Email-only on .Mac

Posted by: Anonymous

Email-only on .Mac - 08/10/02 10:17 PM

Does anyone know how to convert an old iTools account to an email only account. I know the FAQ on the site says how, but nothing they say is true. They say go to "account" and click "account management" then click "convert", but there is no account management button!<br><br>If you go to account all you can do is edit your personal information. I have no idea what the FAQ wants me to do, or if even if the email only option is actually up on the apple site yet.<br><br>Does this mean I have to purchase an account before I can make it email only? Is the email only free? Has anyone else converted there email?<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/10/02 10:32 PM

So far you have to purchase .Mac after Sept 30th in order to keep your email.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 12:17 AM

I don't want to hash up this .mac crap all over again... but I'm a little surprised that they haven't released an email-only option yet. Just charge $10-20/year. I mean, what does it really cost them to maintain a 5MB mailbox? Plus, it would stop most of the pissed off people from bitching and moaning, and some would eventually sign up for the full .mac later on. Everyone would win. Seriously, what is WRONG with that idea??<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 08:34 AM

That's total crap. I understand charging for all the stuff you get for .Mac, but how could anyone justify charging the SAME amount for just email. I just want email darn it! Who would pay $100 just to email? I would maybe pay $10 max a year for the privelage of having a mac.com email address. But thats all I needó email. No iDisk, no iCard, nada.<br><br>Anyway, thanks for the answer.<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 08:57 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I understand charging for all the stuff you get for .Mac, but how could anyone justify charging the SAME amount for just email.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>That $100 is not just for email..you get 100GB of space too and some other features. <br><br>If you don't like it, don't get it...simple! Use your email that your ISP provided..<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 10:17 AM

I agree... I don't understand why anyone would pay ANYTHING for e-mail when you already get it for free from your ISP (most even offer up to 5 e-mail addys per account). The .mac pricing is fantastic if you take advantage of ALL .Mac has to offer, but anyone who only wants certain parts of it is a fool to pay that much.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 10:20 AM

yeah Im gonna wait it out till the bitter end before i buy it<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 12:00 PM

I'll probably get .mac (.Mac? .mac?), but I'll need to get a real job soon if I want to keep indulging in all the new apple stuff. <br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 12:47 PM

I was pissed when I faced that I'll have to pay for my free mac.com email, so I registered my own domain for just $15. I got free email with more functions than .mac and my own domain. The only problem was, that I had to notify all my contacts about my email change. It was kind of embarassing because just a year ago I proudly notified them that I've changed from hotmail to mac.com. Regarding the idisk space. I really miss ASP or PHP support, how can you live without active pages these days.<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 12:54 PM

How do you get a domain for $15? Who did you use?<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 01:14 PM

I bought my domain name for (2 years) $17 from http://www.godaddy.com and got 2GB of space 15GB transfer and unlimited email from $47/year from http://www.colossalhost.com/specials/ when they had their special.
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 01:30 PM

namezero.com<br>You get the domain within few days, you get webmail and POP with unlimited aliases. For example contact@yourdomain.com, yourname@yourdomain.com, etc. Also you get your domain name with unlimited subdomains. Such as something.yourdomain.com, whatever.yourdomain.com, etc. All the emails and subdomains can be forwarded to email addresses and URLs respectively.<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/11/02 02:34 PM

Both sound like pretty good deals. 2GB of space for $17 sounds fantastic, I wonder if that price is still valid, though. Well, I think all I really "need" right now is unlimited POP mail to take the place of my mac.com. maybe I'll check out that namezero thing. Since mail is all I'm really looking for, I guess anything under $100/year is a good deal, huh? <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/24/02 07:08 PM

did you mean 100 MB of disk space? i would pay $100 for 100GB but i don't think that will happen anytime soon.<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/25/02 11:26 AM

good catch LOL I didn't notice till just now yes, 100MB<br><br>

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/25/02 09:03 PM

Thanks for directing this thread away from all the whining about e-mail only unavailibility. I hate all this rehashing of crap. <br><br>-----------------<br>Monotonous Rant ends here<br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 08/26/02 02:49 AM

uh..damn...not sure if you are bitching or thanking him?<br><br>The original question in the first post was about converting to .Mac and whether you can convert it to just email, which you can't do right now, for free anyways.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Email-only on .Mac - 09/15/02 07:45 PM

I guess we scared you off, eh!!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>