Were the forums off line?

Posted by: yoyo52

Were the forums off line? - 08/11/10 09:10 PM

I'm on my G5 now, but earlier, from my MBP, I couldn't get on the forums at all. I got that notice that said the forums had been moved and that I should clear my cache to get to the new forums.applecentral.com site. Just in case, I cleared the cache, but even though I went to the forum.applecentral.com site, I kept getting the same message.
Posted by: carp

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/11/10 09:30 PM

Interesting - I got the same, however the same with face-book as well, plus I tried FF too. So I called RR help desk, we did this.

1 - RR sent a trace the line thingy
2 - I empty Safari cache
3 - I reset Safari
4 - Reboot modem
5 - Reboot Airport

Works again laugh

Normally I would try all that before calling RR. This time the problem was also face-book and not just the forum. So I made the call
Posted by: carp

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 02:16 AM

Forum went down again - So yes this means it is AppleCentral that has the problem, every where else does work.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 04:34 AM

Perhaps it wasn't necessarily a problem, but more of a maintenance update?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 04:47 AM

Happened here too.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 06:57 AM

Lost it for about an hour this morning. Just came back up for me. Got the same "Forums Moved" page even though I've been using the correct URL since the original move.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 08:01 AM

Just now I couldn't get to http://forums.applecentral.com/ through my bookmark to the forums, or even by going through MacTech, I'd get the moved page too. I had to go back in my history directly to this thread to get to the forums.

Now http://forums.applecentral.com/ works.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 08:06 AM

Yeah. It was out again for a few minutes.
Posted by: neil

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 09:34 AM

So, here's the deal everyone. I've been out of town a bunch, and while I was gone at one point, the DNS servers at GoDaddy took a big dump for a couple of days. It affected everything from web to mail and more. This is now the 2nd time we've had issues with GoDaddy's DNS servers, and yesterday, we moved all the DNS for the main domains to Zone Edit -- which has proven to be nicely reliable.

It appears, however, that GoDaddy wanted to do one last goodbye in this transaction, and didn't handle the DNS changeover as nicely as it should have. This resulted in DNS getting served up wrong for a period of time.

There's nothing we could have done differently -- it's unfortunately, just the way they do their DNS stuff. It should shake itself through, but you may be able to expedite it by getting your DNS cache to clear.

Hope that helps,
Neil
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 09:50 AM

Go Daddy, go!

Thanks for the news.
Posted by: neil

Re: Were the forums off line? - 08/12/10 10:03 AM

To make matters worse, we just found a problem that has been laying dormant forever and fixed that as well. That was only part of the issue however -- the GoDaddy one is the main issue.

Should resolve itself as Internet providers clear their caches (several of them are not abiding by the rules of DNS and this is making things take longer).