This place is almost unusable...

Posted by: NucleusG4

This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 06:37 PM

I'm serious.
Something needs to be done. Sorry, don't want to upset anyone.

I can't post a post...then post one after it. I get the 0second BS.

I can't wait aaaallll day for pages to load.

I can't use it on my iPhone.

I can't send a PM w/o it telling me that I have a PM.

I can't make a decent post w/o crap in the wayyyy...

Helloooooo....

We don't get new users/registrations... and we are about to start losing old users...
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 07:23 PM

Interesting when I visit the site in Chrome on Windows it exhibits none of those issues as when I visit it on a Mac. smile
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 07:29 PM

Yeah...shame it's a Mac site, huh?
Posted by: polymerase

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I'm serious.
Something needs to be done. Sorry, don't want to upset anyone.
Your Jack Nichelson and we can handle the truth.

Could it be because the forum has been sliced and diced to 76 different sub forums? The slow downs I see are all from trying to switch from one forum to another.

I don't want to upset anyone either but the slicing and dicing has killed a potentially OK forum. You have five moderators switching threads to the "right" forum and you are killing it all. Do these moderators actually have a life outside applecentral land?

KISS is something one should always start with and branch out to complexity. You f up. Instead of someone visiting and seeing a multi-forum vibrant forum you diluted it to dishwater.

Question: when did you acquire a new forum poster who has posted more than twice? Please do not count jerry who only speaks "douchebag".
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 08:18 PM

Yeah, on Chrome on Windows it's fine. thats what I'm using.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 09:15 PM

I do most of my email reading, Huff Post, CNN, MSNBC, weather, TCM, IMdb, Google, TV Guide, ALL on my iPhone. Every now and then I go sit at my iMac and try and catch up on the Forums.

Reading the forums on the iPhone is impossible!! I thought I'd just read the Lounge stuff each day, but it's too slow to bother.

I have finally been weened from my passionate attachment to the forums though. I get more yard work and reading done now wink.

Posted by: neil

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 10:30 PM

Guys,

Are you seriously seeing some significant difference that's causing all these comments? I'm not seeing it, and not sure what to do about it as a result.

Neil
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 10:44 PM

I'm not having any of the problems they're talking about on my iPod. or Chrome on Windows.
Posted by: carp

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 11:05 PM

Neil

I get the same things as David, not as frequent. Maybe 3 times a week.
Posted by: neil

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 06/30/10 11:20 PM

Ok. I'll look at more options.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 03:42 AM

The only things I have noticed are:
A post may show as new to me, even though I was the one who posted it.
The site is a bit slow.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
[quote=NucleusG4]
Could it be because the forum has been sliced and diced to 76 different sub forums? The slow downs I see are all from trying to switch from one forum to another.

I don't want to upset anyone either but the slicing and dicing has killed a potentially OK forum. You have five moderators switching threads to the "right" forum and you are killing it all. Do these moderators actually have a life outside applecentral land?

Question: when did you acquire a new forum poster who has posted more than twice? Please do not count jerry who only speaks "douchebag".

I guess you haven't ever been to ARS Technica? http://arstechnica.com/civis/ It's Ars' forum...both Mac & PC are discussed there. It has 23 subforums/subfora, however you want to call it. The site moves fast and they have a LOT more moderators. Yet...it seems to be a busy site!

Yeah, I think we should roll the Mod Hacks/NOW forums sections into others since they are not being used.

Yes, we do have a life outside of here. There are 4 of us, and really, not all of us are active.

And do you always treat new people like that?

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

And do you always treat new people like that?

A new user who posts comments that are only personal attacks on a fellow forum member? How would you like to treat him?

The entirety of a post:
Quote:
I have never saw such a ill informed bigot who hates the US as you. Why don't you go to Afghanistan and live there for a while and see how you like life there.You would not survive 1 day without bringing your sorry pathetic body back to your merry old england.

The entirety of a post:
Quote:
In plain words keymaker you are a smuck

more
Quote:
You are right. I am sick and tired of keymaker and his bigotry against the USA.He is a narrow minded man.J

I don't know where he learned how to speak douchebag but he speaks it 100% of the time. Needs a little more training though. He misspelled schmuck.

If I was moderator I would do my job and tell him he needs to add some content to his posts if all he is going to do is hurl slurs at a forum member. The target of the ranting is likely amused at these things but they break up perfectly good threads.
Posted by: Lea

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 06:27 AM

jerry's opinion of keymaker isn't any different from a lot of other peeps. We all have our own ways of expressing ourselves. You for instance. Condescending and cruel.

You cherry picked his posts. He's posted many more, in the Box, the Lounge and in the different Mac Forums. In fact, his first post was over in one of the Help forums.

Honestly, the tone of everything you've posted since your return from "I'm outta here" drama-rama has just been . . . gosh. Now that I think about it. Typical.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 06:33 AM

I'm not having any significant problems, either, Neil. It seems to be a case of mileage varies.

I haven't tried anything on my iPhone, though.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 06:58 AM

And maybe the other peeps should learn how to not post this kind of 100% douchebag too. John asked me why I was so mean and I told him. When I am condescending and cruel at least I have a point to make. Speaking in pure douchebag is just that, acting like a douchebag.

