ISP question

Posted by: Trog

ISP question - 12/04/03 09:59 AM

My sister is getting an eMac for Christmas and within about a month or so they will be moving into a new house. It would be nice if they could have some short-term internet solution until they move.<br><br>Got any suggestions for something cheap and temporary? I noticed from the front page that OWC is offering this deal and it looks like you can go month to month. Know of anything better for a short-term solution?<br><br>Also, I've never used dialup, what does it mean when it asks, "service type: V34, V90, V92"?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 10:57 AM

I hate to suggest this, but . . . how about one of those AOL come-ons that give you X number of hours or days for free? It's a hassle finding out how to unsubscribe, but I've done it in the past, so it's not impossible <br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.
Posted by: squareman

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 11:44 AM

v34 et al are just the modem standards and includes the compression schemes, the security methods and the error correction (like 802.11b or g for WiFi). Don't go with a provider that cannot give you at least v92 (the latest greatest 56k standard), the highest ISP standard will always be backward compatible with a crappy modem if you don't have the best. Besides, it would be extremely bizarre if an ISP didn't support v.92.<br><br>

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 12:07 PM

Thanks squareman.<br><br>Yeah, yoyo, I had thought about that. Maybe I'll check it out. On the other hand, for $9.95 she could have a month of that OWC internet without having to deal with AOL. I just know that I wouldn't want to be put on their lists, you know? <br><br>Anyway, its still a good idea for free.<br><br>

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 05:23 PM

So, what if they only offer V90? What difference would it make? Is that an indication that the service might be crappy, or what?<br><br>I'm looking for dial-up numbers in the area my sister lives and they are all V90.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 10:28 PM

Honestly, I haven't been on dial-up since V.90 was the new thing. I do believe it's less than a year old, so I guess it's not unreasonable that not all services are updated. My guess is that it has better packet error protection so you don't drop as many chunks of data.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: ISP question - 12/04/03 10:31 PM

I don't know of any ISP who offers v.92. Even though that chip set is built in to all Apple computers these days, like many things Apple, it's going to take another 18 months before you can obtain v.92 service. Which by the way is a modem protocol that allows you to answer your home phone line while maintaining your dial-up connection.<br><br>For all the hassle, AOL would at least give you, what is it now, 1000 hours of free dial-up. Naaahhhh!<br><br>Yeah, I'd go with one of those 9.95'ers as a temp thing. But ferget v.92. I will say this though I would at least get one of those dial-ups that can supercharge your dial-up connection like earthlinks. <br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by G4Dualie on 12/05/03 01:33 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: ISP question - 12/05/03 09:52 AM

Thanks guys.<br><br>