iCab and the Cafe

Posted by: Anonymous

iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 04:23 PM

the Cafe does not like iCab (or vice versa) iCab renders the Cafe in a very ugly minimalist style... can anything be done to remedy that? thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 05:58 PM

oops it appears my old iCab is out of date and I haven't bothered to install the new one ... seems Opera has finally convinced me that iCab is as clunky as it looks. Maybe I better update it and hack it again<br> Try resetting iCab to inform the site that it is IE or Netscape? amybe that will help.<br>Oh and sorry about my manner of speech it sounds offensive to some but it isn't it really, try laughing instead .<br><br>..

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 06:21 PM

look, please don't insult iCab, at least they have been developing it for a long time now... unlike that damned Opera, they TOTALLY botched their first attempt, some years back, at making a Mac version... and Opera crashes on me regularly, iCab never did/does that... sure iCab is slower, i will grant you that, but it works reliably though its features are not fully implemented... and yes i tried changing iCab's identity previous to starting this thread<br><br>

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 06:49 PM

I agree that iCab is great in many aspects and most browsers have some kind of fault so I am not trying to rubbish iCab or state a browser preference I use them all here you just reminded me that I had not updated iCab for a while is all...<br><br>as I also said try laughing first... then you will see the funny side of what I say and thus will not need to flame me... I don't speak American you know and thus I make misunderstandings as often as most make coffee<br><br>..

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 06:52 PM

i most certainly did not flame you, had i done so there would've been a liberal use of expletives involved heh heh<br><br>

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 06:57 PM

yes and more than likely I would have all the skin seared off me to boot :)<br>but seriously ... browser wars are fun.. smile.<br><br>..oh and if you want to change tha blue rect behind the throbber in iCab... make it transparent... to show your new throbber better... > >rather than replacing the whole Ppob#128, you can also just replace the<br>> >9999CCCCFFFF with DDDDDDDDDDDD and it makes it transparent. =)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TreeBeard on 05/26/01 10:03 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 07:29 PM

hmmm iCab 2.5 won't allow me in... reckons I haven't got cookies? mmm <br>Maybe I better quit Nestcape first<br><br>..

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 05/26/01 07:36 PM

quitting Netscape should have nada to do with it... i have three browsers up at all times (iCab, Opera, IE 5, even sometimes the dreaded Netscape heh heh) try trashing your old Cookie file in the iCab folder in the Preferences folder<br><br>all sorts of tricks for iCab (including that throbber trick) at ResExcellence<br><br>http://www.resexcellence.com<br><br>also, there are any number of toolbar icon replacements, etc., at the iCab site<br> http://www.icab.de/download2.html<br><br>

yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 08:02 PM

hey iCab won't use the preferences I had set for viewing colours...and yuck all black can't read the texts in my posted messages or settings??? yuk!<br>can only read the edit windows??<br>re-setting prefs does not help<br>oh ,.. I am a major contributor to ResEx since Apr/May 99<br><br>..

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 08:04 PM

only since '99?? tsk tsk! btw, trash the whole iCab folder in the Pref's folder and start fresh<br><br>

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 08:15 PM

hey I only first picked up a computer in the latter half of 97... I thought I was doing OK to be the world first at ResEx by mid 99<br>thanks for the prefs tip.<br><br>..

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 08:21 PM

btw, as you more than likely know, bookmarks (or favorites, or hotlist, or whatever) are just HTML so that is why i just suggested you trash the whole iCab folder in the Pref's folder... your bookmarks in your other browser(s) are likely more up to date anyway and can be imported into iCab or you can just make a copy of that file (from whatever browser) and rename the file to suit iCab's protocol (i.e, Hotlist.html) of course, you'll have to tidy them up a bit in iCab, edit them a bit<br><br>

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 08:32 PM

hmmm clunky is still the word tha comes to mind<br>but I will play for a while<br>and see if I can't improve things <br>I am an self opinionated imbecile so bear with me<br><br>..

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 09:15 PM

can't hurt to boost the RAM allocation a bit, and give your plugins more dedicated memory in iCab preferences setting (reserve memory for plugins... i set mine at 3MB)<br><br>

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 09:33 PM

thanks yes the best aspect of iCab is it's light footprint<br><br>..

