Is this a GMail limitation?

Posted by: Trog

Is this a GMail limitation? - 06/27/05 08:54 PM

I use my home desktop and laptop about equally. As I am soon to be between campus email addresses I wanted to set up a Gmail address and use Apple's Mail.app to check. Everything works fine except...<br><br>I can only receive a message from the GMail server once. Even if I have Mail.app set to "leave on server for a week", the computer that checks mail first will receive a copy, but the other one won't.<br><br>I've checked the settings for Mail.app and they are the same as for any other POP account. Any ideas or is this a limit to GMail's ability?<br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Is this a GMail limitation? - 06/27/05 10:27 PM

Gmail works just like any other POP-accessed e-mail. You're wanting something like IMAP, where multiple computers can access the same e-mails. <br><br>The only way you can check the same e-mails on different machines with Gmail is to go through the web browser. <br><br>You can set the Forwarding and Pop settings in Gmail to leave the email in the inbox after it is downloaded via Pop, so at least it will be there to see in a web browser on another computer. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Is this a GMail limitation? - 06/28/05 10:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You're wanting something like IMAP, where multiple computers can access the same e-mails.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for the reply, but that isn't limited to IMAP. I have two existing POP mail accounts (1 thru university, the other bought from Yahoo) and they both work just fine for what I want to do. If you set the email client to something like "leave on server for 1 week" then when you check from a different email client the message is downloaded again (as long as it is within 7 days of the first download). As long as the message is "new" to the client accessing it, it will be downloaded. I've been doing this for a couple years now with both accounts.<br><br>I can't imagine why this wouldn't be the case for Gmail. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Is this a GMail limitation? - 06/29/05 01:04 AM

Oh Ok...gotcha. <br><br>Yeah..leaving it on the server should allow access from multiple computers. Gmail is wacky like that, though...what it decides is "still on the server" is a bit confusing. You can move stuff to the inbox, but if its already been downloaded once...ever in its lifetime...it won't re-download. <br><br>Looks like Gmail won't do the trick for you. <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Is this a GMail limitation? - 06/29/05 04:27 AM

The main reason I don't use Mail.app to access Gmail is that all messages in my Google account get lumped into my inbox in Mail.app, including ones I've sent. So if I access my Gmail at work via the web interface and send an email, at home (in Mail.app) that message shows up in my inbox. But I'll shed no tears...I'll take Gmail's web interface over Tiger Mail any day. Mail.app's not even in my Dock anymore.<br><br>