gmail, just random thoughts ...

Posted by: cesrivas

gmail, just random thoughts ... - 02/07/06 06:25 PM

<br>now, that gmail will incorporate IM (google talk), it makes me wonder about which direction will google follow, going after exchange (maybe not againsts all the exchange fuctions).<br><br>+ as google serch applience and google mini, sell a email, IM, calender system, data indexing for small companies, like a pre-configured box and the only thing needed is to attach storage via a raid<br>+ add a calendering application to gmail for personal use, hotmail and yahoo have calenders with their mail system, but they s**k big time<br>+ voicemail system, features from the voice system from google talk.<br><br>what do you thing? <br><br>----<br>:) "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posted by: sean

Re: gmail, just random thoughts ... - 02/07/06 06:54 PM

google is becoming the next microsoft. they'll have a monopoly of sorts; though, i can't envision 90% market-share. i wouldn't be surprised to see google come through in a few years with about a 70% share of the search market, which will carry over into their other web 2.0 apps. google is doing things pretty well, so they have a much more favorable opinion from the public than microsoft. that being said, yahoo and microsoft are going to put up a strong fight . . . but google is just better. <br><br>regarding the calendar app . . . i am still holding out hope for sunbird by mozilla. i have a soft spot for open source projects. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: carp

Re: gmail, just random thoughts ... - 02/07/06 08:45 PM

Interesting<br>I glanced at a Wall Street Journal today but did not read it due to I was in a rent a car. Anyway there was a "search hit" comparison between MSN - Yahoo and Google. MSN had about 56% - Yahoo was second with 40% and the rest was Google. Something like that.<br><br>Anyway I wish I picked it up and read it. Also there was another comparison between the 3 and Google was dead last on that one too ?<br><br>
Posted by: cesrivas

Re: gmail, just random thoughts ... - 02/10/06 04:53 PM

whhattt! can I predict the future??<br><br>Big mail on campus<br><br>2/10/2006 10:20:00 AM<br>Posted by Stephanie Hannon, Gmail Product Manager<br><br>San Josť City College (SJCC) has embarked on a technology improvement program, and for the first time will be offering student email accounts. That's where we come in. We're testing a new service with the school by hosting Gmail accounts with SJCC domain addresses (like student@jaguars.sjcc.edu), plus admin tools for efficient account management. Massive storage and features that tame the most unruly inboxes, like powerful mail search, conversation view for messages, and a fast interface, make Gmail very handy for students. Together, we're pleased to provide this channel for better communications and a stronger community for all 10,000 SJCC students.<br><br>If your school, business or organization is interested in following SJCC's lead, let us know.<br><br>http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/big-mail-on-campus.html<br>https://www.google.com/hosted/Home<br><br>----<br>:) "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." - Obi-Wan Kenobi