Tapatalk?

Posted by: trey

Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 06:21 AM

I recently bought Tapatalk after finding out that another forum that I frequent is set up to use it. It's really cool, and makes browsing the forum on my iPhone WAY easier. So I was wondering... on the app. developer's page, it says that it's free for admins of certain boards to set up Tapatalk support for their forms. Would that be possible here?

This forum in particular is pretty aggrivating to navigate on an iPhone. I mean, if it's free, and easy enough to do, why not!
Posted by: carp

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 01:06 PM

Great Idea Trey.

I too when at the Apple Store posted to the forum off an iPhone - what a pain in the buttt, that was. Still doable .

Question is;
Since it seems like the forum has worked out many bugs they had before - does Neil really want to throw another Monkey in the jungle, so to speak ? ?
Posted by: neil

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 01:37 PM

Except that it doesn't support all forms of forum software (including ours), and it appears that it needs server support at a cost of $1000 or more.

I'll reach out to them however as we may want to do something liek this at some point if we don't do a specific iPhone skin ourselves.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 01:44 PM

" . . . if we don't do a specific iPhone skin ourselves."

Whoa! I totally vote you do the skin. OK, so obviously I have no idea how much work that might entail, but still . . . cool

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 01:48 PM

it's a ton of work.
Posted by: carp

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/18/10 01:57 PM

Thanks Neil.

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/19/10 07:09 AM

Ah, so I guess when they say "free," they mean $1000.00. That's pretty much how I define free too. :tongue:
Posted by: Papa

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/19/10 07:40 AM

They are raking in some serious cash. They say they have 11,000 forums registered and are adding 1,200 per month.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Tapatalk? - 12/20/10 07:34 AM

There's also forums app
Posted by: zwei

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/24/11 02:24 PM

Just bought Tapatalk today… Forums definitely need tweaking for iOS

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/24/11 02:49 PM

I looked at it at one point -- was non-trivial I believe.

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/26/11 07:24 AM

I just realized that in my reply to Neil, instead of quoting him, I posted a video of a freaking ladybug playing with sprinkles. Silly clipboard!

That should have read:

Originally Posted By: trey
Quote:
Except that it doesn't support all forms of forum software (including ours), and it appears that it needs server support at a cost of $1000 or more.

Ah, so I guess when they say "free," they mean $1000.00. That's pretty much how I define free too. :tongue:
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/26/11 07:35 AM

Thanks for the ladybug video... my wife liked it.

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/26/11 07:46 AM

LOL trey

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/30/11 09:13 AM

My only complaint with Tapatalk is that not enough forums that I care about are on it. I basically bought it to read the forums at apug.org. But it's worth it for that. smile

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/30/11 09:16 AM

And that's why they shouldn't be charging forums to use it.

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/30/11 09:22 AM

The way I read it was that it was a free plugin for compatible forums. I'm guessing the charge you are talking about comes from server support for non-compatible forums like this one? (ubb.threads)

Re: Tapatalk? - 03/30/11 09:23 AM

I don't recall the details -- only that I was not interested in paying them to support their product.