Import Gmail to Mail.app

Posted by: biglips

Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/23/06 09:35 PM

I am running the Panther version of Apple and would like to import my Gmail mailbox to my Mail.app. I wish to have these messages on my HD. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who could walk me through the process. I'm sure there must be persons out there who have successfully done this.<br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/23/06 10:04 PM

In Mail preferences, go to the Accounts window. Select POP as account type. As descriptor, type in whatever you want--I just have GMail. Type in your GMail address and then your name. The incoming mail server is pop.gmail.com. Type in your username and your password. Click the Server Settings button. In Outgoing Mail Server type in smtp.gmail.com. Type in server port 587. Check the Secure Sockets Layer box. In the Authentication pop up, select Password. For username type in the full username@gmail.com. Type in the password. Click OK.<br><br>Now go to your GMail account. Click the Settings link. Go to the Forwarding and Pop tab. Under POP dowloads, click the button you want to use. In the "When messages are accesssed with POP" pop-up menu, select the appropriate setting. Click Save Changes. You're done.<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: Michael

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 06:47 AM

Sure lets go over this once a week biglips<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 07:02 AM

You got a problem with the Department of Redundancy Department, huh? <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 07:14 AM

The socks were hung by the chimney with care. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 08:38 AM

Now see? That's a great eye deer! MMMMMMOD1 sssssssshoulda just hung our socks. On the mantle, of course. <br><br>

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 02:46 PM

Thank you for your very good directions, but I'm not trying to create a Gmail account, I've had one for 18 months. What I'm trying to do is find a way to import my Gmail mailbox to my Apple hard drive. I was hoping someone out there had successfully done this and would be good enough to walk me through it. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/24/06 11:08 PM

I don't think you read what I wrote. I'm not telling you how to create an account, but rather how to have Mail.app download mail from the account you've already created. If you don't want to pay attention to what I indicated, that of course is your prerogrative.<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: andybloom

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/25/06 02:33 AM

Yoyo is spot on the money... His explanation is even more cogent than the Apple/Google guidethrough.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/25/06 06:11 AM

I think he meant to say<br><div style="font-style:bold; font-size:124px; text-shadow: E3E3E4 6px 6px 4px; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; color: red; font-weight:bold">What?</div><br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Import Gmail to Mail.app - 12/25/06 06:58 AM

Sorry if you were offended, I meant no slight. I went back and reread your previous post, and followed your directions starting with paragraph 2. For the record, let me state that in two seconds I began being deluged with 804 messages from Gmail mailbox to my Mail.app INBOX.mbox. Thank you for your help.<br><br>On the chance you might have a fix for my original problem, I tempted to press my luck and ask if you have a clue why Mail.app is so touchy about downloading my messages from Gmail's POP server in the first place. It would be so seamless if I didn't have to do it manually in 800 message blocks.<br><br>