105 - One hundred five !

Posted by: KateSorensen

105 - One hundred five ! - 04/12/10 06:13 PM

Congrats, Neil!

When we first arrived on your turf I noted an average of 40 people + - were viewing the forum.

It has steadily gone up until I just noted 105 persons!! That is great. The word is getting around.

smile

<-- Click for bigger

Posted by: drjohn

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 08:29 AM

Who is online? Where is that found? I don't see it anywhere.
Posted by: Lea

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 09:09 AM

Whoa. Me, either, drjohn. I hardly ever looked at it, so I guess I didn't miss it much. laugh

Posted by: Jim_

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 12:02 PM

It used to be in the menus with User List etc.

http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthreads.php/online

Here's another way to do it, sorting the user list by Last Online, it shows those that are cloaked too. shocked It goes by the last 10 minutes for those not cloaked (yellow). Those cloaked will not be in yellow. The Last Online times listed are actually when you last logged in, either manually or if you have your browser set to log in automatically, not your recent activity.

http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showmembers/sb/14/page/1/like/-1

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 12:46 PM

Sounds like a lot of trouble just to see who's on. Shrug. Hmmmm. Unless ~ The Mods can tell if we've been sleeping, can tell if we're awake, can tell if we've been bad or good . . .

I'm curious ~ I guess we're stuck with somebody being able to add us to their "Watched Peeps" list in their My Stuff prefs, huh? That one is beyond creepy. Really.

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

I'm curious ~ I guess we're stuck with somebody being able to add us to their "Watched Peeps" list in their My Stuff prefs, huh? That one is beyond creepy. Really.
I guess that's been around since MacMinute days, I never noticed it till someone mentioned it here.

I wonder if anyone has a profile page from someone other than themselves saved from those days, to verify that the option was enabled then. The option shows up on our profile page when someone else looks at our profile, or on the menu under our name in posts.

It's really no big deal. Besides the fact it's a public forum and everything here is Googled anyway, if someone wants to stalk all they have to do is go to our profile and "Show User's Posts." Or click on our name and it's in the drop down menu.

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 02:28 PM

You say benign, I say creepy. But then I don't understand why somebody would want to follow a thread from afar with some kind of email notification, either.

And don't tell me I'm paranoid, because everybody whispers that I am, and they just think I don't know . . .

Posted by: carp

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 09:15 PM

Your paranoid laugh

Whose online been around for a long long time . No biggie to me

Thread following with email notification , Yes some people use that for those hot and heavy threads - mainly if they are in a debate with someone and they don't visit the forum like daily . They later turn that off until another hot thread pops up .

I'm with you , I don't bother with any of that laugh
Posted by: neil

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 09:41 PM

I believe there's a setting in each of your prefs to allow someone to see whether you are online or not.

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/13/10 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: neil
I believe there's a setting in each of your prefs to allow someone to see whether you are online or not.
That works sort of. If you go to the users list and sort by last online, the ones in yellow have been on in the last 10 minutes, the ones not in yellow but above someone in yellow are online in the last 10 minutes, even though they are set to not show online in the who's on line list.

The "last online" time under each user in the first link is really the last time they logged in, not their last activity, but that doesn't affect the sorting order in the list. Their last activity, the last time they clicked a link, affects the sorting order.

Re: 105 - One hundred five ! - 04/14/10 06:17 AM

There's also an option for you to add people to a "watched" list. I don't know what kind of notification you get when somebody you choose to "watch" is posting/online, but it's a creepy option.

It's the third option down under the Watched categories. And it's also available if you simply click on a user's name, above their avatar in any thread.

No, carp, this isn't the same thing as "Who's online," or "email me because I have no life and need to know every word that gets typed into this thread." And it's not the Buddy thing. That feature I like, it makes it easier to PM my favorite peeps. But it's not the same thing.

It's not a deal breaker, but it is the only thing I don't like about this place. And, obviously, I seriously don't like it.

I'm over and totally out on this.
LL