Just made a new user, can't log into the forums.

Posted by: Jim_

Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 05:36 PM

I just made a new user, but I can't log into the forums. I can log in to MacTech and MacNews, but not the forums with the new user.

User name was 10-10-10
Posted by: neil

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 05:57 PM

Try it now

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 05:58 PM

I still can't log in here with it but you can with your new user.

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 06:55 PM

Another new user won't work, and the one I did earlier doesn't either. poly made a new user though and he was able to log into the forums with it.
Posted by: 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I still can't log in here with it but you can with your new user.

Get used to disappointment,

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

Just curious -- how is this helpful? How effective is this as a motivational tool?

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/10/10 09:15 PM

Another new user won't work, and the one I did earlier doesn't either. poly made a new user though and he was able to log into the forums with it.

Any idea what the differences are? That's going to be the key to figuring this out.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: neil
Originally Posted By: 10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

Just curious -- how is this helpful? How effective is this as a motivational tool?

1) Line out of "Prince's Bride".
2) A joke.
3) I'm Reboot's motivational instructor now? I think I need to kill myself.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 04:05 AM

Any idea what the differences are? That's going to be the key to figuring this out.

I did it as straight line as is possible.
1) Logged out as polymerase.
2) clicked register.
3) 10-10 name
4) password
5) used a second email address
6) added 7+2
I seemed to be registered at that point to MacTech.
I then clicked on Forums and needed to log in and that was that.

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 07:00 AM

Don't know. I even used a remote computer so that my cookies etc would not possibly interfere. I'll try from my machine here at home today when I get a chance.

I've run out of email addresses, I have to set up another first. grin

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 02:08 PM

I tried another new user, mactech1, can't log on at the forums with it.

I did a password reset, still can't log in.

I have also noticed that when doing the password reset I have to wait a minute or two or it doesn't do the one time log in, it just takes you to the log in page to enter your username and password, which doesn't work as the password has been reset. If I go back to the email and click the one time link again it does do the one time log in then.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 04:00 PM

Since there's really no reason to have a password for the main site (you can comment on the articles here in the forums anyway), I gave up long ago on having a username for MacTech/MacNews

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 04:01 PM

actually ... not true.

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 04:02 PM

Which part?

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 06:29 PM

Ok ... stop testing for now please.

We have another idea as to what is happening. You see, the issue here is that I'm not able to reproduce. Every time I try, it works seamlessly.

Reboot: In an *email*, please send me a list of all the email addresses you've registered under so that I can *delete* those users in the MacTech/MacNews drupal db. Do NOT send me any account that you want to keep (e.g., the one you use here mostly for the forums).
Thanks!

Neil

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Which part?

This one...

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Since there's really no reason to have a password for the main site

There are features that only logged in users can get to, and more to come once we have this figured out and get time to develop them. For example, one of my favorite features is the http://www.macnews.com/firehose

It works on an anonymous user, BUT if you are logged in, it screens back all the items you've seen earlier and it makes it super easy to stay on top of the news in the community.
Thanks!

Neil

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 10:39 PM

I see. Then I guess it would be nice to be able to log in to both with my regular UN/PW

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/11/10 11:08 PM

right.
Posted by: sockit2me

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 10/12/10 08:18 AM

I'm now able to login to both MacTech and here with MacBozo and my test sock.

grin
Posted by: chamomile test

Re: Just made a new user, can't log into the forums. - 11/07/10 11:42 AM

Hello. I attempted to register today. 11/7/2010

Used the shorter registration form located at http://www.macnews.com/register. With that registration, I could log into the mactech.com and macnews.com sites, but not the forums.

I landed at that particular registration form by following the "log in" link at the top of the forums and then following the link in the sentence "Enter your Username and Password to log in. If you have not yet registered, you can register here."

After failing to log into the forums and getting the unknown username/password message, I investigated the usual suspects - logged out of mac sites, waited a few minutes to allow for info to replicate across servers, tried using my email address instead of username, cleared cookies (ok, used a virgin browser, same thing), and reset password. No Joy.

Wrote an email to forums@applecentral.com detailing what specific steps I had taken in an attempt to provide them some more troubleshooting info and leads on how to recreate the problem and saved it as a draft.

Before sending the email, I decided to use the other form (http://www.mactech.com/register) that results from following the "Register User" link in the navigation menu at the top of the forum page and try a different username/email.

Using that form was successful and now I'm stuck with " test' in my username and I haz a sad. wink

I suspect, Neil, that you can recreate the problem by using the form at http://www.macnews.com/register. Although that is, of course, only a guess based on my limited information.

If it's possible to get the username without " test" and use my gmail address instead of this one, that would be great, otherwise I'll keep this one and y'all can just use me as a crash test dummy or something. smile

I hope someone has gifted Neil a hatrack or something, he sure seems to wear a lot of different hats!

Edited to add: was able to change my email address to my preferred address in the "My Stuff" control panel. (sorry vBulletin user here still learning UBB terminology) noticed that I could change my displayed user handle there, but wasn't sure what sort of problems that might cause so I did not take advantage of that option.