Too many subsections?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 09:15 AM

So, in order to keep people from complaining in other people's threads, I'm going to start a new one here where you can let Neil know exactly how you feel about the different sections here.

Too many? Not enough? what exactly is your thoughts?

And please, don't just say TOO many and that be it. Explain your reasoning.

As for me, yeah, I agree. Too many subsections that could easily be narrowed down to a few. Our active member list doesn't appear to be big enough to support such division.

I would do this:
Hardware
Software
Online/Development
Mobile Devices hardware and software(iPod/iPad/iPhone/other devices)
General
Soapbox

I would move the Modding down below next to the NOW software (which gets very little traffic)
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 09:22 AM

Those are great suggestions, John. That would make things much simpler and less confusing to try to navigate and find the info/help one might want. AppleWorld might stay, though.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 09:26 AM

Yeah, and those aren't in order either. Just threw it up there.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 09:42 AM

Did this thread break the servers? laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:13 AM

John, I've mentioned over and over in many threads that we have discussed with Neil about changing the number of forums but it wasn't good enough for some. Then those complaining just complain more, that is has been 2 years and it should have been taken care of already.

They obviously don't follow MacTech or MacNews because they don't have a clue as to how busy Neil has been the last 2 years with all of his acquisitions and trying to build AppleCentral and its web presence, and don't understand why the wants of only a few people in the forums are not a high priority right now.

He's hosting a Conference for a few hundred people in a week or so that have shelled out good money to attend, making sure the arrangements for those that are coming from all over the country are in place.

Some here have kind of a self-important attitude IMO. They don't get the scope of his whole operation, it's much more than this chat room.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:28 AM

I know how busy Neil is, but I think that posting in other people's threads complaining about it is pointless.

Rather, and I'll put it out there, I'm going to delete the posts and send the person a PM explaining the correct way of "complaining" about something, such as posting it here.

If Neil does not want to change anything and posts it here for all to see, then that should end any and all complaints.
Posted by: neil

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:34 AM

Guys: I cannot even look at this at all for a couple of weeks.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:37 AM

It's OK, Neil. Just some suggestions floating here. I hope the conference is a smashing success.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:43 AM

Sorry Neil, guess I should have put that a response may be awhile due to your extremely busy schedule.

My post wasn't meant to try to spur you into any action, but more of a "post it here, not in other threads" type of post.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
If Neil does not want to change anything and posts it here for all to see, then that should end any and all complaints.
Want to bet? He mentioned here how busy he is and his basic roadmap but it seems to have been forgotten by some.

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 10:55 AM

I don't think there is any argument about how busy Neil is or that he has plans for here.

But that doesn't mean that people can't post their input here about some things.

Now, whether it gets changed or not, that's up to Neil. But it is something to look into whenever he gets a chance.

(Sorry Neil, I know you get emails every time someone posts in here)

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 11:06 AM

I don't think there is any argument about how busy Neil is or that he has plans for here.
Yes there is. Sarge said in the link that I posted above;

"Enough of the "It's been 2 years get over it" comments too. If people are still complaining about things after 2 years... and it looks like people who don't normally complain are starting to pile on... then things are broken and need fixing. If the higher ups can't see that, then frankly they have no business being in this business
Posted by: neil

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 11:11 AM

Guys,

I can tell you that this type of approach with me will not work well at all. I do not respond to comments that are not constructive -- I ignore them, so you lose mindshare and your chance to state a case.

I need to focus right now on MacTech Conference next week. It would be in everyone's best interest to back off this right now, and I'll look at it in a couple of weeks when I come up for air.

In the end, this is MacTech's decision -- that's not going to change.

Neil
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Yes there is. Sarge said in the link that I posted above;

"Enough of the "It's been 2 years get over it" comments too. If people are still complaining about things after 2 years... and it looks like people who don't normally complain are starting to pile on... then things are broken and need fixing. If the higher ups can't see that, then frankly they have no business being in this business

Actually, that comment was directed squarely at you.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Want to bet? He mentioned here how busy he is and his basic roadmap but it seems to have been forgotten by some.

Oh look, a post in a forum subsection that nobody visits. Gee, I wonder why people weren't aware?

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 01:47 PM

It originally was pinned at the top of every forum and left there for a while, the original was left here.

And you do realize that every post here Neil gets an email for so he has to take time out and check it out. If you have anymore to take up with me on this matter, PM or post it in the Lounge, don't waste his time please. While you're at it read his last two posts in this thread.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 07:43 PM

Having been a lurker through MC, through MW, through MM, and now MT-AC, I have a say in this, gosh darn it.

This is Neil's House.
Have respect.
He can run it however the heck he wants.
There are plenty of alternatives.

Neil, try to have fun next week, I have a feeling you're gonna need to.
smile
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/25/10 08:05 PM

Neil, sorry for this long thread that keeps sending you emails. I feel responsible because I tried to initiate the conversation about how the modertors are acting. Even this thread title shows I have explained myself poorly if the modertors think that subsections ae the problem. It's not, it's overactive moderators moving threads around until it seems a bit of a bad joke. Bill Atkinson thread which was about an iPad app gets moved to who know where. Yoys thread in the lounge about an NPR show on religion gets moved to the soapbox because it has religion in the title.

What they really need to do to keep the forum working, active, drawing new members is to back off.

Sorry again about going about this the wrong way right before you head off to the convention. If it was on the east coast I would go. I went to the first ten Boston MacWorlds when computer conventions were fun. Hope yours recaptures that wild west feel.

If one of your speakers falls thorugh with two days notice I can do 20 or 50 minutes on "Computers and Biotechnology, How to outdo Moores' Law when the data are overwhelming Moore".

Paul
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paultmorrisonptmbc
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/26/10 05:42 PM

Wow! That was some smoooooth ass-kissing there, Poly. I'm impressed.

Didn't know you had a humble bone in that body.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/26/10 05:51 PM

I meant every word which is always my intent when I post.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Too many subsections? - 10/26/10 07:49 PM

Even this thread title shows I have explained myself poorly if the modertors think that subsections ae the problem.

Don't be so vain...too many subsections is a different issue altogether.This thread isn't wasn't about moving threads.