on the internet.<br>This is what I found for setting up Apple's Mail.<br>This is my translation which I e-mailed to my friend.<br><br>Incoming Mail (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.com<br>Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com<br>Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com")<br><br>Click on "Server Settings"<br>Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com<br>Server port: 465<br>Click on "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)<br>Authentication: Password<br>Click "Okay"<br><br>Click on the Advance Menu.<br>Port: 995<br>Click on "Use SSL"<br>Authentication "Password"<br><br>

Re: Yahoo Mail Account.....Help!...Please! - 03/10/07 12:08 PM

I'll let you know more later but I think it is working.<br>Thx.<br><br><br>

Good, good, good... - 03/10/07 01:57 PM

I have been informed that Yahoo! Mail Plus is up and running in Mail.<br><br><br>

Re: Good, good, good... - 03/10/07 02:01 PM

Mazeltov!<br><br>

Re: Good, good, good... - 03/10/07 02:13 PM

Yes, thank you. <br>Everything should be working now, iTunes, Quicken, Parallels, email etc.<br>Maybe I can get some rest now.<br><br>I know a woman who has a PC who is a lot smarter than I am.<br>When someone would ask her what computer should they buy.<br>She suggested they look into Macs.<br>She knew they would then come to me.<br>She knew that if they bought a PC they would be bugging her all day long with questions.<br>Me?, I never learned that lesson because I am stupid.<br><br><br>