Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail

Posted by: Anonymous

Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 05:00 AM

Can anyone tell me: Is it possible to use Apple Mail to access my Yahoo! mail account (the free version)?<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 05:10 AM

technically no, only the paid POP account can be accessed with Mail app.<br>There is a third party app that is said to work with transferring Mail. I forgot the name of it though. I am pretty sure it is at Version Tracker. I'll go take a look and see if I can find it.<br>Found it:<br>Mail Forward X<br><br><br>For Mike<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lori on 08/24/04 08:13 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 05:23 AM

thank you!<br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 05:41 AM

glad to help<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 06:07 PM

I downloaded Mail Forward X, and I can now send mail from my Mac Mail, but I still can't receive. My incoming mail server still says mail.yahoo.com. I'm not sure if that's the problem... I followed the Mail Forward instruction to create a rule that forwards all of my mail (to my Yahoo account). I've definitely screwed it up somehow, I'm just not sure at which point. <br>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 07:22 PM

That's because the app only FORWARDS all your MAIL to your Yahoo address. It has nothing to do with E-mail applications.<br><br>Currently, you can use an app like YMail to have an icon in your menu bar that checks your Yahoo Mail for you and notifies you when you have some, but you can't send with it - and I don't know of any app that will allow you to receive or send Yahoo email using Apple's Mail application.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 07:46 PM

Hi. Thanks for your help. The thing is, though, I'm able to send. I just can't receive. If I had it set up properly, shouldn't my yahoo mail be forwarded into my Mac Mail application? I think I'm just filling in one field incorrectly... Should my incoming mail server say mail.pop.yahoo.com, instead of mail.yahoo.com? <br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/24/04 08:02 PM

Yes your Yahoo Mail should be forwarded to one of your POP accounts, and then can be downloaded with your Mail client.<br>Check out how it is filled out on this page--->linky<br><br>It seems like you put in your yahoo email address and then fill in the default account to forward the Mail to. the SMTP should be the one given to you by your ISP if that is the account you are going to forward the Mail to, or the .mac SMTP if that is the account you are going to forward to.<br><br><br>For Mike<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lori on 08/24/04 11:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/25/04 06:50 AM

FWIW, YMail just stopped working one day- not sure why!<br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/25/04 07:22 AM

It's Dubya's fault! <br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 08/26/04 06:00 PM

Your incoming mail server should be set to pop.mail.yahoo.com<br>Also in the web based yahoo email options you should select web & pop access not forwarding. <br>Caution, Yahoo changed their mail on june 15. That is probably why Daddymac lost his ymail. It happened to me too. It took six weeks to get it fixed.<br><br>
Posted by: ichi

OT: you can do hotmail though... - 08/29/04 08:28 PM

OT: you can with hotmail accounts using 'httpmail plugin' for Mail, available over at versiontracker.<br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 09/29/04 10:33 AM

I downloaded httpmail, but now I don't know how to set up the hotmail account in Mail (what names to put for the servers)<br><br>Can anyone help me? I am trying to access my web-based hotmail account with Mail on my PowerBook. <br><br>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 11/02/04 10:25 AM

I have HTTPMAIL installed and have set up my Yahoo account to work in Mail, but Yahoo keeps rejecting my password. I have even gone to their stupid website and put in the password and it works fine... any suggestions?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 11/02/04 10:27 AM

I just went for the MailPlus for the $20 a year and have my Yahoo messages coming directly into Mail...<br><br>Same thing happens with that setup though- sometimes the Yahoo inbox will reject the password, and then work fine the next day or a few hours later..<br><br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 11/03/04 01:06 PM

Yeah, that type of service is not worth 20.00 a year to me. I think I will just drop Yahoo altogether. I'm about tired of them.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Yahoo! mail w/ Apple Mail - 11/03/04 01:44 PM

Not me- I use it for everything now...helps me keep my ISP account's inbox spam-free (for the most part, anyway)- plus I've signed up for too much crap with that address to let it go at this point...<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>