.Mac page names

Posted by: lesh

.Mac page names - 07/22/05 04:03 PM

Thought I'd ask before I just try and do this and pooch one of my .Mac pages. <br><br>Is it possible to change the name of the page without having to recreate the whole thing? <br><br>What prompts me to ask is this: I've just discovered my old 'Textile Designs' page is linked as a textile design 'Resource' on a website. I don't consider it to be such, and I'm digging around to find an email to try and contact these folks. In the meantime I just thought it easiest to pull my page so the link becomes 404, but I don't want to take the page out of existence all together. Hence my question.<br><br>Am I making sense?<br><br>
Posted by: watcher

Re: .Mac page names - 07/22/05 09:03 PM

Some fiddling can be done with the names and you can make sites that are invisible from the root but you do need to understand the heirachal nomenclature that .Mac uses.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: .Mac page names - 07/22/05 10:15 PM

First, make a backup copy of the html doc, for instance "PhotoAlbum12.html". Then rename the original html file any way you want. The link "http://homepage.mac.com/yourname/PhotoAlbumnewname.html" should still work. If not, just copy the old html doc back.<br><br>I can't stand the way .mac names these things without giving you any control when you're setting up the page. I only have a File Sharing page set up and it still tacked on number on it. I renamed it without the number and it works fine.<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: .Mac page names - 07/23/05 06:38 AM

I want to disable the original link altogether. I don't really care what the name in the url is.<br><br>Can I create a new .Mac *site* and move the page there? Or will the .Mac index always point to the original location?<br><br>Meh, maybe it's just time to re-do the page and add some of my current work...<br><br>Thanks anyway for the replies.<br><br>

Re: .Mac page names - 07/23/05 08:36 AM

I just futzed around with my .mac site and it seems like, if you want to have a homepage with links to other pages within it, you can't rename the links and have the homepage still point to it.<br><br>Admittedly, I'm probably not the best one to ask about this since I've always used my own html except for the File Sharing page. Early on, I tried using .mac to publish pages and got confused pretty quickly. Just messing around with it for a few minutes this morning shows it hasn't gotten much better over the years, at least for me. If you don't start with .mac right from the beginning to create your site and links, it's almost impossible to go back later and edit things. I like to have more control than Apple seems to be willing to give me. Typical Steve "Control Freak" Jobs behaviour. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: .Mac page names - 07/23/05 12:36 PM

Check out the Salling Clicker dude, he seems to be doing what everybody else wants to do. <br><br>

Re: .Mac page names - 07/23/05 02:29 PM

Yeah, but they're generating and uploading their own html, bypassing .mac's Homepage setup altogether, which is pretty easy to do if you know html. If you want to use .mac's Homepage to generate photo albums, share movies, etc., you're stuck with those crapass PhotoAlbum85394.html and FileSharing2840.html page names it generates. Why it can't let you assign your own page names or at least do it sequentially is a mystery. It's pretty inelegant when you think about it, the kind of thing Steve Jobs is known to pitch a fit about. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: .Mac page names - 07/23/05 05:17 PM

I don't have .Mac, so I can't try this, but can you edit the file names through the web interface?<br><br>A person could also get their own domain from somebody like GoDaddy or RegisterFly and pay $6-$8 a year to just forward their domain with a frame to their .Mac page, so people would just see yourpage.com in the address bar and you could navigate the iDisk. <br><br>There are also a bunch of apps to generate your own photo albums, including iPhoto. Granted, they don't look as good as the fancy apple ones, but you know...<br><br>For instance, this one was generated with the export command in iPhoto:<br><br>Link<br><br>