dot Mac e-mail account asking for password again

Posted by: polymerase

dot Mac e-mail account asking for password again - 11/15/06 07:32 AM

and I forgot what the fix was.<br><br>Several IMAP e-mail accounts running in my mail.app. A week ago my dot mac account now wants my password entered every morning. This happened a couple years ago but I forgot how to fix it. Hard to search for the answer. All should work, Told to remember and add to key chain<br><br>Is there a gentle way to do this without tossing my keychain and entering all my passwords? Rebuild something. Delete one plist?<br><br>It's only annoying but the dang dialog box can hang a background process I am running at night. (These are wire exposed apps cruncing data and don't know what a mail.app is.)<br><br><br>.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/15/06 07:39 AM

Did you try to look for the username & password for that specific account in the keychain? It should present you with a list of all remembered accounts, and you can select the account to inspect.<br><br>www.waleedsgallery.biz<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password again - 11/15/06 08:02 AM

Do you have the password in the mail app prefs Accounts>Account Information>server settings?<br><br>***Leoville

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/15/06 08:26 AM

Did that, looks fine and dandy.<br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/15/06 08:27 AM

Checked that too, looks fine and dandy.<br><br>I think I will wave my magic all purpose wand. (and repair permissions.)<br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/15/06 08:33 AM

Repaired permissions and on a very short list there were a few secure logs that needed -rw------- changed to -rw-r----- <br>Maybe mail.app couldn't read a log so farted in my direction?<br><br>I poked into the place walzuhair suggested and you suggested. Those two pokes and a repair permission and I bet it is gone.<br><br>I will report back in the morning. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/28/06 08:25 AM

This mac e-mail account is still asking me for the password every morning. It is one of those things that is going to drive me crazy because I always have to stop and think (I hate that), "Is this a program infesting my computer that is harvesting my passwords?"<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/28/06 09:42 AM

Try setting the authentication to none in the Mail account server settings. It may stop asking for the password.<br><br>***Leoville

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/28/06 01:18 PM

Hmm, now how did that get set to authorized? I took it off and see how it goes. Thanks (if it does not return.)<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/28/06 03:40 PM

I've always found that a reboot will cure it.<br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/29/06 04:55 AM

I was installing some wiki server software and actually did do a restart. My office computer probably had not been restarted in months even with Parallels running so you might be right.<br><br><br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 11/30/06 06:24 AM

Still doing it. I am going to disconnect the software from checking my dot mac account. Bummer.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 12/07/06 12:50 AM

Mine has been asking me again every morning. Some one told us before to just say 'no' or <br>'cancel'. I do that and it is okay the rest of the day.<br><br><br><br>

Re: dot Mac e-mail account asking for password aga - 12/07/06 07:18 AM

Did you check your keychain settings via Edit => Change Setting for Keychain Login? It my be set to lock.<br><br>