gMail

Posted by: iraszl

gMail - 10/12/04 01:27 PM

don't you guys just love it? it's like having your personal forum. it's really great! i hope the mail.app developers are gMail users. there is stuff to learn, which i personally never thought is possible with email apps anymore.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: gMail - 10/12/04 01:30 PM

Am I miss something? I have a gMail account, but it's essentially no different than any other web mail.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: gMail - 10/12/04 02:37 PM

I think the same way. All I heard was how great it is, but I've now had one for a couple months and I don't see anything special about it.<br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/12/04 11:36 PM

you will only realize it when you have several messages and replys back and forth.<br><br><br><br>it automatically shows rely text, so you only see the imporant parts of the conversations. it's difficult to explain, but once you start using it you can never go back even to the mail.app threaded view.<br><br>there are tonns of cool features. for example when you read a mail, you will have a quick reply text box, so you don't even need to hit reply, just start typing. the shortcuts, the labels...<br><br>check this out<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 01:48 AM

Hmmm... alright, I'll mess with it more. Thanks.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 03:19 AM

I like it for a variety of reasons. <br><br>If you use Gmail status with it, you get the notification of new mail and how many messages in the finder toolbar. <br><br>Also, the keyboard shortcuts in Gmail are cool...you hit C to compose a new e-mail and shift C to compose a new email in a new window. It's also lightning-fast (faster than Apple Mail,) but only if you use Firefox. Gmail is a slug in Safari. <br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 04:49 AM

here are all the tools you need for your gmail account on OS X<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 05:12 AM

I must be getting old... not much about email excites me. I miss the good old days of actually talking to someone! <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 05:40 AM

"Getting?"<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 06:17 AM

I'm with you Giz. I have a GMail, but don't use it. Mail.app's reply threading works for me. I don't see the advantage. Plus I know my mail is on my hard disk where I can back it up myself, and I don't have to read ads to get my mail.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 06:28 AM

Ah com‘ on now, you've got 23,183 posts.<br>Since when do you have any time to talk to anyone in person.<br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 07:23 AM

Yes, but 10,000 of those posts were made during the "Lost Weekend" at MC! <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 08:26 AM

I already have Gmail status and I'm not going to use a different browser. But thanks anyway. <br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 05:59 PM

The imfamous "Lost Weekend."<br>That probably more than anything changed the forums at MC.<br>What irritated me was "Lost Weekend" didn't hurt anyone because it was a weekend and no one was visiting the forum.<br>I am not sure who the culprits were but I think it was you, Alec, Marg (I know it was Marg), and Carp.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 07:21 PM

That was so fun. I think it was an Easter weekend and my husband had to work.<br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 07:25 PM

I should have known you would have been there, Shelli.<br>Marg told me she had a good time that weekend.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 08:40 PM

i didn't enjoy the lost weekend. then again, i don't enjoy any of the post padding-type discussions. that weekend took it to a whole new level. <br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato

Re: gMail - 10/13/04 08:46 PM

It was fun, I actually giggled out loud, but then I do that here too sometimes.<br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/14/04 04:36 AM

Yes, but it didn't hurt anything, Sean.<br>It was a weekend and it was boring and nobody was visiting so they just took off with it and they had fun.<br>I used to be one of the top posters over at MC.<br>I only have 300 posts here and just double digit posts at MC since they changed the forums.<br>I doesn't matter to me how many posts anyone has.<br>There wouldn't be enough "Lost Weekends" in my lifetime to catch up to some of these people nor do I want to. <br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/14/04 06:01 AM

Actually, I didn't have a single post that weekend, because I wasn't there. I was on a weekend vacation, but I enjoyed the hell out of reading it afterwards. <br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/14/04 06:06 AM

Good, my memory isn't completely gone then because I didn't think you were there.<br><br>

Re: gMail - 10/14/04 06:10 AM

Had nothing to do with post padding.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: gMail - 10/14/04 06:30 AM

then just seemed that way. in any regard, it was bad enough that it led to changes, so someone must not have liked it. for the record, i didn't enjoy it, but i didn't complain to anyone and i didn't want to see the changes that resulted.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato