Archiving old posts to speed up things?

Posted by: Jim_

Archiving old posts to speed up things? - 06/18/10 06:17 AM

There must some kind of cookie corruption between the PM notification issue, the 0 seconds message, the showing of our own posts as unread, and the anomaly where all post show as unread.

Since the PM notification thing happened also on a machine I have just been using for about 3 weeks from a different location it's nothing long standing with our cookies.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 01:01 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that this forum software is just goobered, and the only solution is switching over to Drupal's native forum software (or a more robust package other than ubbThreads). Problem is, it most likely requires us to forfeit the existing threads/posts and start over - which we already know that nobody wants to do for one reason or another.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 01:14 PM

You are probably right.

I wonder if Neil has thought about starting fresh and just archiving this one? Make it searchable and readable, just not able to post to it anymore? Who cares about post counts!

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
You are probably right.

I wonder if Neil has thought about starting fresh and just archiving this one? Make it searchable and readable, just not able to post to it anymore? Who cares about post counts!
That would be a good plan. Keep the archive but start over. No problem here.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 03:55 PM

I don't have a problem with that plan, either.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 07:13 PM

Works for me. I'm not really sentimental about losing all the old stuff. I've never understood why some peeps are. If we were shut down, never to post ever again, like it almost turned out a couple of years ago, yeah, I'd lock myself in the closet and cry. But, seriously, unless I want to jack with somebody and drag up an old post that would embarrass them stupid? (Not that I ever would. whistle )

So, can we float all the old posts out to cyberspace on a burning ship? Now that would be really cool.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 09:10 PM

You're a Viking, I'm a Viking, we're all Vikings here.

Burn baby burn!

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 09:26 PM

The only caveat that I can think of is that when new people come it would look like a new forum with no posts. But on the other hand, as it is now, some new users may be put off by the speed and are just passing it by. To be honest there are times that if I'm in a hurry even I don't bother until I have the time to browse.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/22/10 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I have a sneaking suspicion that this forum software is just goobered
I don't know about that though. Click around here, same software. Could it be the ads here, the theme, or the size of the database that UBB can't handle or something? Except for the Lounge and the Soapbox the other forums here are comparable to the UBB forums post count.

Maybe archiving the Lounge and Soapbox only, to keep the other forums populated and have the data available for immediate searching?

Neil, can you do that, just pull out the Lounge and Soapbox posts and see if it improves things? Can they be put back if need be?

Or could it be because of the user data base size here? We have 240,000 registered users as compared to about 8,600 there. I don't see how that would matter but just a thought.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 05:28 AM

I see there are no ads today, same slowdown though.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 05:49 AM

ads are there on the right.

Hmmm...so it may not be the software.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 06:12 AM

It makes seriously good sense to keep the tech forums alive and in way back mode, for sure. Nothing more discouraging than checking out a new place and seeing little or no activity. OK, worse is seeing last post was a year ago.

Eh, whatever works. But I'll bet good money some peeps will rant and wail about losing the old Lounge. The Box? Shoot, bet we'd get volunteers to torch its sordid past. laugh

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 07:00 AM

Wait, what is that can you are holding behind your back?? And is that a lighter in your other hand?? laugh

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
ads are there on the right.
I don't have any ads top or sides, you do today? Strange. Here's what I get.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 08:13 AM

Yup, I see them in Quick Response and with regular Reply. I am at work, so I can't take a screen shot. But there they are, top and right. The ones on the right are actually overlapping stuff.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 08:13 AM

Okay, Firefox is displaying ads, Safari isn't. I tried another computer and Safari is displaying ads though.

Checked my Safari prefs and an AdBlocker is enabled. I have no idea how it got installed. I'll need to look at this later. It wasn't running yesterday morning.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 08:12 AM

Nope. Just really, really big firecrackers.

xxxxxxxx

laugh

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I see there are no ads today, same slowdown though.

Not for me.. I now have to wait upwards of 7 seconds before the page starts to load.

Set it adrift and burn it......
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 11:47 AM

I would gladly set the archive of posts adrift for faster reading of current forum threads/posts. Tain't fun reading this slow pace.

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 12:00 PM

Okay, I remember now. I installed AdBlocker to see if that would help this site, but I turned it off. It updated itself and re-enabled itself in the process.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Problem with PM notifications - 06/23/10 07:02 PM

The speed problem is mostly with the hosting company's server. The main sites are slow as heck as well (about the same as the forums). Part of the problem is that Drupal is just an unruly mess when it comes to server databases.

When I ran The Graphic Mac on Drupal I had much the same problem. When I took the exact same posts, images, and ads and ported it all over to WordPress, the speed increase was 10-fold at minimum - real night & day comparison.

However, WordPress is not nearly as flexible as Drupal - so it's a trade-off.