And I did not cherry pick. I selected his last posts and they were complete. I did not cut out any actual content. If you want to cheerlead this type of posting you're acting like a douchbag too.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
And maybe the other peeps should learn how to not post this kind of 100% douchebag too. John asked me why I was so mean and I told him. When I am condescending and cruel at least I have a point to make. Speaking in pure douchebag is just that, acting like a douchebag.

And I did not cherry pick. I selected his last posts and they were complete. I did not cut out any actual content. If you want to cheerlead this type of posting you're acting like a douchbag too.

Real classy, Paul. But, hey, to you I'm just another peon at the base of the pedestal you keep yourself on.

At least I'm in good company. Lonely up there?

O.D.G.
Posted by: Nana

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: neil
Guys,

Are you seriously seeing some significant difference that's causing all these comments? I'm not seeing it, and not sure what to do about it as a result.

Neil

Could it be an OS issue? As NucleusG4 posted I am getting the exact same issue like the pics he posted.

I am using Tiger the last version & the latest version of Firefox on a Mac & those ad blockages started appearing like that a few days ago. mad

Makes it very difficult to read the forums & to post. mad
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:22 AM

I have not had the visual problems in 10.5 just only the slowness. However, the slowness has improved some but still seems to be sluggish compared to other sites.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:23 AM

Nana, it's not an OS issue. I have had that problem with the ads overlapping for awhile now. I forgot what Neil said was the problem, but it's not something they can address apparently.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:27 AM

Lea is right...you are only choosing what is posted in the Politics section. He has posted in numerous other sections of this forum and has been polite. I'm sure that I could find equally, if not more, offensive posts down in that section. Perhaps I should go down there and start putting the hammer down?

And besides, how is his posts any different than what you put in here to bypass the censor? Does using the F word really make you feel better?
Posted by: RickB

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:51 AM

Quick question. Are the ads still overlapping for those having the issue? Made a couple of changes, so please reply if you're still having that problem.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:51 AM

I did a minute ago in a Private Message.

I'm on Chrome under Winblows XP pro

Edit: Yeah, still there in PM when I view a message and reply.

But this looks good here.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:57 AM

Ok, need to fix up the private message area, couple minutes.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 10:58 AM

For me, everything else is fine except for the speed.

I don't know if it's my end (I'm at work so I can't do any checking on packets or whatever) or not, but there is some considerable lag.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:06 AM

Ads still overlapping on my end.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:11 AM

What OS / browser are you using Nana?

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:14 AM

I'd also recommend anyone having the issue, try restarting their browser or doing a hard refresh. You might still have the old stylesheet settings cached and not getting the updated changes.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:18 AM

Still overlapping in PM-land for me.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:34 AM

Is it when viewing a PM or just replying to one, or both? wink

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:38 AM

Looks like it's when I go to read a message.

And now I just experienced a hickup...I responded to a PM from someone and it ended up posting above their response.

I'll take screenshots when I get home.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:44 AM

I believe some of the time issues like you just experienced as well as maybe even those with issues about their own posts being marked unread is due to the server setup here and I believe Neil is working on a plan to address that.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: RickB
Quick question. Are the ads still overlapping for those having the issue? Made a couple of changes, so please reply if you're still having that problem.
That has fixed it for me in the Reply windows, seems you're limiting the size of pics in the Reply windows now so that seems to have fixed it.

10.5.8 Safari, no cache cleaning done, it just works now.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: RickB
I believe some of the time issues like you just experienced as well as maybe even those with issues about their own posts being marked unread is due to the server setup here and I believe Neil is working on a plan to address that.

Thanks for helping out Rick. cool I have seen where I Submit on a post and it says that it was a minute or two before I posted. I'm sure that has something to do with the "you can only post every 0 seconds" error in the OP's thread starter.

While you're in the neighborhood, any idea why the smilies are putting a Return before and after themselves? My sentence above had no Returns on my part.

Also we have the ads problem with run on sentences with no spaces. It's easy to reproduce. I'll compose a PM to you with a repeating word with no spaces. I know, why would anyone do that, but it also has happened with long urls. It also shows in the Preview window if you're composing a PM or Reply. Can the text window size be limited in some way?

Thx again.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/01/10 12:32 PM

Rick, I am using OS 10.4.11 & Firefox.

I just deleted the caches, restarted Firefox & now the overlapping of ads has disappeared when viewing the forums.

Ads are still overlapping slightly now when replaying to a post. However, the overlapping is not inside the replay box like before. The ads are way to the right now.

Thank you for your time & effort in this matter.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/05/10 08:38 PM

7 seconds to load a page still.

OSX 10.6.4 using Chrome
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/08/10 07:35 AM

Just in the last 2 days, it has gotten really slow again for me. 10 - 15 seconds delay/stall from click to the page begins to load. FF shows "Waiting for www.mactech.com" during that time.

Re: This place is almost unusable... - 07/08/10 07:39 AM

yeah, 10 seconds here at work using Chrome on Windows XP Pro