Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget?

Posted by: SparkCollector

Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/22/05 10:32 AM

When I first got my gMail account a couple weeks ago I tried the little menulet <A HREF=http://www.lloydslounge.org/gee/>[color:TEAL]<U>GEE</U></FONT></A> to automatically check my gMail account for incoming messages, but it kept flaking out on me so I ditched it.<br><br>I decided to have a look for a Dashboard widget to automatically check my gMail account. I chose to try <A HREF=http://sourceforge.net/projects/gotmailg/>[color:TEAL]<U>"gotMailG"</U></FONT></A> (from Sourceforge.net, and listed on Apple's Widgets directory) and haven't been able to get it to work.<br><br>Any thoughts? What's been working for you with your gMail account to automatically check Incoming Mail status?<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/22/05 11:53 AM

Mail.app<br><br> <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/22/05 11:54 AM

I used Gcount for a while, it worked perfectly. But now I just have Mail to get my GMail.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/22/05 12:30 PM

Ehh, maybe I should try Mail again, since bouncing up to 10.4. I didn't really like the first version.<br><br>
Posted by: skim1420

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/23/05 04:21 PM

What are you using to check all your email accounts now? Or is gmail your only email account?<br><br>--<br>http://www.stevenkimband.com/

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/23/05 04:48 PM

I have 3 different accounts set up in Thunderbird, Steven.<br><br>Hmm...I never even thought to see if I could set up another account to check on gMail's incoming messages automatically.<br><br>Ummm, do you have any idea if it's possible before I go off and running on a wild goose chase?<br><br>
Posted by: skim1420

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/23/05 04:56 PM

Yes, it's totally possible. I have my parents' gmail accounts set up on Thunderbird on their PCs.<br><br>--<br>http://www.stevenkimband.com/

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/23/05 08:49 PM

You can either have thunderbird actually check the Gmail server, or you can have Gmail forward a copy of all mail to another address.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/23/05 08:54 PM

I tried for a few minutes and couldn't get the gMail account I set up in Thunderbird (following Google's Windows-centric Help page instructions) to retrieve any test messages.<br><br>I'll futz with it when I have more time and patience.<br><br>
Posted by: aidos

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/30/05 07:45 AM

you could try out the widget i made, it lives at www.scue.co.uk/gmail<br><br>

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/30/05 11:45 AM

And I'd want to try a widget from somebody with NO history here, and who just HAPPENED to show up in this thread....WHY, exactly?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/30/05 11:56 AM

Hey Spark- I got some free 'dinc' fonts for you too- interested?<br><br>Back in Black...

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/30/05 12:05 PM

That bleepin' Sourceforge widget ("gotMailG") still doesn't work.<br><br>I went through the hassle of registering at SourceForge.net, just so I could enter the forum and carefully type out a detailed account of what I'd tried to get it to work. Got a reply several days later that the widget had been updated to take advantage of some change initiated by Google for the mail feed. <br><br>Got the newest version this morning. Still ain't workin'.<br><br>pfffft!<br><br>And couldn't seem to configure Thunderbird to check my gMail account without somehow screwing up my entrée into my Comcast accounts.<br><br>

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 06/30/05 12:12 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And I'd want to try a widget from somebody with NO history here, and who just HAPPENED to show up in this thread....WHY, exactly?<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Uhhh, why? Probably to let you know that he made a GMail widget that you might be interested in trying. Just a guess. <br><br>FWIW, I've tried his widget, and it does in fact work.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: aidos

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 07/11/05 02:13 AM

One of those types, eh? That's the spirit, get all bitter about someone pointing you to a bit of free software that they spent many hours making. that's appreciation.<br><br><br>

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 07/11/05 05:46 AM

pfffft!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Anybody using a gMail Dashboard Widget? - 07/11/05 10:11 AM

Oh yeah, I've used that widget before. It works quite nicely. I have since switched to using Gee though, just because its in the menubar and I don't switch to the Dashboard that frequently.<br><br>