Delay still present

Posted by: MacBozo

Delay still present - 06/03/10 07:39 AM

The connection delay still persists. 3 - 5 seconds from click til the page actually begins to load. The page loads really fast after that initial delay.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 01:51 PM

I've noticed that too. It still takes a few seconds to get there, but once there, after the first loading for the session/day, subsequent pages load fast, it used to load in pieces and parts.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 01:59 PM

I still get the loading in pieces experience. The AppleCentral logo shows up after about five seconds, then a quarter of a second later the rest of the page loads.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 05:00 PM

I've always experienced this delay once the new look & feel was complete.

Neil, have you tried turning OFF the compression? Sometimes using code compression actually slows things down for people with high-speed connections.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 05:04 PM

Yeah... here too.
Didn't want to say anything though....

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I still get the loading in pieces experience. The AppleCentral logo shows up after about five seconds, then a quarter of a second later the rest of the page loads.
I get the same thing exactly, after the wait the AppleCentral Logo comes first, then the rest of the page. What I meant by pieces loading, for example, the Search box. MacTech Only Search: and the Community Search: text show first. Then the rounded corners of the search field area draw, then the horizontal lines of the search field oval would draw, then the GO buttons appear. After the initial loading, all items draw at the same time. I can reproduce the pieces loading by reloading a page or emptying cache.

I posted a video below. I hit reload at around 0:05, (the part with the web address is when the page was blank and waiting to load.) At 0:25 I clicked the Forums link, as you see, then after it connects it all draws instantly. It draws a little slower than usual because the screen capture software is using a lot of CPU.

It used to do the pieces parts thing all the time until the recent move, so that has improved. Now it only does it after it's not cached or if it reloads.

http://gesplus.com/mc/acscreengrab.mov
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Delay still present - 06/03/10 10:18 PM

Just for giggles 'n grins, I went to a whole list of Mac forums and timed page loads. They all loaded in one second! Now that makes for fast reading and really very nice. smile

I tried around 7 or 8 just to be sure.

I feel like I am on a modem here at MacTech.

This forum is still slow. Takes 3 to 4-1/2 seconds for me to open different posts and then go back to other threads.

Disclaimer: I am patient. I am willing to wait for the kinks to be worked out here. I am not griping. Just the facts, ma'am. No pinging or route tracing necessary.

Disclosure: I don't even load ads! Have them turned off! Yeah, I am not supportive and all that other stuff. Sorry, I don't have ads on for any web pages I visit. I'm the only person in the world who does this -- so I'll probably die and go to he!!. wink

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Delay still present - 06/04/10 04:25 AM

You are lucky to have a fast connection. Here in the Philippines there fastest connection is 203 MPS.Can you imagine they do not even have a digital signal only analogue even from Manila.J
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Delay still present - 06/04/10 06:56 AM

That clip was deliberate enough so I could see what I'd always seen, but really saw it for the first time. If that makes sense. wink

Re: Delay still present - 06/04/10 01:21 PM

Okay, I just figured out that when I reply to a post, after hitting Submit, the page loads in pieces parts the first time.

It doesn't happen when clicking on new threads tough, just replies, and the other times mentioned above.

Re: Delay still present - 06/04/10 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I get the same thing exactly, after the wait the AppleCentral Logo comes first, then the rest of the page.
It's actually the AppleCentral logo and the AppleCentral Network: Tech Support|Open Source|Apple News|Register Domains|SSL Certificates|iPod Deals|Mac Deals|Mac Book Shelf bar that loads first, then the lag for the rest of the page.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Delay still present - 06/05/10 04:46 AM

Watching FF, it's waiting for mactech.com to respond.