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/26/01 09:45 PM

yes, small feet has the iCabbie... thus it can't hurt too much to boost its RAM alloc a bit...<br><br>btw, wasn't Treebeard an Ent? thought just occurred to me...<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: yeah I do know that - 05/27/01 01:55 PM

oh you two... I'm still stuck with IE 5.0 on Mac OS 9. If I were in 10, I'd happily use Omniweb, sorry... but IE and Omniweb are the only two browsers out there that are fully featured enough to get around 90% of the web (or at least the 90% that's worth reading)..... (is this post flame bait?)<br><br>Used to be at that other Mac website... like it here now.

Re: iCab and the Cafe - 06/02/01 08:05 AM

iCab doesn't support CSS 2, which is what this board uses... frankly, I'm dismayed that full CSS support isn't in iCab yet, otherwise I might use it more frequently. I also love IE's Scrapbook feature... no more printing out receipts or jotting down order numbers on a piece of paper.<br><br>

Re: yeah I do know that - 06/02/01 09:45 AM

Well I mainly spend my "browser time" on the internet in forums or news pages or searching for info and updates. I don't use my browser for anything that might need an order form nor a reciept. I still prefer to deal with a bank teller and have scissored any credit card that ever came my way. There is nil likelyhood that I will ever need streaming video or streaming anything much as I will be dead before they get around to giving me a connection fast enough.<br><br>Without any shadow of a doubt, proven everywhere I have been, there is no better browser for MY use in ALL forums (not just some..) and that browser is Netscape 4+. I have no need for AIM and Real(shyte)Player to be the main integration of my browser so I will likely never install Netscape 6+.<br><br>I will likely NEVER buy anything over the net.<br><br>Unless I can start selling over the net. Maybe then I may do more business on the net.<br><br>Yes I am an ignoramus. <br><br>But I am happy. Netscape allows me to change things a lot easier. Yes IE 5 is the best at handling things like CSS.. I use IE when I need it (it works really well in this forum and acts like a sick dog in others..) <br>IE 5 is too stcict in its adherence to standards which I have no use for let alone want to have forced upon me.<br>IE renders pages a little faster (great) and handles all the behind the scenes stuff in a better integrated fashion but ... I don't need that so much as others may.. I find it a burden more than a help.<br>No Netscape is not compliant to the newer standards but then how many webpages are built to these new standards?<br>In another thread somewhere on this forum (not going looking for it) I saw where the writer was berating the amount of crap websites built by inexperienced designers.... yes in time the whole web will become more standardized and more efficient but the fact remains that not only will that be some time coming ... but that there will now always be a large number of crap pages on the web unless someone bothers to update them or remove them... all of which will happen at the pace decreed by the site owners and no one else.<br>Everyone has a different idea of which 90% of the web is the 90% of the web worth visiting.<br><br>I use iCab when I want to play with it (I still find it clunky but that may be the sites as much as the browser?)<br> I use Opera for similar reasons... to my mind Opera has a lot going for it as long as they give it some java support etc and keep it a nice clean fast downoload browser... as though it does not recognise files and process them ... I have never had a corrupted file from it. They all unstuff properly when I manually do it. I have never seen Opera blow its mind and lose itself like I have seen IE do getting the whole system screwed in the process..Requiring extensive system anlysis and often a complete reinstall of IE and or system components..<br>Whereas, Netscape sometimes gets corrupted and reinstall the registry fixes it every time.<br><br>In fact I am so used to Netscape that I don't miss any of the so called missing things that IE users may point to. I do know that whenever I use IE I immediately miss the features/aspects that I know and love which are available in Netscape but are NOT in IE. Then again I am one of those rarities still married to my first wife.<br><br>Mind you I DONT use and have hacked out 3/4 of Communicators features so it is no wonder I find IE superfluous.<br><br>So you see each of us has different uses/needs for browser capabilities. Some of us are resistant to change. Most of us are using old outdated equipment. Many are using old antiquated browser versions ...MOST of the pages are not necessarily compliant with version 5 browsers.... the consumer has a long way to go to even be compliant with the net let alone the "new microsoft world order".<br><br>IMHO from one whom has been and played with being at the forefont of the tech race but in reality lives and breathes, happily ignorant in the backwoods.<br><br>..
Posted by: johnengler

Re: yeah I do know that - 06/02/01 08:14 PM

"IMHO from one whom has been and played with being at the forefont of the tech race but in reality lives and breathes, happily ignorant in the backwoods."<br><br>I hear you and know exactly what you mean.... I'm probably exactly the same, now that I'm not working in the Mac web anymore....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2