Yahoo mail no more

Posted by: skim1420

Yahoo mail no more - 02/16/05 09:40 PM

I will use Yahoo mail no more. My spam rate is like 98%. Wouldn't have thought twice past a sigh until Google Mail came along. Zero spam.<br><br>..wow that sounds like a commercial script.<br><br>--<br>http://www.stevenkimband.com/
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/16/05 09:46 PM

Gmail rocks the house. <br><br>I like Yahoo for the calendar, the notepad and the address book, but Yahoo Mail is turning into Hotmail. The Spam is just off the charts. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/16/05 10:05 PM

That's weird, I've been using Yahoo mail since the late 90's and I don't have a problem. I use it specifically for making net purchases and shady websites and its still solid.<br><br>Do you use the spam reporting and the bulk mail folder? I know that until that came along it was a problem, and occasionally I'll still have a week where I get a few yucky messages, but after sending them to the Yahoo spam police they don't come back.<br><br>Currently Yahoo has less spam than my university email, which I give to no one, and supposedly has a spam firewall of some type paid for by the school.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/16/05 10:13 PM

Though I can't remember which sites they were, some sites won't even accept yahoo or hotmail emai addy's for registration verification anymore because so many people set up bogus email accounts, spoof the address or otherwise misuse them. Other sites don't accept them because they know that they get so much spam that THEIR spam won't get noticed <br><br>I have a yahoo addy, but I never use it. I also have .mac, spymac, and 2 other webmail accounts... and I never really look at them either. They're nothing more than an extra addy to use for registrations to web sites. But at least they're useable.<br><br>Gmail is really nice. It's clean, simple and most important, it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. The threading feature is quite handy, and despite my long-time habit of trashing most all email after I read it, I haven't trashed anything yet with Gmail.<br><br>
Posted by: skim1420

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 12:36 AM

Yeah I do have the bulk email feature turned on. It wasn't catching anything so I even tried resetting it once. No improvement.<br><br>Gmail rocks the house indeed.<br><br>--<br>http://www.stevenkimband.com/

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 01:21 AM

Gmail needs a couple improvements to completely blow away Yahoo and Hotmail for good. <br><br>1.) Ability to check other POP e-mail accounts. <br><br>2.) Folders for people who aren't comfortable embracing the labeling alternative. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 04:13 AM

I think sooner or later, the spammers will find a way to your inbox, no matter where it resides. For the past 5 or 6 months, my .mac account has been barraged by all kinds of crap (fortunately, nothing really offensive). My business addy has begun to see some of the same, too, in recent weeks. Even the main account addy for my ISP which I have never ever used is starting to pick up some garbage here and there. <br><br>I just add filters as needed, or the good old delete key. No way around it I guess...<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 06:51 AM

you got that right. <br>What sucks for me, is that I've had to create some really strict filters, which on the surface works like a charm, but the problem is that if someone emails me, but if the sender doesn't exist in my address book, they're junked. <br>I can't figure a way around this so even though all the junk mail gets weeded out, I STILL have to spend time looking through it, just to make sure nobody accidently went in the trash can. And if I don't check my junk mail every day... I end up with 100+ in there.<br><br>Very frustrating.<br><br>

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 06:55 AM

I have probably 10 friends that constantly spam me with their joke forwards and other stuff. <br><br>So, I told them I changed my e-mail address to Gmail, then went about setting up 10 e-mail filters. As a result, all of their e-mail bypasses my inbox and goes straight to the trash. <br><br>Gmail's spam filtering is the best I've seen. <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 06:59 AM

your friends are spammers? lol<br><br>

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 07:01 AM

A few are. You know, the usual crap. Jokes, family news, mass e-mails and the like.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 07:01 AM

That's really odd- like Trog, Yahoo catches virtually ALL my spam- even puts stuff in the 'Bulk' folder that *isn't* spam sometimes...<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Yahoo mail no more - 02/17/05 12:41 PM

I get about 4 spams a day on my Yahoo account. It catches them all and putls them in the Bulk folder.<br><br>