iDisk...need help

Posted by: drjohn

iDisk...need help - 09/24/05 12:56 PM

Apple, the helpful company.<br>Sound but no pictures.<br><br><br>I have a large Photoshop picture file, zip compressed, that I'd like to use my iDisk storage (Public folder?) with so someone can download it. I only want them to see, and have access to, just this one file and nothing else. Can I do that?<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/24/05 01:32 PM

I think you can only password protect entire folders, not single files.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 11:27 AM

Sure you can. Create a folder within the "Sites" folder and dropped the zipped file in there. Then send them the URL http://homepage.mac.com/yourname/folder/Photshopfile.zip and the file will start downloading when they open the link in a browser. <br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 03:39 PM

Thanks, Mike. I put it on a CD and mailed it, but I'll try that the next time. <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 06:48 PM

That will work. However, if they know what they are doing, there is nothing to keep them from going up your directory and then gaining access to your Public folder.<br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 08:58 PM

Hmmm. I tried doing that with a test file and it didn't work. The zip file, rather than downloading, showed in the browser as code.<br><br>Hmmm again. Tried it again using DropZip for compression, instead of Apple's "Create Archive of...", and it worked. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by drjohn on 09/26/05 00:20 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 09:50 PM

That's weird. I tried it with an Apple zipped file and a Stuffit zipped file and both downloaded.<br><br>Did the first file totally upload to your iDisk before you tried downloading it? Uploading to iDisk can be so slow it may not have finished.<br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 10:40 PM

Screenshots of iDisk in Goliath. <br><br><br>Weird. The same picture file was zipped 2 different ways. The top pic shows the results of using DropZip, it shows as a application/zip and it works for downloading.<br><br>The other pic shows the results of using "Create Archive of..." to zip the file. It shows as a text file and doesn't work.<br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 10:48 PM

Does this happen with several different browsers or just one in particular?<br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 10:57 PM

Only tried it with Firefox. I use Goliath for transfering the file to my iDisk and that's what the pictures are from. The file shows up as 2 different things, depending on which process I zipped it with. Why would the browser make a difference?<br><br>

Re: iDisk...need help - 09/25/05 11:28 PM

Apparently, it does. I just tried my test files out with Firefox and the same thing happened. One downloaded fine, the other showed up as jibberish in the browser window.<br><br>