Ads overlapping posts redux.

Posted by: steveg

Ads overlapping posts redux. - 12/27/10 09:27 AM

Oh gee. I guess I should apologize, too. This thread IS now officially a fustercluck. Not because of it's content, but because the latest posts are now half hidden by the banners on the right-hand margin. In fact, all that can be seen is the LEFT half of those posts, which proves my original point! shocked

Edit by Reboot - This post was moved from here, where the problem shows.
Posted by: NCBird

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 02:36 PM

All the threads and posts in all forums have been covered by the banners for ever and it has become a natural thingy it's been going on so long blush ...I have to click on reply tp read all of the posts or scroll down till I get past the banners. Perhaps I may have insulted someone during the 8 years when Bush was in office...is that paranoia ...fer sure...so now its happening to you...I have switched into conspiracy mode. No one ever mentioned the problem so I just went along with it. Is that insane ? Wait don't answer that grin I just feel relieved that it's no longer just me....pretty selfish on my part kinda sorta, eh !! laugh
but I am not alone wink
Posted by: Lea

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 03:47 PM

Wow, y'all. I'm familiar with that banner / ad cover thingie, but I'm totally not seeing it. Only on rare occasion and it's been a long time.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe a mention in the site feedback room?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 03:50 PM

You must have a killer ad-blocker then.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 04:12 PM

Standard Safari ~ Block PopUp Windows and then Security, Accept Cookies Only From Sites I Visit: Block cookies from third parties and advertisers. Plus I nuke all my cookies once a month.

Yer talkin' to the least intertubes savvy MacBabe on the planet, so maybe I'm just lucky? I have not a clue. Weird, huh?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea
Maybe a mention in the site feedback room?

Done been covered a couple of times.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/27/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

Wow, y'all. I'm familiar with that banner / ad cover thingie, but I'm totally not seeing it. Only on rare occasion and it's been a long time.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe a mention in the site feedback room?
They're probably using old fart threaded mode.

We used to have the problem with large pics, they fixed that, but it still happens with long urls or run on sentences, or if one is viewing it in threaded mode, when the thread gets long the ads overlap.

Things seem to have settled, maybe it's time we bring it up again.

Threadapult!!!!

Neil,

Here's the original thread where the problem appears, switch to threaded mode to see it.

Also the reply window can be dragged too big and it will overlap the ads.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 07:55 AM

Yeah, this has been a problem for me in the private message section for a long while.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 08:11 AM

If it can't be fixed maybe they can make it so the posts overlap the ads??? hehe
Posted by: neil

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 09:49 AM

Guys,

Don't hit me with a regular stream of "oh great" or "how's this going" as I don't have the time, but I've just found a clue on this ... it may have something to do with Clark's broken avatar.

I've sent a note to the developer to investigate.

Neil

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: neil
Guys,

Don't hit me with a regular stream of "oh great" or "how's this going" as I don't have the time, but I've just found a clue on this ... it may have something to do with Clark's broken avatar.

Neil
I removed Clark's broken avatar and things still overlap, so that's not the problem. His avatar was broken because Apple changed their MobileMe scheme BTW.
Posted by: neil

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 10:07 AM

Do you know what the old scheme vs. the new one is for MobileMe? I may be able to do a global search and replace in the db to fix these.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 10:16 AM

There's four more html validation errors with the threaded view (59) than there are in the flat view (55) so the culprit may be among them. I'm guessing it's some apostrophe or parentheses or similar bug in the template someplace where the html output is being defined. And all those html validation can't be too good either.

W3C Validator. Copy and paste your page URL in the textbox and hit check.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 10:39 AM

Guys,

Neil

Aye aye.

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 10:45 AM

Do you know what the old scheme vs. the new one is for MobileMe? I may be able to do a global search and replace in the db to fix these.
I don't think that will be possible. They changed it from being able to use http://homepage.mac.com/user-name/.Pictures/your-image to http://homepage.mac.com/user-name/Sites/folder-name-of-yourchoice/your-image or http://idisk.mac.com/user-name/Public/your-image

So you can't use your iDisk/Pictures folder anymore, you must either use your iDisk/Public folder, or make a folder in your iDisk/Sites folder, then move your images to either Public or the folder you made, and link from it. There is no one set url anymore, it all depends on what you name the folder or where you put the images.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/28/10 11:15 AM

http://web.me.com/username/Pictures/filename also works for the Pictures folder within the Web > Sites folder (iDisk > Web > Sites > Pictures)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 06:08 AM

I wish I could be of some help, but I've never come across this issue using Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Flock, or any other browser - with or without adblockers turned on.

I suspect that this problem is not with the server or site, but with the individual browser (maybe the encoding settings?). If it were the site code, wouldn't it appear for everyone all the time?
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 07:13 AM

It appears exactly as described on Safari, Firefox and Opera on my Mac and only in threaded view, so it's most likely not a browser issue. And I only have an adblocker on FF, so shouldn't be that either.

OTOH, I've only managed to reproduce the issue with the mentioned thread, others show just fine in the threaded view. Might have something to do with the reply depth, actually and the title not fitting properly in its field anymore:

I'd also look into making the HTML output as valid as possible, as invalid HTML can cause all sorts of funkiness. 55 to 59 validation errors is actually pretty bad. Then again, most probably go away by fixing some syntax error at the beginning part of the template.

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 07:38 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I wish I could be of some help, but I've never come across this issue using Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Flock, or any other browser - with or without adblockers turned on.

I suspect that this problem is not with the server or site, but with the individual browser (maybe the encoding settings?). If it were the site code, wouldn't it appear for everyone all the time?
It only does it with long threads or if there is a long url in a post.

Look at this thread, make sure it's in threaded view, not flat.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 07:14 PM

Yeah, now I see it. My bad. I never view the forums in Threaded mode, which is why I've never seen the problem.

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 07:21 PM

I already mentioned this in the PM but it may help Neil with the problem.
Run on sentences act weird too, like this.

cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/12/29/haiti.american.released/index.htmlhpt=T1/com/2010/WORLD/americas/12/29/haiti.american.released/index.html?hpt=T1
Posted by: carp

Re: Voter Misinformation - 12/29/10 08:04 PM

It is just not here in this forum.

I seen this happen on other Web Sites as well. Albeit rare, but still happens elsewhere.